which compact table tripod for e-pl5 + 12-35mm?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by CanonConvert, Feb 14, 2015.

1. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    Hi guys, I am currently using this cheap table tripod to shoot food:

the good thing is it's damn light and portable. the bad thing is the head sags when placed at an unfavorable angle.

I am currently exploring other better options, but without sacrificing portability. already have a gorillapod but find it too bulky to carry along.
    looking at something like the Manfrotto Pixi ( but with much longer extended legs and ability to shoot in portrait orientation) - what do you guys recommend?

2. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Which Gorillapod do you have? The "original" is small. I roll it and carry it in a vest pocket. I'm not sure it is strong enough for the biggest lenses like the 12-35, though.
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I bought one and think it's great for M43 cameras. It's quite sturdy for the $$ and easily packs into a messenger bag with my Thinktank MM20 case, folio case and other equipment.
  4. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I have a pedco ultrapod II and it's light (it's plastic), strong and cheap. It's a DSLR tripod so no problems with the E-M10 with 12-40. You cannot change the height in any way, there is only a simple ball head to move. Not sure if it works well for vertical shots too I can check it if you want. The Slik Mini Pro DQ was a little more serious cheap alternative I checked out.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I have one of the PIXI Mini Tripod Black and like it a lot for table top. Simple and cheap though not really in the same class as something like the FotoPro M5-Mini Compact Tripod. But then again it's 1/5 the price so...
  7. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    the main reasons I'm holding back against the Pixi / Ultrapod is

1, max height (pixi only goes up to 13.5cm, which is not tall enough for food)
    2. portrait orientation (pixi can't do a full 90deg tilt for portrait shots).

at the same time, i want it to be pocketable - hence table tripods like Silk are overly bulky. any other suggestion that could fit the bill?
  8. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    i have a slr-zoom and its smaller cousin (forgot the name). it's not exactly pocketable, especially after putting in a ballhead. :(
  9. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    other suggestions guys?
  10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I have a Slik Mini (IV, iirc)... it holds position fine but the adjustment is not very precise.

edit: it's a Slik Mini-Pro V.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  11. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Second vote for the pedco ultrapod II, useful to be able to fix it to posts with the velcro strap.
    It feels a bit plastic, but I managed a decent set of low light shots with my em5 and lumix 35-100/2.8 at full zoom in NY last year.
    *Much* sturdier than a gorillapod - don't get one if you're planning long exposures!

EDIT - on a re-read, the pedco's plastic head will prob also sag at the angles you're mentioning...but that little fotopro oldracer posted looks good for that. I'd want the pedco for out in the streets, and the fotopro for tricky angles and heavier lenses.

RE-EDIT - jeepers, that fotopro's £100! Too much for my taste for a tabletop :)
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  12. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    few will want to spend this much

I bought a Leica tabletop tripod and Leica large ball head a long time ago It's incredible
  13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    MeFoto has a cute tabletop tripod called the DayTrip. Might be worth a look.

As noted earlier, Slik has several mini-tripods available.

I have an old Pentax tabletop tripod that is no longer available. It's pretty solid and easily held my EM5 with 12-50 and FL600 flash steady. It looked like this (altho this one says Polaroid). The legs rotate to fit together for portability, but since they're not hinged, they are rock steady. Similar to the Leica table tripod.

14. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
  15. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
  16. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I own four tripods and a clamp and this is my most used tripod - the trek-tech t-pod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/624094-REG/

It easily holds my Olympus E3 DSLR with a huge Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 lens. I replaced the magnetic ballhead with the more robust ballhead from my Benbo tripod.

I've taken the t-pod hiking and on several trips.
  17. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    Have a look at the Tamrac Zipshot... I've used it with my E-M1 and P45-200

A little bit different but very light and handy...