1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which butterfly is this ?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by mauve, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fAbnSe-X8beGn8zW23tptw?feat=embedwebsite"> bombyx. "800" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">De <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/manuel.viet0/OLYMPUSEP1?feat=embedwebsite">OLYMPUS E-P1</a></td></tr></table>

I'm not really fond of nature, and macro is definitively not my cuppa', but this specimen caught my eye ; I guess it's a bombyx of sort, but it really looks like a hanging dead leaf (to the point I thought that's what it was until I bent myself to see closer).

Any help appreciated (I know the picture isn't good by any standard, I know I should have gone the full monty, with tripod and extender, but really, as I said, beetles and macro don't make me tick from a photographic point of view).

Cheers,

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Very probably Mimas tiliae, known as the Lime Hawk-moth.

Nice find, what a pity you didn't want to make a really good pic of this !

BTW, did you see how much this moth resembles to an Avro Vulcan strategic bomber ?

have a nice evening,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I can confirm the identification made by Rafael, it is indeed a Lime Hawkmoth.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Thank you both for the prompt answer, so I've learned the french name is "Sphynx du Tilleul".

Sorry for the shot quality, but I didn't had anything besides my OM 50 mm, and the outside temperature being over 30°C today, I wasn't enthralled at the perspective of running back and forth from home to pick up more stuff to carry. Next time, maybe.

Cheers,