Which color of E5 should I choose?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Yanning, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Yanning

Yanning New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    Recently, I want to buy E-M5. I am a freshman. I want to know which color is not easy to be dirty ? And which lens should I choose?the 14-42MM or 12-50MM? Thank you very much.
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would think each color would be equally able to stay clean. If this is something you are worried about - getting it dirty - you might want to get the underwater cover! It is weather sealed but that does not mean you can take it into the mud and expect it to survive. Right now the silver is harder to find in stock and some places are selling them at a premium.

As for the lens the 14-42 is much cheaper but is not weather sealed. The 12-50 is weather sealed and gives you 2mm extra on the wide end and 8mm on the long end. However the 14-42 is smaller and lighter.
  3. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    My personal take is for the silver. It looks more classic and both Silver and black lenses look good on it.
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I can imagine scratches and dirt as showing up more easily on the silver but I haven't read any posts to go along with that theory.

If you're into retro cameras, get the silver one. There was a funny thread from earlier where this came in handy since the OP's wife mistook the OM-D for an old, inexpensive camera. :rofl:

On the other hand, if you want your camera to appear more modern (like me), get the black version. While some people think the silver lenses on a black body stick out like a sore thumb, I disagree. I have the silver 12/2 (and previously owned the 45/1.8) and think they look fine.

Either way, I don't think you'll go wrong with choosing either color.
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Depends.. ... on the camera..

Silver if Olympus used chroming or anodization. Anybody know? Black ones have been confirmed to be painted and there are numerous reports of paint flaking off.

IMO, it doesn't matter...

I prefer chrome.... Leica's process of chroming (its a different process actually.. can't remember the name) results in a much more durable finish than their painted cameras. I would hope the same is true for Olympus cameras.
  6. troutgeek

troutgeek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2012
    Madison, WI area.
    ... Silver, and as for the lens, the 12-50 is also a macro and weather sealed.
  7. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    My vote would be for the silver one (for better look with both silver and black lenses IMHO) and the 12-50 for the weather sealed aspect and macro/motorized zoom functionality. It's what I went for though so I'm biased ; ) though ultimately, different strokes, different folks.
  8. Yanning

Yanning New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    Thank you very much. You all have given me great suggestions.
  9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I have both colours. For me I use the black for every day shooting, going downtown, and the silver for more elegant events where I want to be noticed and make other photographers jealous.
  10. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    my vote the one YOU like not what WE like ;)

or buy BOTH :) problem solved
  11. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I like the silver one.Classic looking.
    But it is a personal choice I think and you can pictures of both and choose what you like.
  12. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Another vote for black :)
  13. Yanning

Yanning New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    so what lens do you use usually ?
  14. Idreamphoto

Idreamphoto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Are you kidding? Elegant events..... I really love that one.