Which colour/material Billingham bag?

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
Here is a very simple question. I'm about to purchase a new Billingham Hadley Small Pro bag and I just can't decide which colour or material to go for. I already have one Billingham bag, that I inherited from my father; it's now over 30 years old and is still in very good condition, which is testament to my Dad's care and Billingham's quality. That's in the traditional khaki with tan leather, but it's made of Nytex, a material that Billingham's no longer use.

I don't much care for Burgundy - too red - but I'd be happy with any of the others, even the new grey colour, and wondered what experience other Billingham owners might have had of the different colours and also the materials - canvass or the entirely synthetic FibreNyte. I know what Billingham say in their advertising, but how do actual owners feel? Do the dark colours fade or discolour at all; is canvass nicer to the touch than FibreNyte? Billingham bags are expensive; I don't want to make the wrong choice.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
It depends on what you're going to be using the bag for.

I have my preferred brand/bag in black for formal occasions and sand canvas for everyday use. My only issue with either colour is the black shows up white frosting/icing from wedding cake (twice now).

I like my Billingham bag, its in FibreNyte/Khaki. I prefer muted colours personally, the black looks nice as well. I don't mind if it fades a bit, adds to the look imho... my 10c worth..

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
I have been wrestling with the same question. At the moment my local camera store has a sale on Billingham bags (20% off) so the time to buy one is now. My thinking at the moment is that the fibrenyte is slightly lighter weight than the canvas. The black on black bag is too dark for my taste, leaving the black and tan or the olive green and chocolate. The khaki and chocolate is sold out and the red one is too "loud". I am leaning towards the olive one for being less conspicuous.

Regards, C.

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
I have 3 Billingham bags. The 72, Hadley Digital & Hadley Small Pro, all in black. 2 of them are canvas, & 1 in FibreNyte. Honestly, it's difficult to tell which is which. I'd need to look at the tag inside the bag to know the difference. The difference in weight is negligible. I'd probably get another in FibreNyte if I were to buy another, only because durability is said to be better, but as of now, I have not seen any difference after several years. Get the color combo you like regardless of which material it may only be available in. Color is to your taste. In retrospect, I really like the black & tan. Just for reference, either material will clean up easily with a damp cloth. I have not seen any fading in the material.
I bought many bags over the years, not wanting to invest the $ in a Billingham. That only wasted a lot of $ until I finally bought the Billingham. I should have done it in the first place.

Last edited:

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, since my last post I bought the bag. In the end I went for the black canvass with tan leather, the colour combination I liked best, and it looks lovely.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom