Which camera do proper HDR

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Dangermouse1968, May 10, 2013.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011

I've been distracted from "real photography" recently as I got an iPhone5 and have been enjoying messing about with the camera on it. I've really enjoyed the built in HDR which takes multiple photos (2, I think) and produces really punchy images with beautiful cross the scene exposures.

So now I want to use my lovely u4/3 lense to do HDR but I'm not interested in post processing - so which cameras do real HDR in built please. Cheapest please - I only have a GF1 so pretty much anything would be an upgrade ;-)

2. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
  3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    The G5 and GH3 on the Panasonic side. The GF5 has a HDR mode but it doesn't actually do real HDR. The G6 will probably do HDR as well.

I'm not sure, but I think the E-P5 might have in camera HDR.
  4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

My 2 cents

All models that have the HDR mode do it very conservatively. In fact, sometimes I need to look very close.

If you really want to see what HDR can do, you need to shoot 3-5 bracketed shots and process them with some HDR software such as Photomatix.
  5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Are you talking about exaggerated HDR images? That's not "real" HDR at all. The technique has been co-opted to do that artificial looking work and it's a pop-photography sensation; but HDR as intended was to compress the dynamic range of the human visual system into a print.

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a camera that produces HDR properly for all circumstances. Most are focused on photo-realism.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Sony's RX100 is useless for manual HDR (bracketing is only 0.7), but has pretty extensive JPG built-in HDR functionality.
  7. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    The Pro HDR app on my iphone seems to take two images and then blends them together. I have some oprions post-processing in terms of brightness, saturation and contrast etc, which allow me to get what I think are great shots without looking too artificial.

I've just requested a 12x10 print of one but I'm alomst sure I'm going to be hugely dissapointed so would like to find a body that I can use to do the same but just at 10+ MP and using my lovely PL14, PL20 and OL45 lenses.
  8. unstable_rider

unstable_rider Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Land of Lakes
    Learn how to bracket.

This is five images into one. Sometimes even up to 8 images make a great HDR. Shot with a Pen 2 and the 40-150 Olympus tele.

Even a 119$ lens like my Oly has will get it done. Tripod or the roof of your car and a cable release a must. It's fun and quite addicting.

RAW files are said to retain a greater range of "data", so typically you get a broader mix of highs, lows and so on in raw.

I use PhotoMatix.

9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    As mentioned before for "proper" HDR shooting in RAW and post process do the best.
    The picture below was shot handheld with the G5 and post processed in NIK HDR effex.
    It consists on 5 RAW images with 2/3 stop separation and processing time took me about 15 minutes.
    I do not believe that an automatic process can give a good results in all scenarios.
    My suggestion is that download a demo version of NIK/Photomatix or other HDR SW and shot a few shots with your camera in bracketing mode.
    After this I do not think that you will like the results you get out of the automatic HDR processing.

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/12535807365/in/photostream/player/" width="1024" height="709" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The picture below is also consists on 5 images and shows how good the ghost removal works. It is impossible do get this out of an automated process which will choose an random picture for ghost removal reference.

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/12100387483/player/" width="1024" height="769" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    My new E-M1 has two different in-camera HDR modes and does a good job hand-held.

E-M1 w BCL Sm.jpg