Which cheap OM adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by paperoga, Apr 12, 2012.

1. paperoga

paperoga New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    Hi,
    I have a 50mm 1.8 OM and I need an adaptor to use it on my EPL1.
    I've read about Fotodiox but price is not so low considering the shipping to Italy.
    Is there any cheaper good alternative?
    On ebay I saw a lot of models.

Any advice?

p.s.
    is it true that is better to avoid legacy lens <50mm on m43?

p.p.s.
    This forum is really great! :2thumbs:

2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I love using my OM 50 on my G3. but not so sure i could cope as well without the aid of a viewfinder. As for cheap adaptors. Yes by a cheap one, It will do while you decide if you enjoy the manual focus.
    I will be upgrading my adaptor quite soon as i have more legacy glass on its way.:smile:

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry, I'm in North America so Fotodiox would have been my recommendation. I wouldn't know the sources closer to Italy. For what it's worth, I use Fotodiox for my OM adapter but mine is to Four-Thirds not Micro Four-Thirds.

No, there's nothing to really "avoid" about them, but they're usually not desirable because there's just such good native options you can buy instead. Now we have native lenses of wide focal lengths which would have been considered extreme back in the day, but they are cheap and plentiful for Micro Four-Thirds format. The fabulous lenses of yesteryear will still be fabulous lenses today, but for the same price you could probably get something that's even wider, sharper, and faster in native mount. An example of a common wide angle legacy lens might be a 24mm f/2.8... but in native mount you can get a 14mm f/2.5, 17mm f/2.8, or 20mm f/1.7 all for a similarly affordable price. If you want to spend more you could get a 25mm f/1.4, 12mm f/2, 25mm f/0.95, or 17.5mm f/0.95. The native options in the old "wide angle" range is just too good now, that adapting legacy lenses in that range isn't really worth it.

It should be noted that part of the reason for this is that the short flange distance of non-reflex cameras reduces the need for retrofocus, making wide angle lenses smaller and easier to make.

On the other hand, there are no fast telephotos yet in the Micro Four-Thirds lineup, and there is only one macro lens. There are some great places to fill the gaps with legacy glass...

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I've noticed some variance in build tolerance/fitting from the cheap ebay adapters. But given that they can be like 1/10 or 1/20 of the price of the high end adapters, why not just keep on trying a few of the made in China ones until you're happy..you'd still come out way ahead.

5. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Fotodiox doesn't make adapters. They import them from China and sell them them on Amazon, their own website, and ebay.

If you are in Italy, it makes no sense to use a middleman in the USA. Just go direct to the Chinese sellers via ebay. I looked at your ebay.it site and see that you can get an OM adapter from CHina for around 13-16 euros with free shipping. Pick someone with a good rating.

6. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Oh fwiw my best om adapter is from jinfinance on ebay and its a tilt adapter, but works fine when set for shooting straight as well.

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Be careful about cheap adapters. My first cheapy, bought on ebay, did not focus to infinity though it said it would. The Fotodiox adapter, which I now use, is terrific. No cheap, but not really expensive either.

9. paperoga

paperoga New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks anyone! :smile:
    I think I will try the one from applemint link, since it allows focus to infinity, even if some meters before... but it seems that also original Oly adapter is almost the same.
    [edit: the seller does not ship to Italy... I have to find something else...]

About Ned's talk (very useful!), the native 17mm or 20mm are all over 200€, (and maybe their focal lenght is a little to short for my needs); a legacy 28mm f2.8 can be easily found around 30-40€.
    I am in doubt about the following: to wait a little then buy a new Sigma 30, which is the focal lenght I could need more, or buy a legacy lens?

I also have the double zoom kit (14-42 + 40-150) and the OM 50 f1.8, the VF-2, I don't need sport shots and I like to manual focus, so this point is not an issue :wink:

10. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I got a Contax C/Y to Nex adapter from this seller and the fit is good on both ends and focus is fine: Olympus OM lens to Micro 4/3 M4/3 Adapter G2 G10 E-PL1 | eBay

I don't know what their micro four thirds adapters are like or wether or not I was lucky and just got a good copy of my Nex adapter (perhaps quality control on these cheap adapters is not that strict, I don't know) but I was pleased with the one adapter I bought from them so far...

• Like Like x 1
  11. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I am happy with a Pentax adapter from Big-IS and while I bought it on the US Ebay site, they were also listed on ebay,it for an inexpensive OM adapter. It did take 3 weeks to ship around Chinese New Years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. paperoga

paperoga New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    I've ordered the big_is adapter on ebay.
    I will let you know... shipping is very very slow... :flypig: