1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Phil66, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hello all,
    I have nearly decided on a Panasonic G3 camera but it's a lot of money for me to pay because I want the pancake lens too. I am moving up from a Canon Ixus 800is. I use it mainly for when I visit National Trust properties and holidays. I'll tell you what I find wrong with the Ixus, apart from the obvious picture quality. It isn't very good in low light, a lot of National Trust properties don't allow flash. I find the zoom (4x) to be fine for my needs, even that's a little too much for the Ixus without a tripod. I have looked at a couple of entry level DSLR's like the Canon EOS 500D but what I really like about the Panasonic is its size. I only have small hands and I tried it in a shop and it felt great to me, the Olympus PEN cameras all felt far too small with a zoom lens on.
    If anyone can suggest anything else for a similar price, (the G3 is currently £429 and Panasonic are giving £40 cashback on new purchases so £389) please do. This is an important purchase for me and I don't want to get it wrong. It would be great if someone could say the G3 is something that you can't really go wrong by buying it.
    Thanks,
    Phil :confused:

2. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    If your looking into getting a m43. G3 is really a good camera imo, I've never had one, I've handled it before, good grip well, ie: if you dont have big hands. From what Ive read, it is slightly smaller than the previous G2 therefore more portable. And its one of the top notch m43 system camera, you cant go wrong with it. =) Go for it!

3. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks :2thumbs:

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have a couple of m4/3 bodies but bought a G3 a week ago and I'm using it to test it's potentials. Well its a real great little camera. Buy it, you will be happy with it and you can't get wrong:smile:

5. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    How much of an improvement over my Ixus 800 will it be? Is is going to be a night and day difference or more subtle?

Phil

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Night and day

7. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks, sorry to be a numpty but I've only ever had a "real" camera once and it was a Minolta SLR, I was so disappointed at paying to have prints developed and come back looking terrible. Mainly because I didn't know what I was doing. At least with this G3 I can play around and see the result quickly.
    Phil