Which camera for cleaner video (less artifacts)

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
Video compression on my Olympus E-PL5 does not impress me. Comparing same outdoor daylight recordings from both my cellphone (Samsung Galaxy Note II) and the E-PL5, I just envy how the Galaxy Note II produces clean frames, each one close to a photo without distortions or artifacts even on grass while the camera moves. On the other hand with the E-PL5 any movement and specially fine structures like grass produce extreme artifacts, the whole picture becomes grainy, its just horrible.

Don't take me wrong, of course under not ideal (low light) situations, the results of the E-PL5 are superior. And of course the lens and therefore the overall image quality are much better too. But I can't help it: If I imagine having the image quality of the E-PL5 paired with the video compression quality of the Galaxy Note II, this would make me really happy.

So, now the question: Is there another MFT camera, Panasonic or Olympus, that has become better on that aspect? About 1 1/2 years have past since I bought my camera.

Thanks for any input
Thom

Artorius

Mu-43 Regular
The Panasonic GH3 is an amazing video camera. Likewise, the forthcoming Panasonic GH4 is purportedly even better than the GH3, plus it has 4K video. However, if you don't want to shell out the coin for either of those two, the Panasonic GX7 and GM1 all reportedly have quite good 1080p full HD video. And if you want to go cheaper still, then the Panasonic GH2 (which I personally own and can vouch for) has great video with no macro blocking that I can see under normal circumstances.

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Basically any of the recent Panasonic cameras will far surpass what an Olympus camera can achieve. The Panasonic GH2 (with/without firmware hack), GH3, G6 or GX7 will all show a big improvement over what you have experienced. The G6 and GX7 also have the advantage of focus peaking, which can be used whilst filming.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The oly 1080P stuff need to have very little camera and /or subject movement to get good video. Does your camera have the 720p MJPEG? It is actually very good at a 30 meg data rate.

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks. It seems I have to check those Panasonic then. I like a good mix of small form factor and image quality. I always record video at 1080p 30fps. I never tried a smaller 720p resolution.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks. It seems I have to check those Panasonic then. I like a good mix of small form factor and image quality. I always record video at 1080p 30fps. I never tried a smaller 720p resolution.

Just be aware of the fact that this MJPEG creates huge files because of the large data rate, plus has fewer minutes of continuous filming (can't remember right now what the limit is, less 10 I think).

Lobbamobba

Mu-43 Veteran

If you are looking at the GH3, have another look at the G6.
I used to own GH3 and its super great. But the G6 is the same camera with lesser build quality but make up for it with peaking.
In Sweden right now the G6 is priced less than a third of the GH3.

I would totaly get one if I hadn't preordered the GH4 :)

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
The current Panasonics have quite a few advantages in the video dept. The GH series don't have any time limits, with multiple codecs and formats, ETC mode that is great with telephoto work.

At the top of the list is that much more robust codec, with a choice of bit rates too.

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
The GH's and G6 are too big for my mobility setting but the GX7 would be great. I also need the tiltable display. I suppose this one has not such limited filming time? I mostly do short clips, but you never know.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
The GH's and G6 are too big for my mobility setting but the GX7 would be great. I also need the tiltable display. I suppose this one has not such limited filming time? I mostly do short clips, but you never know.

If you are worried about size,the G6 is pretty small. If you REALLY want small form factor, check out the GM1. Its even smaller than your EPL5. My guess is the GM1 probably has a time limit... I would think heat dissipation with video becomes an issue in a camera that small, but it will produce great video as well. For an example of Panasonic video, check this out. The GX7 will produce great video:
http://vimeo.com/87406935

The shots from the antarctic are reduced quality video they sent back via wifi-->satellite, but to me it still looks great

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
Yes, it looks very nice. But it has no tiltable display either. And I need my camera as much for photography as for video too.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I'm not sure that a tilt display is necessary, if video is going to be your prime outcome. I'm just waiting on some simple bits from eBay and when I get them, I'm going to do some further video with my E-M1 and if that works, it will confirm that a tilt display isn't totally necessary. I'd love to have the Pocket Cinema as a complementary video camera, which I think would be a lot better than the likes of a Go Pro etc, and being able to use just about any lens made would be outstanding..

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
Well, now I have it here, the Lumix GX7 and already did some testing.

I recorded some video clips with both cameras, both with best video setting, same lens (20mm 1:1.7 Lumix H-H020) same subject (some bushes) and made a camera pan with about the same velocity. single frames with the GX7 resulted surpisingly clean, without distortions/fragmentations. But with the E-PL7 you can barely see details. Besides the motion blur, you can clearly see the distortion/noise (like little dots all over) and on the playing video, those distortions look like a fine pattern thats laid over the video. Following a part from the 1:1 still from each cameras clip:

videotest.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On the photography side, the difference is less pregnant. Colors in automatic settings are more natural with the GX7. Also the auto focus works more efficient on the GX7: In dark environment (ISO 1600, 20mm 1:3.2, 1/15 sec.) on a plane subject without specific objects present (in that case wood flooring) the GX7 is able to get focus without problems, but the E-PL5 is not able to achieve focus. On my other test image (some objects on the table) the E-PL5 is clearly on the winner side (all software sharpening functions deactivated). Honestly it feels painful to see how much the 1 year newer GX7 stays behind in sharpness. Following a cut 1:1 from both cameras shots:

fototest.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Conclusion
With my necessity of a solution for good video and good photography, in same parts, the GX7 looks like a winner. Maybe I will move over and will sell the E-PL5? A bit hurting the loss of detail sharpness in photography and I have to further test some other aspects of camera handling in general first.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
If I understood what the post was demonstrating, I might agree. That said, I do agree that Panasonic has better video capability in general.

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
Oh! darn! I am so sorry, I switch languages so often, I wasn't aware at that moment it is English here! (Maybe the excitement about the new gear). I will just edit my post and make it english.

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
OzRay, by the way: Honestly, I could not be without a tiltable display. Maybe in a studio setting I would not need it, but I do video mostly for my family shooting or documentation where you do not plan the situation. That makes it necessary to react spontaneous, shooting video mostly without tripod and in any possible angle by hand.

Latest threads

Top Bottom