1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which camera would you prefer to use for MF glass - E-P2 or E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    With the prices dropping on the E-P2 and E-PL1, I was thinking of picking up one of these bodies for MF use. I know the E-P2 will most likely handle better, but part of my attraction to the E-PL1 is the base 100 ISO and the weak AA filter. I also plan to use my VF-2 on either body. If you had to pick one, which would you pick to use for MF glass? Thanks!

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Fi the choice is between those two bodies I think I'd choose the E-PL1 for no other reason than the magnify button. As I recall the E-P1/P2 don't have it (well I know the E-P1 doesn't have it) and without it the process of using MF assist is a more cumbersome process. I did a lot of MF with my E-PL1 and it worked pretty well.

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Most definately the E-PL1 for the super weak AA filter and 100 ISO. You'll get used to the button driven menu system of the E-PL1 after awhile. I'd almost bet the E-PL1 will produce images that are as sharp and detailed as the new E-M5 in bright outdoor light at ISO 100

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Agreed with the two posts above - E-PL1. I really wanted an E-P2 due to the styling, build, and control layout, but frankly it was a pain to use with manual focus lenses because it required multiple presses of the info button just to get to the magnify screen.

5. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I use exclusively MF Lenses on my E-PL1 and i am astounded sometimes by the quality of the JPEG image. And for video work it is great too, has a real nice feel to it, almost a vintage kind of look.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well I'm on the other side of the fence, I find the control layout of the E-P2 better for this application. I do use it with the vf-2 which makes need for magnification much less, at least for myself. I had the E-PL1 originally, and this was one of my main reasons for switching. Ease of use w/vf-2 made the need for magnification almost moot, but this is my humble opinion and your view may differ.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-PL1.

The layout on the E-P2 is increasing less important with manual focus lenses. Magnification is important even with the VF-2 for critical focus; having a dedicated button is a big advantage.

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Seems like people are leaning towards the E-PL1. Though I'm starting to lean more towards getting more lenses, and keep my one body!

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I notice by your sig you have an E-PM1...I'd keep that and just get new lenses. Its a better camera in just about every way than the E-PL1. Faster, better AWB, better metering...you get my drift. The weaker AA filter on the E-PL1 is nice but its not THAT big a difference. The dial (and switching the video button to me manual focus assist) is a better layout IMHO for manual lenses than the button layout on the E-PL1. My biggest beef about the E-PM1 and legacy glass is that the small body is not well balanced with a big lens but adding an E-P3 grip to it has made a huge difference.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I agree with that suggestion! Stick with the E-PM1.

I was going to suggest the E-PL1 over the E-P2 for both the sharper images as well as the Magnify button. Although the E-PL1 LCD sucks, both these cameras are compatible with the VF-2.

However, the E-PM1 outshines them both in all these areas. Sharp images, double the max shutter speed (to counter the base 200 ISO), twice the screen resolution of either, VF-2 support, convenient Magnify button... Can't go wrong there. Plus, you will get superior Auto White Balance as well, if you turn off "Keep Warm Colors". I find this particularly useful for legacy glass, which can develop color casts over time.

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My only problem with MF focusing on the E-PM1, is that I have a harder time determining focus with both the LVF & EVF. It seemed much easier catching focus on my E-PL2 (which I sold). Oh well, I have an OM-D on order, we'll see how MF works on that!

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I would wait for the OM-D rather than going backwards! :biggrin:

I'm curious though what you mean about the MF focusing on the E-PM1, the EVF, and the E-PL2.

Both the E-PM1 and E-PL2 use the same EVFs (VF-2 or VF-3), so I'm assuming you must be talking about the difference in LCD screen? Both are the same resolution (460k dots) and both cover the same 3" diagonal area, but the view space is certainly different since the E-PL2 screen has a squarer aspect ratio.

However, if this is indeed what you mean then both the E-P2 and E-PL1 will be a significant downgrade from either, as they both have half the screen resolution (230k dots) plus the E-PL1 also has a 10% smaller in screen (2.7" versus 3"). If you like to focus on the rear screen then the E-P3 and OM-D both feature a 3" 640k dot OLED touchscreen, which is more vibrant than an LCD.

Personally, I much prefer the VF-2 for manual focus over any of the above... but you said that doesn't work so well for you.

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have the same issue. I think its because the smaller camera is harder to keep stable. I just bought a G2 for manual focus fun. Best m43 camera I've ever used for legacy glass. I'm sure the OMD will be much better.

14. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If your intent is to buy this body for use with MF lenses, I would suggest neither. On all my M43 bodies, MF lenses are an exercise in frustration. Get a NEX body. It is so much easier to use for MF lenses. NEX 3's can be had cheap. Very cheap. I picked up a NEX 3 kit last week for $249 at Target. The lens alone can be sold for $200 used on ebay. That leaves you with a $50 NEX body for MF. This NEX 3 has been on clearance at Target for close to a year, but they still pop up at stores. I got one at the same store for $300 a year ago. They were out for a year and then a few weeks back, they got 2 more in and started them at $599 and have been walking them down ever since. Some stores have it marked down to $150. If you sell the lens for $200, they are paying you to take the body.

15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can't explain it really, but I found it easier to use the EVF to catch focus on the E-PL2, than on the E-PM1. If you use the VF-2 on both bodies they seem to render slightly differently, enough where you could tell one was in focus easier using MF glass over the other.

16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

That's quite odd...I wonder why that is. I know you have EVF adjustments on the E-PM1 software that I don't recall seeing on the E-PL2...perhaps it's related.

17. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I too was interested in the E-PM1 at one point. Great camera to use with various pancake lenses but it was difficult to hold when attached to a Panasonic 100-300 much less vintage manual focus lenses that weigh a bit more and larger in size.

I've decided that the E-PL1 will stay around for manual lenses and the future (OMD?) body will be dedicated to natively focusing lenses.

18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for all the input you guys! I've decided to just get some more MF glass, specifically a Nikon 85mm f/2 AIS! :smile: