Which camera for video and timelapse/stopmotion?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Jakob F., Aug 6, 2013.

1. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I've been shooting stills with my e-p2 for the last couple of years, and not really delved into the video part of the camera.
    Now I got a new job, partly because of my photo hobby, where some of the things I'm going to work with is stop-motion, time-lapse and regular video.
    The question is this:
    If I get a bag of money to buy a new camera for the above mentioned things, should I buy Panasonic, Olympus or maybe "just" a Go-Pro? A lot of people seems to be fond of the GH-2 for regular video, but I guess for stop-motion/timelapse it doesn't really matter, does it? As long as you can remote control the shutter, right?

As for lenses, I've got the Samyang 7.5 fishy, the Oly 12+15+45 and the Pany 25 -and an assortment of OM glass, from 28 to 85 and a variety of not so good zooms. Would that suffice, or should I get a zoom, like the Pany 12-35mm?

What else would I need for video? A mic? Some sort of rig or is handheld ok? Anything else?

Your thoughts, and why you thought them would be appreciated, thanks!

Best regards,
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    "video" covers a whole range of hopes and expectations. There is no one answer... it depends on what you hope to achieve and what the expectations of your audience are.

shooting the footage is only a part of the process....often before there is the planning ( though I confess never to have mastered this) and after there is the editing...which I am more comfortable with.

my list of priorities would be

1) good computer and editing program
    2) good understanding of editing and shooting for editing
    3) good tripod with a fluid head
    4) a separate way to record audio and a good mic... and an understanding of that

get those under your belt and the camera becomes less important

if you visit my Vimeo page

you will find movies done with 2 gopros given to 2 teenagers in a pool... with no idea of what they were shooting

another single gopro shoot done solo while driving from Belgium to Paris

A Gh2 movie shot the day after I got the camera with audio recorded with a Rode video mic into a Ediroll handheld recorder

and something shot with an E-P1 on a fluidhead

end of the day the camera is the least of your concerns if you want to do video

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've got a cheap remote trigger for my GH1 and GH2, but I much rather prefer the simplicity of using a camera with a built-in intervalometer. Many of my time lapse shots are from moving motorcycles, thus the preference for simplicity.

Of the M43 camera, I think that some of the latest Panasonics have built-in intervalometers. I do know that ever Pentax that I have used has them, as well as some Sony NEX.

Check out the Pentax Q. Interchangeable lenses and a special mode where it will shoot a time lapse and create a time lapse,movie automagically.
  4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The Gh3 is probably the best m43 camera for video, and has a built in intervalometer. It can also run for quite a few hours on just one battery.

As for accessories, be prepared to pay as much for the mics, tripods etc as you did for the camera.
  5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Panasonic cameras generally are much better for video than their Olympus counterparts due to Panasonic's background in professional video.

Another thing to consider is shutter wear and tear. Panasonic rates shutter unit in their cameras for 70000 cycles. If you're doing a lot of long timelapse videos, you will wear the shutter in your camera pretty fast. Thankfully, new Panasonic bodies (such as the G6) have not only built-in intervalometer, but also electronic shutter, which eliminates the wear and tear problem.

The camera can assemble timelapse sequences for you. You can even apply in-camera picture effects to your timelapse/stop-motion videos if you feel like it.

I think this review of the G6 is actually the best one currently available on the net. It explains its features really well: Panasonic Lumix G6 review | Cameralabs. It contains only one factual error: it says the G6 doesn't have wireless TTL flash when in fact it does.
  6. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    If the G6 has intervalometer then I sugegst that one, otherwise the GH3.
    The Pany 25 is a perfect video lens so your pretty much good to go. You just need a good mic.
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Stop-motion and timelapse where? Studio? Outdoors? How long?

An electronic shutter would be a nice thing to have for this (for non-moving subjects, anyway, due to rolling shutter effects), since the number of acutations will wear a mechanical shutter eventually. Whether you get along well enough with the primes (certainly fine for timelapse, where you won't want to be changing focal lengths anyway) is not a question I can answer. I would opt for a GH3 if funds suffice and size isn't a disadvantage for you.
  8. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Thanks for all the input.

Size doesn't really matter, as it will primarily be mounted for stopmotion stuff. Stopmotion has previously been done with iPhones and iPads, which might be fine, but since I'm gonna need something to shoot stills with as well, I thought I should figure out which m43 would do video best too. Looks like I need a Panasonic with a remote trigger!

Don't know if I said it in the first post, but I'm going to work with a bunch of kids with no experience at all -last year all was done with iPhones, so maybe buying a GH3 is too much -but on the other hand, it would be nice to have a proper camera as well as the phones ;v)

Thanks again for your input,