1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which circular polarizer do you use with your Oly M.Zuiko 12-40 2.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SolPix, Jun 9, 2014.

1. SolPix

SolPix Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    New Mexico
    Hello--

I'm looking for a quality circular polarizer for my recent purchase of the 12-40. B&H recommended the B+W Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter, but I took a look at the reviews and one reviewer found that it touched the lens surface. He posted about it on that other site and another person described the same issue. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3644367

It's not clear if the issue is the lens or the filter. I'd like to avoid trying it, only to possibly damage the lens, and then having to return it.

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    After positive experiences with past Marumi CPLs, Ive just purchased their latest offering, Marumi Exus CPL for around $80. i'll let you know how it goes when I go shooting next, I think they are great value for money and perform well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SolPix

SolPix Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    New Mexico
    Thanks for your reply, Kaiser. The Marumi Exus is on my list. Have you put it on your 12-40 yet? If not, would you mind posting again to say if it has the same issue as the B+W, or not?

4. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    I have that filter. It most definitely does not touch the lens

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kaiser

Kaiser Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Sorry, I only have the 9-18 - Ill also be using it with the Pana 25, 45 1.8 and the 75 1.8.
    Comes in a nice usable hard case and has teflon threads for less chance of thread binding. Hoping to get out on my days of to try it out.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. it'sAlvin

it'sAlvin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Bay Area CA
    Alvin
    I use the filter you mentioned also. No problems here!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I have the B+W XS-Pro Polarizer, and it has no problem on my 12-40

• Like Like x 1
  8. SolPix

SolPix Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    New Mexico
    Well, I have an experimental urge to try the B+W just to see. I've never had a problem with even much less expensive filters touching a lens element before, so I find this to be a curious thing. In the discussion referenced above, a poster other than the OP had the same issue with a Heliopan UV filter, which might suggest that it is the lens. However, the B+W is a slim filter, and if the Heliopan is, too, the tolerances may be a tad inadequate for manufacturing variations.

I'll report back when I settle on one.

Thanks very much to all of you for taking the time to reply!

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I use a B+W Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC on my 12-40 and it does NOT touch the front element. You can easily check this by using a piece of lens tissue as a gauge.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SolPix

SolPix Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    New Mexico
    Sammyboy--thanks, I'll do that. The paper will protect the lens if it does touch.

Does the B+W turn and remove easily?

11. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    very easily
    very nice filter

• Like Like x 1
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same here, it does not touch the lens front element.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    I bought a B+W Kaesemann XS-Pro Circ Polarizers a few years ago and could never use it as it doesn't rotate freely, very disapointing for such an expensive item, i should have returned it. Since then, I've gone back to Hoya HD.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SolPix

SolPix Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    New Mexico
    I've received the B+W Kaesemann XS-Pro filter and it does not touch the lens front element. I used a slip of paper between the two and it slid around when the lens was tilted. The lens cap and hood work with it, too. The rotation is fine, not too loose or tight. Peejay, maybe they've improved it since you bought yours. I could see how a problem with that would be cause for return.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply!

15. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I use the Tiffen HT circular polarizer. It allows high light transmission, is very well constructed and is relatively inexpensive. I have used Singh Ray polarizers in the past and they are excellent, but are pretty pricey. My only complaint is the lens cap has a rather tenuous grip and can get knocked off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SolPix

SolPix Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    New Mexico
    MarkoPolo, high transmission is new to me. Does it have to do with the filter factor? If so, I see where it could be an advantage in some situations. (The B+W has a filter factor of 2.5, and the Tiffen HT spec's state 2.3-2.8.) Do you notice a difference with the Tiffen's high transmission feature? Where I live, the light is very bright and I've had to use ND filters to be able to open up a fast lens. (The higher maximum shutter speed on the EM-1 offers an advantage there.)

17. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I'm not sure about the filter factor, but allows more light. Singh Ray calls theirs lighter, brighter. So just the opposite of the neutral density factor. Lets me use a lower iso for landscapes and less noise.

• Like Like x 1
  18. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    I don't know how filter factor scales to ev. But using camera meter the B+W nano reduces exp by 1.7 stops

• Like Like x 1
  19. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Hoya Pro1 Digital - very low profile and doesn't touch the lens element...

• Like Like x 1
  20. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Another vote for the hoya pro-1. It's grrat

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1