Which colour OM-D body do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hazwing, Nov 27, 2012.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I'm trying to decide on which colour OMD I plan on buying.

Personally I think I like the black more. Seems like it would be less eye catching and making less of statement. Not sure how the silver olympus lens go with it. Do the darker panasonic lens suit the black body more?

The silver has more a retro feel to it. Seems like it would suit silver colour lenses better
  2. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Well I start out liking the retro look and thinking about getting the Silver, however my wife was lean toward the Black.

Anyway it turn out we end of with the Black as it was that one that was avaliable. I am glad to got the Black. I use the 1st part of the grip all the time and it doesn't look out of place.

What is more an discussion topic is the lens. I originally looking at the Silver, because of the Silver lenses Olympus got. However for some reason I really like to look of the Silver 75mm of the Black OMD, since the 75mm is quite big, it somehow create a nice balance contrast. Also like how the Black Panasonic 14mm look on it and looking forward to see how the Pan 25 feel on the OMD.

I do think that Olympus should release and mix of Black and silver lenses, but hey we all have issues with some of Olympus marketing techniques, lens colours, hoods, pouches...and so one.

Anyway that is just my 2 pences, I'm sure other will have a different opinion to my.
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Over Thanksgiving, my whole extended family was exposed to my silver one and my brother-in-law's black one. Everyone preferred the look of the silver. I preferred it when I bought it and my brother-in-law wanted silver too but settled for black because he needed it quickly before a long trip began and black was all he could get.

When you raise the camera to your eye, it doesn't matter. But when it sitting on a table or shelf, the silver looks better to me, particularly given that I have four silver lenses now and will probably get a fourth sometime next year if I buy the new 17mm. The silver body looks good with black or silver lenses, the black looks kind of funky with the silver lenses...

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I thought I wanted a black one, so ordered one. But when I opened the box it was silver, and since I didn't really want to wait any longer to play with my new toy I just kept it.

Now that I've had it I really, really like the color, and prefer it to the black ones I've seen. Looks really classy with any color lens. It's obviously the capabilities of the camera that make me love it most, but if I had to choose again I'd pick silver to begin with.
  5. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    No question, it has to be black.*

I went for black because I knew the grip would live on my E-M5 and I didn't like the silver baseplate above the black grip. :rolleyes:

Most of my lenses are black, but the two exceptions (45/1.8 and 75/1.8) both look good on the black body.

* But I'm from Melbourne, so of course it has to be black :cool:
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I wanted a black one, and I've always preferred black digital cameras. But I ultimately decided to go for the silver EM5, because to me it looks more retro in silver with the leather textured skin. It reminds me a bit of my first (and only) 35mm SLR, a Fujica STX-1.

I also have a black EPM1 and thought the silver 45/1.8 would look funky on it, but I kind of like how it looks. Now that I've had to mix black and silver lens/camera, I no longer insist on black cameras with black lenses. :wink:
  7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I own both colours, but I prefer the silver both in looks, and the feel of the "leather" on the body. The material on the black has a scratchy feel with the cross hatching, compared to the rounded pebles on the silver.

But why do I have both when I wanted the silver one from the start? I wanted to be the first person at my camera club to have one, and when I walked into the store they had a few black body only cameras in stock so I grabbed one, thinking I'd sell it once I got the silver one.

A month later when I got the silver one I liked the camera so much I decided to keep the black one as my everyday wet weather camera, and keep the silver one for special events, when I wanted to show off.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bacio

Bacio New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Definitely - silver body and black lens.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    To be honest I don't really find the E-M5 to be a classic beauty of a camera, so I chose the black so as to be a bit more purposeful looking. It does look a bit weird with the silver 45/1.8 lens, though.
  10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Wanted to buy a black OMD, so I went to a local store.. asked for a black one, they said it's gonna be $50 more than the silver and the black wasn't even in stock!

So I settled with a silver OMD... didn't think much of it at the time (I was flip flopping between black and silver anyway before the purchase)... but once I've purchased some lenses (black, silver and other shade of greys) I'm SO GLAD that I picked up the silver one.

Even with the HLD-6 grip, I think it looks GREAT with any lens colors.
  11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Silver because it reminds me of the classic OM 1 I never had but always admired.
  12. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
  13. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I went with silver for the Retro look.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
  14. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    True, but the black reminds me of the OM-2S that I admired but could never afford...:wink:
  15. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    I own the black and love it. I also like the way my silver lens looks on it. I know come people don't like the contrast between the black body and silver lens.
  16. cookedart

cookedart Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012
    Silver. It looks like matching black lenses will be 'limited' editions.
  17. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Silver it is. Once I saw it in store, I knew it had to be a silver OM-D.
  18. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Silver, my local bricks and mortar phoned to say they had one for me but no choice of colour, I wanted silver so phoned back to tell them I would wait and couldn't believe my luck when they said it was silver ... serendipity
  19. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Darn it. I wanted a silver but when you are getting a 2nd hand one you don't have a choice. (Unless you are willing to wait for one to be available.)

Maybe when I buy OMD EM6 or 7...
  20. Chris Pringle

Chris Pringle New to Mu-43

Nov 27, 2012
    We bought our OM-D EM5 last week. Although silver was our favorite color from the get-go, we settled for the black one. It was $200 cheaper than the silver one w/ 12-50 mm lens. We also didn't like the bulkiness of the 12-50 lens. The black one w/ 14-42mm lens kit seemed more appropriate (compact!) to carry when bike touring (something we like to do.) At the end, sensibility rather than impulsiveness set in - we couldn't justify paying an additional $200 bucks for what seemed to us a very comparable lens (we are noobs) and a nicer body color. Other than these both cameras perform exactly the same way.