Which camera for video?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by elandel, Mar 29, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi,

I need a camera for making videos that mainly will be uploaded to Youtube, but also can be useful for something a bit more professional.

I don't want to spend a lot of money and have no knowledge of videography so just asking to more experts.

I don't want to buy the Pana GH2 if not necessary and I already own an E-pl3an EP2 and Nex 5.

Have for Oly the 14-42IIr kit lens and the 14-150 and 9-18 and 17mm, with a bunch of other AF and manual lens.

Can anybody give me some help and advise?

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I thought the NEX was pretty solid for video? Does it not meet your needs?

Other than the GH2, I think the default recommendation here will be the GH1, which you can pick used in the US for $350 or less. Camera can be hacked to allow greater video functionality. Link to GH1 hack info.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    All the cameras you have are capable of pretty good video as they stand, though with some limitations.

You need to define what kind of videos you are planning to make, as this will influence your choice.

For example if you are planning to do long interviews or film theatrical performances, then non of your existing cameras will shoot for more than 30 minutes continuously - and if the E-p2 is anything like the E-P1 I have, the max shooting time for a single shot is down to about 7 minutes.

The GH2 is probably the best value for money at the moment, as it will allow you to shoot longer, and has more frame rates and better manual controls -

Shooting video well is trickier than shooting stills, you have to think about how your shots will edit together, you need to think about sound and how you will record that, the mics built into the camera are not really very good.

Then you need to make sure your computer and your storage can handle the files.

Define more clearly what kind of video you plan to make and then maybe I can give you some further pointers

K

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    The main use will be recording Aromatherapy lessons that I hold so I think (I'm not the one who is making the video but a videomaker for trailers and advertising books and lessons on youtube. She is a friend of mine) basically I'be behind a desk with some little bottles and a video projector for slides or something like that.
    I'm and aromatherapy teacher and expert so I want to put lessons on youtube. I may also do some demonstration of meditation and Spiritual Healing or ways to urise our consciousness.
    That will be basically the use. Also this friend of mine can occasionally use the camera for advertising books or writers on youtube.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    If it's just necessary I'll try to find a used GH2 for it's video capabilities but I already have too many bodies.

6. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    My first step would be to try shooting some test pieces with the cameras you have - the two olympuses would make a good place to start, Try and learn about the process of video making first and then decide where your budget is best spent. The actually shooting is only one part of the process - lighting, audio, editing, staging, directing are all as important if not more so than the camera

this was shot on a E-P1 and a single 50mm macro lens- there are some issues with the result technically - but in terms of image quality it's not bad.

Shooting probably took 30 minutes, editing and sound, probably a couple of hours

https://vimeo.com/24565959

cheers

K

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for sharing

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Your E-PL3 can record up to 29 minutes of good quality high definition video.

If you need to shoot longer than 29 minutes I would consider a camcorder as well as the GH2

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks.
    Here in Italy I think 29 min isw the max but suppose you can merge more pieces of 29 min. video if needed.

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You don't need to buy a camera; you have more than enough to create professional videos. Both the Sony and the E-PL3 record in AVCHD for sure. If anything, use a plug-in mic to pick up better sound. I think your Olympus E-PL3 is the best choice, because it has a standard mic plugin, but your NEX-5 can work if you buy the proprietary mic. Just use the kit lens, and make sure you have enough light.

Get yourself a tripod with a video head, or some other stabilizer. No one likes a Youtube video that looks like the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan.

No one will sit and watch a 20+ minute video on Youtube, so you won't have any problems. You won't see any realistic difference between a GH2 and any of your cameras for a Youtube video. When people say they use a GH2 for video, they mean that they're cinema students making full productions. Considering that most people don't even click the box to stream the video at 720, I wouldn't worry. Heck, I'd only record in 720/30p, since you don't want to deal with uploading videos at 1080.

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the 29 minute thing is an EU regulation.... a throwback to the days when they were trying to protect the european video recorder industry - remember video recorders :)

The e-p1 is limited to about 7 minutes because the video codec used has a 2G file size limit.

The reality is that the only time you really shoot more than a couple of minutes of a single shot continuously is when you are recording an interview, a lecture or a theatrical performance, and even then you probably want to use several cameras so you can cut to different angles to maintain interest.

The art of editing is what makes a video work... the length of shot can be used to maintain interest or heighten tension.

watch an action packed hollywood blockbuster and try and count the number of shots in a chase sequence - some of the shots will be a couple of seconds long.

Fot the kind of thing the OP is talking about I would probably shoot the whole piece with 2 cameras, one wider shot showing the whole person behind the table, including the table, the other showing a closer head and shoulders.

I Would then do closeups of hands and any objects, and from that edit those together

cheers

K

12. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Sounds like you got all you need. It might be that you have too much stuff and that could be making you second guess your decisions.

Think of it this way - all the cameras you got have capabilities that were unheard of 10 years ago and 10 years ago good films were being made. My suggestion to you is that you go shoot something and work on your creativity which is something that pays you back the more you put into it regardless of gear owned.

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The equipment you have is fine for what you've described. Your biggest challenge is skillful shooting and editing.

The equipment you didn't list is more of a concern:

Audio - good sound is very important, and the camera's mic simply will not do. At the very least, you need a decent lapel mic for yourself and a good portable recorder, a Zoom H1 or H2 should work well enough.

Support - you won't need a $1000- Manfrotto, but don't cheap out here either. A good smooth video head will allow you to pan without inducing motion sickness. Don't even think of doing this handheld.

14. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Given the equipment you already have, my opinion is that the quality of your videos will be improved more if you spend money on LIGHTING rather than another camera body.

Also, like kinlau said, get a lavaliere mike. You can get a pretty decent one for about $40. I actually use my iPhone as my portable recorder ... use the free BlueFirRE app.

What are you going to edit your video on (software)?

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have absolutely no idea because I don't use PP software so think if I learn editing software which I think is harder to learn. My friend will do the shooting and the editing: I'm the teacher so I will only speak and demonstrate how to use essential oils for spiritual awereness and growth: showing how they were used in The Holy Bible and all Sacred Books in our history.

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Before you spend any money then, your friend is the one that needs to be asking the questions.

• Like Like x 2
  17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    She a technical information about gear because she has no knowledge about it.

18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sounds like you need to either

1) find a friend who understands video

2) learn about video

in reality there is little overlap between taking a photo and making a video beyond basic composition and an understanding of exposure.

the act of taking a photograph and making a video are two very different things... it can be very rewarding... but it is a whole new set of skills..... all those people credited at the end of a movie all contributed to the result

you can do a lot on your own... but it isn't easy

K

19. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    This is a good video forum Camcorders - AVS Forum
    The people there are a mixture of video newbies and pros

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When shooting video you need a good camera{you listed several that would work but the time limit may be an issue}. The camera should always be mounted, it can be a tripod or crane or dolly or steadycam but some sort of rig. The closest the pros come to hand holding is a news crew using a shoulder braced camera. Since you are doing a tutorial type video the camera should be tripod mounted for best results. I would then intersperse closeups of the action which could be shot either from a steadycam or tripod. {note I use the term steadycam as a general term and not referring to the specific brand}

Things that will make or destroy your video are sound and lighting. To get good sound for what you are doing I would get a wireless lavalier mic and the OLY mic adaptor or use an external audio recorder and sync the sound in post. Lighting is a bit trickier and without seeing where and how you want it shot it is hard to make a good suggestion. However look at getting a basic continuous light kit with heads and stands. You might also want softboxes or at least one for the key light. I prefer to simply clip diffusion gels onto the barndoors myself but a box is easier in the long run.

Editing video is a world unto itself and add that the audio may also need editing makes it that much more work. Not sure if you are PC or Mac but there are some inexpensive softwares for each that should work for what you want to do and are easy to learn. Well actually the Mac version is FREE in that iMovie is included with every Mac and is a great beginner app.