which camera after epl1?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by onurpnr, Sep 28, 2012.

1. onurpnr

onurpnr Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Hi folks,

I am currently using epl1( which I am not happy with the image quality) and the kit lens and 5d with 24-105 lens (which is perfect imagequality for me but too heavy for everyday using).

I just want to replace( if possible) my dslr and bulky lens with a small size camera. i tried fuji x100 and found it to be too slow and I couldnt understand hot the metering works. Just got dark photos and af didnt seem to be working right to me. I really wanted to buy but I couldnt be sure about it.

Any advices on a camera for me? I like taking portraits and street photos. I dont need a tele lens or a macro lens but I want definetely better photo quality than my old epl1 and the kit lens.

Your comments are much appreciated.
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    If you are looking for better image quality and to replace the 5d, your best bet is either the currently available Olympus e-m5, or the two upcoming Olympus camera e-pm2 or e-pl5 (assuming you want to stick with Olympus for in-body stabilization). Any older cameras will have pretty much the same sensor/image output of your e-pl1.
  3. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Firstly I think you need to establish if it's the camera, lens or dare I say it, user? Shelling out $$$$ on new kit might not improve things.

You need to be a little more specific about the issues you have, post more details and images to show your point. I keep thinking perhaps I would get better result from a new body, then I look at the images some of the guys on here post with the same kit and I know where the problem lies. I have a GF1 and still am no where near competent enough with it to say that I'm not the weakest link in the equation.

You may well be better off sticking to your olly and adding the Panasonic 14mm or 20mm f1.7and the Olly 45mm f1.8. Great value lenses and there are plenty of used bargains to be had.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The kit lens that shipped with the E-PL1 was not a particularly good lens. The second generation was better, but there are excellent primes available that would serve you better. Take a look at the photos that littleMT gets with the E-PL1 and the 14mm, they are outstanding.
    That being said, the E-P3 is a nice upgrade in terms of ergonomics, build quality, AF speed and price. For a solid leap in sensor quality and IBIS the OM-D E-M5 is the way to go, but price is still high.
  5. onurpnr

onurpnr Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    I am sorry maybe I couldnt explain what I was trying to say. I Want to replace my 5d with a smaller but not disappointing camera. the images I get with my epl1 and the kit are soft. also I am getting grainy images if the light is not very good.

1 I need image quality to be at least like 7d.
    2 I need a small camera to carry with me all the time.

Honestly I thought of getting 20mm pancake but I have seen quite soft images on internet. Maybe its me because I am used to 5d images with the full frame sensor.

I am stuck between buying a cropped sensor dslr with a fixed prime or a smaller mirrorless or x100.
  6. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    I agree with Gyles. Look threw the pic thread for the EPL1. That's what I do when I get to thinking I need better equipment. If your pics are not quite as good as most of those, I would think it isn't the equipment. If they are and you want better, then go for it.

I'm a nube to photography and have the EPL1 and a G2. I will stay with the old sensor equipment until my skill set improves and can justify moving up. I might even end up staying with old. Part of me thinks just how many more pixels do we need and how much better do the sensors have to be. At some point there may be a ground shaking breakthrough in technology which would make it a no brainer to justify new equipment. Until that happens, I most likely will not go along for the ride.

But then the EPL5 does look awfully fine.
  7. onurpnr

onurpnr Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    These are the photos I took yesterday. And lots of PS made them look better but I think I am still looking for the 5d images which I used to see.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Any of the current 16 MP m43 cameras will offer significantly better IQ than the old 12 MP sensor cameras. From Oly, that means the OM-D, or the forthcoming EPM2 or EPL5. From Panasonic, The G3 and G5, GX1, GH2 and forthcoming GH3.

I think all of these cameras exceed the 7D in IQ, in many respects. Much better in terms of resolution. But the smaller sensor does translate into more noise at high ISO. That's pretty much physics. If you're not willing to learn and use good NR techniques, and need excellent high ISO performance, m43 probably isn't for you. Look at the image comparator on DPR to compare the various m43 cameras to you 5D and the 7D.

What you really need to decide is what features, capabilities and ergos you want in the camera. Is a built-in EVF important, or are you happy with composing on the rear screen? Do you want a DSLR style camera, with a grip, and similar ergos to the 5D? Or will you accept a small grip or no grip, and be willing to use the menus to make most settings? Is IS with all lenses important? Oly includes it in body, Panasonic in many, but not all, lenses.

As for the lens, you simply can't rely on photos you see on the web to judge lens quality. You know nothing about the competence of the photographer, whether focus was spot on, what level of sharpening was applied, or anything else that can affect IQ. The 20mm lens is capable of very sharp images, used properly. The 25mm is a bit better, but not dramatically so.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    If you're seeing soft images from the 20mm, its either user error or a faulty lens. There's nothing soft about the 20mm.
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Show please, the e-pL1 is well known for excellent potential sharpness, and the Olympus kit lenses are rarely 'soft'.

Sharper lenses ;
    Lumix 20mm
    Olympus 45mm
    Lumix 14-45 (not14-42)
    Olympus 12mm & other more expensive lenses from both companies.

You posted two photos, neither of which shows your point, can you post an example of your problem without referencing the 5D, or by posting similar but better photos from your 5D?
  11. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    If you are not happy with the Pan 20 and the EPL1, which are two highly thought of pieces of equipment in the m4/3 community, I am thinking you are not going to be happy with m4/3. The EPL1 is old technology, but is capable of taking pictures within its range just as good as the newer sensors.

There should be a camera within m4/3 that would suit your needs.
  12. onurpnr

onurpnr Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    I have posted the images which are sharpened on pp. the one I am posting now is wuite soft and grainy even on iso 200 at f3.6

@Meyerweb thank you for the tip. I will have a look at the test photos of 5d and the cameras I am considering. Now I think gx1 with 20mm will be a good option for me.
  13. onurpnr

onurpnr Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks Boatman,

I dont have the 20mm with me but I have considered to buy it but im not satisfied with the epl1 with 20mm 1.7 photos. The problem is I think I am looking for DOF on the mirrorless cameras and comparing it to my FF cam. I think I will not be happy with any small sensor mirrosless cam. the only one I like the images of is x100 in my price range and its just slow.

I will give gx1 a change I think before I completely forget about the mirrorless cams.
  14. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    If you want very shallow depth of field on m43rds, you need to use a longer lens as well as have a wide f stop.
  15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With all due respects and without any offense , EPL1 offers one of the best IQ in MFT world at peanuts .There are many people who preferred it over current generation MFTs except OMD and Panny GH2, G3 or GX1. You probably learn to get some decent primes and it will offer u an output similar to your DSLR. We have a use LittleMT here .Please see her car shots and decide if there is something in ur ur approach or technique which is causing . There is no camera which will make u a good photographer overnight .There is nothing which this camera wont offer u as compared to Canon 5D . Having said that .. make a jump and buy OMD with Oly 45 mm 1.8 and PL 25 1.4 along with PL 75 mm 1.8 and then see where u stand .

Here are some threads for u..

• Like Like x 1
  16. onurpnr

onurpnr Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Thank you all for the creative and friendly responces for my problem. After seeing the images taken by epl1 and 20mm 1.7 which Bhupinder2002 pointed I think I will give a chance to 20mm 1.7 and keep my 5d with me. I couldnt find it here in Turkey but a friend of mine will buy one for me on his trip to Us.

Once again Thank you very much being so friendly and helpful
  17. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    I'm currently at Disney World thinking about what camera will be next. I made a short trip with here with the EPL1 and I love not lugging a heavier camera and lens around. When I get home and upload some photos I plan on comparing them against my photos taken with my Nikon D90. Somethings gotta go!!
    • Like Like x 1