Which camera body would you sell???

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by nekrosoft13, May 5, 2014.

1. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    Which camera body would you sell??? Just looking for advice, please read in entirely…

Basically would like to settle down on max two different camera systems…

At the beginning of this year I started replacing some gear, sold the 7D and bought a7R, sold the E-M5 and bought E-M1. Gear is shared between me and my girlfriend.

Each camera body has its pluses and cons (look below).

I prefer the E-M1 when just walking around and 5DIII if I want to shoot wildlife. A7R supposed to be my girlfriend’s main camera, but because of some short comings of that kit, this might not be the best bet for her. She would never use the 5D and when she had the 7D she rarely used that, because of the size.

The 5DIII will stay for now.

I was thinking about selling the a7R and getting E-M10 as replacement, this way we would only have two types of mounts. If I sell the a7R the Sony FE 28-70 and Metabones would go with it. My concern is the M4/3 system, having a smaller sensor would be somewhat limited for future upgrades, but also hoping that E-M10 would be easier for my Girlfriend to use.

But I was also thinking of selling the E-M1 and getting the A6000 as replacement… If I would sell the E-M1 and keep the a7R, I could keep the a7R and keep playing with vintage lenses, and my girlfriend could use the A6000. If I could keep the a7R, and sell the E-M1 I could replace the FE 28-70 with the Zeiss 24-70 and at later point get the Zeiss 55. Sony full frame lens line up is pretty limited, and seeing Sony crop E lens lineup, I don’t have huge expectations…

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    + speed
    + battery life
    + lens selection
    + my lens collection
    + build quality
    - size
    - image quality, while fine, out of all modern camera canon is lacking in sensor tech
    ok MP

Olympus OM-D E-M1
    + fun
    + speed
    + lens selection
    + size
    + image quality
    + build quality
    - MP
    - battery life
    - my lens collection

Sony a7R
    + size
    + image quality
    + easy to adapt vintage lenses
    + can adapt canon lenses with AF
    + MP
    - adapted canon lenses are SLOW
    - battery life
    - speed
    - build quality
    - to move focus point need to press another button before move is allowed
    - my lens collection, the FE 28-70 not the best lens…

Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
    Sony FE 3.5-5.6/28-70 OSS
    Metabones EF to FE Mark III Adapter
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM
    Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro
    Asanuma Auto-Wide 28mm f/2.8 K Mount
    Fuji Fujica X-Fujinam.T 135mm f/2.8 Fuji X-Boynet Mount
    Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 MEGA O.I.S on order…
    Tamron 150-600 VC on order…

Canon EX580 II

Former Gear
    Canon PowerShot G3
    Canon PowerShot SD400
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
    Canon PowerShot SD630
    Canon PowerShot SD750
    Canon PowerShot SD900
    Canon PowerShot SD990 IS
    Canon EOS 20D
    Canon EOS 40D
    Canon EOS M
    Olympus OM-D E-M5
    Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
    Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
    Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Canon EF-M 22mm F2 STM
    Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
    Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get rid of the E-M1 and the A7R and get a Leica M 240. You then can get your girlfriend a Leica T 701! :wink: :biggrin:
  3. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    haha, not very helpful
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The FE (is that what they call i?) system has 3 bodies and 4 lenses. That is the issue I see over and over with Sony. They are a fantastically innovative company with zero focus. They are all over the map. The make amazing camera bodies, but are super slow in creating camera systems.

So sell the Sony, buy your girlfriend a GX7 or EM10 (or GM1), and use the EM1 (with shared lenses) until you get tired of letting the 5D3 collect dust in your closet (at which point you sell the 5D3)

You can get adapters and use diverse lenses on m43 as easily as FE

And don't worry so much about upgrades. Were already at a point where the m43 sensor is good enough for 98% of all commercial work, and Panasonic supposedly has organic sensors coming in 2015. Unless you guys are printing really really big, the only differences you will see are in color depth and DOF.
  5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't understand this part. Could you expand on it please?

At any rate, why not take your gf into a camera store and get her to handle a dozen or so camera and see which one feels 'right' to her? Maybe all she wants is a simple point and shoot?
  6. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    camera store? what is that? I don't think there are any left in Chicago area. And the ones that are left have few rebels and few cheap nikons nothing interesting.
  7. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    little concerned where Olympus/Panasonic is heading...

Olympus got into bed with Sony, maybe at some point there will be Olympus full frame? Panasonic is mingling with Fuji and Leica, when will those new Oragnic sensors hit?
    Olympus and Panasonic already once abandoned a system.
    M43 seemed to have been stuck at 16MP for quite a while...
  8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Isn't Calumet in Chicago? Oh... wait...
  9. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    thats what bothers me with Sony E-Mount... Even now I looked at A6000, and there aren't many lenses options and E mount been out for long time.

True, but the 2x crop sensor can be an issue, hard to find a lens that after you adapt it would remain wide angle. Even buying old vintage 24mm wide angle, after adapting, I would get 48. Still need to reserach those "speed boosters" to bad that metabones cost more then most vintage lenses.

That organic sensor sounds amazing, thats one of the concerns... will I be kicking myself 2+ years from now for not buying Fuji....
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Fuji is the only mirrorless system I would look at aside from m43. But from what I have read, they have their drawbacks.

A few things though. If you are in the mindset of more MP means better camera, m43 might not be for you. At 50% crop ratio, m43 is already almost at the pixel density of a D800 or A7r, so its likely staying at 16MP. I feel that in todays environment and with todays tech, 16 is more than enough (D4 is 16, A7s is 12), but if you are searching for the most MP possible for super hi-res stills, m43 is not for you.

Second, m43 is going to be around for a while. Panasonic is on a real roll. They have lens design abilities, as good or better than anybody these days ( http://www.43rumors.com/curiosity-n...hical-lens-that-gets-rid-of-the-onion-effect/ ), And with cameras like the GH4 they are pushing hybrid past what Canon has done with the 5D3, and they are creating a market with hybrid that has a lot of working pros on board and excited. And you already know what Olympus offers. Great still cameras and superb optics.

Finally, if you want light, fast, flexible gear, m43 hits that sweet spot. You are here on m43.com, so of course I'm going to tell you that m43 is the way to go, but it has the best lens line up in mirrorless systems, a huge variety in bodies, the ability to go super lightweight (EPM or GM) or just lightweight (EM1 or GH) or somewhere in between (EM10, GX7).

Don't worry too much about it. You have lots of nice gear, and you have everything you need to create great images. I would sell the Sony (for the reasons you listed) and get a m43 body for your girlfriend. Or go Fuji, but in my experience, the more I worry about gear... the more I worry about gear. I know people who go through multiple systems a year, but ultimately its about the art, not the gear.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The only thing I can add to GFFPhoto's excellent reply is to remember that if the m43's are now good enough for 98% of commercial work, they'll exceed the abilities of most amateurs and hobbyists. Even the old 12mp camera's are still rocking the commercial world ie - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64116

I dropped back to my old PM1 from the fandangled PM2 simple because I could not 'gel' with the body. And also because I quickly realised the PM1 still exceeds my own photographic abilities :biggrin:
  12. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    thanks, that a good post, I need to figure out what to settle on, when I was buying the E-M1, i was trying to decide between E-M1 and X-T1, reason why I didn't go with Fuji was the 6400iso limit in RAW and 1/4000 shutter limit.

and in case anyone is wondering what we shoot: We mostly take pictures while on hike, or walking around a town. While on hike that can include portrait, wildlife and landscape, on rare occasion I like to head out to race tracks and abandoned buildings.

We have a baby on a way, so there will be a lot of baby photos.

Nothing professional.

I also posted the same question on two other forums
  13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I shoot a lot while hiking, usually with a body and 1 or 2 primes. M43 is a fantastic system for stuff like that. My landscapes are all handheld, no tripod, at locations I find while hiking (not hiking somewhere just for a photo). m43 works for me, because whenever I have had bigger systems, I left them at home most of the time. I've been trying to push the boundaries of what I shoot, but I still do plenty of found landscapes when I'm out (here is my flickr if you want to see https://www.flickr.com/photos/gusfriedman/ )
  14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm not quite clear on your exact needs and what you're missing. Based on the 'I do a lot of hiking', I would (and personally did) opt for the combination of the A7r and the E-M1. Sell the 5D, sell all the Canon glass (it's lovely; I owned a lot of the same lenses you do, but it's so damn heavy), buy a 43 50-200 to tide you over until the 40-150/2.8 pro comes out, sell the 28-70 and buy the Zeiss 24-70 if you want a stabilized normal zoom on the A7. The FF/43 sensor combo is more ideal in terms of balancing sizes and performance (and lens selection) than the APS-C cameras.
  15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    m43 system is currently in a league of its own as far as mirrorless go. Get E-m10 or GH-x (if you need pro video) as a second camera to your E-M1. Keep one system, invest in high grade lenses and lightning equipment: Pana 7-14, Oly 75, upcoming Oly 40-150 f2.8, PL Nocticron, PL25, etc.
  16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'll bet your GF would love the Leica T.:biggrin:
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    This ;
    Alpha-6000 with cheap lenses for your girlfriend and to replace your Olympus,
    A7R for compact full-frame using old lenses,
    Adapter plus any of the millions of old Sony/minolta/Zeiss lenses for serious stuff ...
    and in the end your Canon gets sold too, eventually.
  18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    The and I each just sold off all our Canon equipment including 5DIII, 7D, and a stack of L glass. Our new systems that we are building is centered on E-M1 with Pro lenses (as they become available). Neither of us miss the 5DIII for shooting landscape and landscapes or the 7D for wildlife.

It was an incredible joy to go hiking and doing stream photography with small, light M43 equipment that is weather sealed, The older you get, the more you will appreciated M43. No matter how good the equipment, if you can't carry to a location for a shoot, it is not worth much.
  19. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Having read your post, personally If it were me I would sell the A7. If the 5D is too large for your girlfriend then why not get her an EM5/EM10 - that way you can consolidate/share your lens collection and you'll both have something ideal for hiking & baby photos.
  20. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'd dump the A7 first. Lens selection is limited and "image quality" is overblown, it probably accounts for 2% or less of actual picture quality when compared to any modern camera body. IMO focus speed and reliability are paramount. If a shot isn't in foucs, it's not worth keeping. Second up is size,a camera that is too big is left at home.