Pen-F bodies and Olympus lenses

12f2

17f1.8

12-40f2.8

14-42R

14-150

30f3.5 macro

and P12-32,

knowing of course any lens can go on any body whenever, which lens would you put on which body as the primary/normal/standard/usual/whatever lens that would be in place most of the time and swapped out with another when desired?

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I don't understand the question.
Are you asking if any camera body works better with a certain lens?
No, it does not. With the exception that a heavy lens might benefit being paired with a camera with a beefier grip

Micro 4/3 is an interchangeable lens system; best to be treated as such and change those lenses frequently as the occasion/images require it.
For anything else there is always the iPhone ;)

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Too many different combinations, for different tasks.
What works for me, would not work for you.

As I said before in a similar thread, there is no ONE solution.
If I am not shooting long, why would I keep the large/heavy 14-150 on the camera?​
If I don't shoot macro, why would I keep the macro lens on the camera?​
If I am not constantly shooting in LOW light, why should I keep either the 12/2 or 17/1.8 on the camera?​
etc. etc.​
I configure my kit for the specific event/shoot that I am going to, every time.
I think about the event, what I am going to shoot, and how.​
Then I select and configure the appropriate camera(s) and lens(es).​
If I am shooting a 2-camera event/shoot, I would configure each camera to complement the other.
It only takes a couple of minutes to reconfigure the gear.

In your list, I would choose the EM1-mk1 + 14-42R, as my primary kit. Because the 14-42R is the closest to my P-Lumix 12-60.
However, for me, this lens might as well be a body cap, as I evaluate and reconfigure the kit for each event/shoot. So odds are that I would be changing the lens anyway.
Again, it only takes a couple of minutes to reconfigure the gear, so what is the big deal?

So I repeat, there is no ONE solution, every alternative has pros/cons.

It is YOUR task as the photographer to select the appropriate gear for the shoot.

In the end, YOU will determine which lens YOU are using the most, and probably keep that lens on the camera.

Last edited:

Underwater

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
I have the M1mkI and the M5mkII; I would put the bigger lenses on the M1 to take advantage of the grip and ergonomics and the smaller lens most needing stabilization on the M5. For me and my lenses, the Oly 30mm only gets used on the M5, especially since firmware upgrades give it focus stacking.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Purely as a default - E-M1 with 12-40, 12-32 or 14-150. E-M5 with the latter two. Depends on what other lenses I bring and for what reason. I wouldn't pick up the PEN-F since the creative art dial hurts my fingers.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
Going on the thought it's better leaving a lens on camera than changing them to keep dust etc. out so pick the combinations that might most remain static. Yes, I take some pictures when I see something I want a photo of. Due to health reasons maybe not as much as I'd like so I supplement with adult toy soldiers and other things.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Of the items listed I have:
E-M1 + O14-150. Now my wife's camera. Previously I used it with the 12-40.

Pen-F + P12-32 (when I want a very small camera with me).

Now you just need to sell all the others and add:
E-M1 II + O7-14, O9-18, O12-100, O60, O75-300
and you will have what I use today.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
I appreciate the helpful responses. I'll be experimenting but thought some initial input would be helpful. I'm going to start off with M5-II and 14-150, M1-I and 12-40 and Pen-F and 17f1.8.

I presume the fewer times one changes lenses the less likely one has a problem with dust etc. so the goal of this is to find which lens will stay on which body the greatest percentage of the time. Possibly one or two of them might even be permanent with the third body swapping lenses when desired. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again to those who offered helpful comments.

Phocal

God
I presume the fewer times one changes lenses the less likely one has a problem with dust etc.

Really not sure why you are worried about this. I’m always changing my lenses in all environments (even in the rain) and have no dust problems on any of my cameras or lenses.

Phocal

God
Forgot to add that unless you are running all weather sealed gear it doesn’t really matter. Those zooms will suck in all kinds of dust.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I presume the fewer times one changes lenses the less likely one has a problem with dust etc. ....
Micro 4/3 cameras are built to have their lenses changed, in the field. Normal precautions (like avoid rain and super dusty) are enough to allow years of use without having to do much to keep that sensor clean.
In the unlikely event of a dirty sensor (like having part of your lunch fall into the camera when lens removed :doh:) it is not the end of the world to then clean it, yourself or professionally.
But really, at the end of the day, it's just changing a lens, not open heart surgery :rolleyes:

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I appreciate the helpful responses. I'll be experimenting but thought some initial input would be helpful. I'm going to start off with M5-II and 14-150, M1-I and 12-40 and Pen-F and 17f1.8.

I presume the fewer times one changes lenses the less likely one has a problem with dust etc. so the goal of this is to find which lens will stay on which body the greatest percentage of the time. Possibly one or two of them might even be permanent with the third body swapping lenses when desired. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again to those who offered helpful comments.

You presume wrong. Unless you are changing lens in a dusty environment, with a lot of dust in the air.

You are taking an almost paranoid approach to not changing lenses.
You might as well buy a body for every lens.

I was at a volleyball match tonight; Freshman, JV and Varsity.
I changed lenses on my D7200 at least 6 times in each of the Freshman and JV games and at least a dozen times in the Varsity game.
So total of at least 24 times, tonight.

And tomorrow, I am reconfiguring the kit for Friday's football game, with a different lens.
And on Saturday, reconfiguring back for Volleyball the next week. Where I will change lenses at least 24 times that night.

Last edited:
Real Name
M@
I currently have the E-M5 MkII, and will 'upgrade' to the E-M5 MkIII when it comes out next month. I have both battery grip components for the MkII, and will get the add-on grip for the MkIII, but the vertical/battery grip option is gone. I can live without it, I barely use it on the MkII anyway.

Right now, the MkII wears the upper/landscape grip and the 12-40 f/2.8. That's a best all-around setup for me, but it's not the lightest. If I'm going to shoot a little quick video, I may remove the grip and switch to the 14-42 EZ lens. That setup is lighter and more compact. For reaching out there, I have the 14-150 II. (I previously had the 40-150 which was awesome in spite of being a cheap-ish feeling plasticky lens.)

Latest threads

Top Bottom