which cheaper m4/3 camera...?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pcake, Mar 30, 2013.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i've decided to replace my carry-around camera, which is a medium sized canon digicam, with a lower priced m4/3, probably an olympus. i don't expect miracles, but the things important to me are good lower-light pics and at least pretty good stabilization, as i have shaky hands.

in a perfect world, i'd love a fair amount of external controls, an articulated touch screen, an EVF and great image quality. in the real world, i'm looking for a fairly small camera at a low price, so i'm willing to deal with menus and pass on the touch screen if the options are better stabilization and low light pics.

the cameras i'm considering are an E-P2, an E-PM1, a GF3 and an E-PL3. for that matter, i'd take recommendations. while i've loved my GF1 and G3, i sold them both (and am regretting it), the GF3 doesn't seem all that comparable to either.

2. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I'd say EPL2 but you can't find them. Cameta has a great deal on refurb EPL3s though.

3. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Image stabilisation means you probably want an Olympus.

The E-PM? line is simply too menu driven for my tastes. I need buttons for things i'm afraid.

The E-PL3 has the articulated screen you want but I loath it because the 16:9 ratio means that Photos in more normal aspect ratios only give you a tiny little VF screen to use for composition and reviewing. (same as E-PM1)

Personally I would go for the E-P2 - But that's me!

4. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    Droogie, why would you say EPL2? i've found it brand new for only a few bucks more than i planned to spend.

BLT - what are the pluses of the E-P2? i'm willing and eager to be convinced :)

cameta is definitely on my list of places to buy. we bought a 20D and a 30D there, and they sold and let me return my E-PL1, and all our experiences with them were excellent.

btw, i've had better experiences with panasonic's stabilized lenses than with my briefly owned E-PL1. could have been partly ergonomics, though.

5. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    I like the E-P2 for it's size, weight and controls. As I said before, I like buttons! Also the e-p2 has a nice sized screen with a good screen ratio and it is wonderfully un-reflective, making it very usable outdoors in bright light. (think e-pl2 is the same but a tad smaller)

And I am generally an Olympus fan because I like to use SOOC JPEGs.

The E-PL2 is also my favourite of the E-PL? Range, but for some reason they seem to cost more than E-P2. The only benefit being the pop up flash. I prefere E-P2 for it's quality build and extra physical controls. (I don't use flash)

E-P3 is obviously even better, but costs more, and ultimately the image quality is the same.

Focus speed may be a factor in your decisions. The P2 & PL2 are not as speedy as PM1 PL3 P3.

Regarding image stabilisation - with in body image stabilisation the olympus bodies can use it with any lens you attach. But with a Panasonic body you need a stabilised lens. As far as I know results are similar between the two.
    However the Olympus bodies do not use their proper IBIS during video, rather a software substitute. (OMD is the only Olympus body to use it's full IBIS abilities for video)

6. jglover

jglover Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 28, 2010
    Naperville, IL
    Any of the PENs would be a good choice if you want in body image stabilization. I'd also go for the E-P2 out of these choices but the E-PM is also appealing if you can live with the menu driven options and settings. The PM has a much faster AF system, same as in the E-P3. The PM is also smaller and is jacket pocketable with a 14mm lens, and sort of pocketable with the 14-42mm II. You can get either one from Cameta for right around $200 right now. The P2 is body only, while the PM includes the 14-42mm. You can also usually pick up a 14-42mm cheap second hand.

7. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you don't need the flash and all the buttons the E-PM1 is great. I also have the PL2 and P3. Both nice and they hAve the extra buttons. The 3rd gens have a faster processor.