1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which compact M4/3s to get right now?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by matai, Jun 21, 2011.

1. matai

matai Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011
    So I want to get a compact micro 4/3's camera right now, I may be able to wait about a month though... I'm set right now on getting the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 lens and then trying to buy just a body. I want to be able to slip it into a coat pocket or any other larger pocket.

I'm basically looking at the GF2 and E-PL2 as my main options, on DPReview it looks like the E-PL2 inches in front with noise levels and sharpness.

What do you all think? Should I wait for the GF3 and Olympus E-PM1 to come out before making a decision?

Thanks!

2. matai

matai Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011
    Oh if it helps, I plan on using this mainly for carrying around everywhere to take snapshots of the kids, friends, street stuff and will probably carry it up in the mountains too.

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I like what Olympus is doing and, although some people say IS is not important I feel that it is, especially when not using optical viewfinder.
    I would wait for Olympus release and get one of their new cams.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I think the E-pl2 is the more solid option between those cameras. It will make more sense to buy with the kit lens as well. The 20mm isn't a stabilized lens, so the fastest shutter speed you'd be able to reliably shoot at is around 1/40th on a panasonic body. On an Olympus body however it will be stabilized, meaning you will get 2-3 stops slower shutter speed - rather than 1/40th you'd be able to shoot with the lens around 1/10th perhaps even as low as 1/5th of a second if you are steady.

I have my eyes set on the E-pl2 as well - it is a great camera, you also get better out-of-camera jpegs than from panasonic. I am going to wait until the new camera announcements at the end of the month from Olympus - you'll likely see a price drop on the e-pl2 once they are announced as well (or else you'll be persuaded to wait for one of the new ones if they look really good on the spec sheet!).

5. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Agreed, IS is very important. When I had a GF1 and later a GH1, I definitely missed having the in-body IS (being primarily a Pentax user, I'm used to it!) - Olympus has got it down and I believe it is an essential part of modern cameras.

7. matai

matai Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011
    That's some good info! Noise levels are really important to me. I'm very angry with my current Panasonic FZ100 for that reason...

I'm also very interested in low-light photography.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Frankly, you can't go wrong with any of them with that 20mm lens out front. It will take care of all the heavy lifting. If you can wait for the newest ones to come to market, I'd wait. If you NEED a camera for summer photos, then buy one now.

Any of them are LIGHT years ahead of your FZ100 in regards to low light performance and noise. I also came to this format from the Panasonic superzoom world. I still keep it around for outdoors photography and when I need all that reach.

Good luck with your purchase and make sure to share some photos when you finally dive in!

9. matai

matai Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011
    Also, if it makes a difference, I do plan on getting either a full DSLR or the GH3 when it comes out. I know I'll want a full sized camera as well, so something small to pair with that seems to makes sense to me, possibly even the GF3.