Which camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goto, Oct 20, 2015.

1. goto

goto New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2015
    I am new to this board so forgive me if this question has been asked and answered. I have been shooting a Leica M8.2 for years and contrary to what many people say I really like the look of the files when shooting at low ISO. That being said I want to get something with auto focus and focus peaking. I am not interested in video. I am living in Thailand and I can get an em1 and 12/40 2.8 for around $1600 US. The em5II with the same lens will cost me a little over $1800. What do you think? Thanks.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Tough question. I prefer the E-M5II size and feel as well as the ability to shoot hi-res composite images using sensor shift. I also prefer its looks and shutter sound. But I think the E-M1's more substantial grip is a nicer match to bigger lenses like the 12-40.

I would buy the E-M5II and shoot it with small primes, but if I were going to use mainly with the 12-40/2.8, I'd get the E-M1.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. goto

goto New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2015
    OK.Thanks.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think the main advantage of the E-M1 is better continuous AF (with PDAF) and much better AF for adapted "Four Thirds" lenses (the best long tele options right now). I think the AF difference is mainly relevant for sports, wildlife and other fast moving subjects.
    E-M5 II has hi-res mode (tripod only), electronic shutter (1/16000 silent) and a slightly better IBIS.

Shape and size, not much different, are a personal preference: http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.412,594.412,ha,t

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Both great choices. I have the Em5II, because I like the option of very small size when using a prime. For bigger lenses, I have an add-on grip. Good luck and enjoy!

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    keep in mind firmware 4.0 is coming out soon for the em1 that has the focus peaking colors, along with focus stacking.

7. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Stupid Question: You do come from Leica.... For me it would be more logic to switch to panasonic... taking into account that many panasonic cameras got labeled from Leica - and the there are many very good Leica branded lenses in the Panasonic range...

I would look for the GM-version as really compact ones and some primes...

8. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    How is that logical at all? There is zero connection between Leica rangefinder cameras like his M8 and Panasonic cameras.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    The logic comes from branding and brand loyalty..... Originally the Lumix brand was born as a cooperation between Panasonic and Leica. And the Leica lenses are really great - and they are designed in close cooperation with Leica: they do have a Leica style rendering.... And the electronics of the newer Leicas is Panasonic as well...

10. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Brand loyalty is implicitly illogical.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think so. Familiarity and confidence from good experiences are very logical reason to make repeat purchases from a brand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Very true - however Leica and Panasonic are two different companies, with totally different brands, at way different price points.

If you can, try both cameras personally. The E-M1 is closer in size to your M8 however the E-M5 may feel better to you.

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And also with Silent Shutter!

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you value the smaller size, the EM5 Mk II would be my selection in m43.

If you like the rangefinder form factor - you also have other brands to consider Like Fuji and the X100T.

15. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    I own a EM5 MKii and love it, but I think given the price differential I would go for the EM1. Build quality is suppose to better, better ergonomics with larger lenses like the 12-40 pro, better auto focus tracking and what seems to be a pretty strong commitment from Olympus to keep updating it. You could use the extra money for necessary accessories.

16. Kirk

Kirk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    I actually just sold my E-M5ii and re-purchased an E-M1. I've gotten good results with both, but enjoy using the E-M1 more.

I find the E-M1 much snappier in performance. It powers on pretty much instantaneously, whereas the E-M5ii take several seconds to come on and fire up the EVF (I used the E-M5ii with the LCD folded in most of the time).

Also, I find the eye sensor switch on the E-M1 superior. Deploying the tilting LCD disables the eye sensor, whereas on the E-M5ii you have to swing the articled LCD all the way out so that it stops switching back and forth from the EVF to LCD if you are using the touch screen. I prefer a tilting LCD over left-hinged articulated, even though the latter is more functional.

In the E-M5ii's favor, its mechanical shutter is really nice. Thankfully silent shutter is getting added to the E-M1 in FW4.0.

The E-M5ii is a little too small for me without the HLD-8G grip, and then it feels a bit crowded. The E-M1 is a more comfortable size. All that said, it is hard to go wrong either way.

17. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    There is much more between Panasonic and Leica. They do have a very, very close cooperation. Leica is given know-how and really great glass to the µ43 family. And they get back newest technology from Panasonic used in their brands.

Owning 2 Zuiko´s (20mm f2.0 & 75mm f1.8) And a couple of Leica Branded Panasonic Lenses (15mm f1.7, 25mm f1.4, 42.5mm f2.8) I can clearly say: there is Leica in.... And they match well with the Zuiko´s, too - but due to my taste: the Leica one´s do have their personality....

18. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    Goto, another consideration that just came across my mind is how you want others to view you. In my experience the EM5MkII and it's retro design have made it great as both a conversation piece and an inconspicuous piece of gear. People seem much more drawn to it and less intimidated then with my Nikon DSRL. I am not sure if you plan on doing lots of street photography or you value having a camera that looks like an analogue device, as oppose to an expensive piece of kit. The EM1's appearance makes it much more modern SLR like which in some circumstances may be disadvantageous.

19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Do you mean the 12/2?

• Like Like x 1
  20. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes