1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which body best charms the rattlesnake?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by stillshunter, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My contact at Panasonic was unfamiliar with this issue but immediately tested and confirmed it. He is now working with others at Panasonic and Olympus to try and get us a fix. Hope they can make it happen!

• Like Like x 2
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Excellent! It's nice to have 'pull' isn't it?

DH

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't think I have much pull, but it's very nice that the Panasonic folks reached out to me to try and help address issues!

4. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Amin,
    You have become an heroic figure here.

Very grateful for your intervention.

M

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

You do realize don't you that if some genuine action and perhaps even resolution comes from this that you will have to change the title next to your avatar from 'admin' to 'high priest' !!

6. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Oh Amin. Understated as always :blush: You go get 'em tiger!!!...we're all right here behind you mate.

As an update, and shock and aghast, I found a very sweet deal on a Panasonic body and am glad to report the PL25 works just fine on-board. There is a definite click when the sensor hits strong light - but it's a singular sound and nowhere near as loud nor as laboured and ratcheted as on the EP3. So very happy, very happy indeed. Also really love the feel of the 'old' Panny in hand...didn't much fall for the newer offerings but, what can I say, they knew how to make cameras back in 2009 :wink:

So GF-1 in the bag and E-P3's off to market....

7. Livnius

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    It feels an incredibly natural relationship the GF1 + PL25, I realized within 5 minutes of putting mine together that this was going to be my default combo for quite some time to come. The 20 1.7 took a seat at the eBay departure lounge within the week.

Despite the newer cameras boasting larger sensors, tilty swivelly thingies and improved this or that.....I will be perfectly content to stick to this combo for at least year or 2 and patiently wait and see how things develop with the GX1.

It's awesome that you too have found happiness in a 'golden oldie'

;) 

8. So...I finally just found an old GF1 at a price my long-term curiousity just couldn't refuse. Someone should have told me that I'd need to buy a PL25 as well. Talk about hidden costs, sheesh!

9. Livnius

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    You have a very understanding wife Nic ;) 

10. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    You are spot-on mate :2thumbs:

Really happy with the PL25 mounted, the weight and feel is perfect. Having said that I have the 20, 14-45 and 45-200 sitting ready as back-up - if, and as, the need arises. I was tempted to put the 20mm up to eBay but for the price I paid for the kit, it's worth a helluva lot more to me and doesn't take up much room :wink:.

Like you I'll be more than content with the GF-1 for a while and might consider the trade-up to the GX-1 once the stampede's passed and street prices hit a healthy equilibrium. But there's gonna have to be some serious pixie-dust within, as I'm loving the cleanliness of the ISO100 shots compared to many of the base 160 (or is that 200) shots I see off the 16MP sensor

Gotta say, this little thing is amazing for something so long in the tooth...but them teeth are mighty sharp. Not seeing perceptible enough difference from the EP3 shots to justify tolerating the rattlesnake. The only thing that has me wavering on the EP3 is the VF2 clipped to it. But, truth be told, the LVF-1 that came bundled is certainly not as bad as all reviewers make out. I can live with it....and the size is definitely far better than that of the Oly offering.

A happy camper without the threat of snake bites.

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Dublin, IE
    Pavel
    Mark, I'm so happy you found the body that plays well with your PL25! :2thumbs: I've noticed this also: when my GH2 stops down the lens, it does this in one step, but the E-P3 seems to stop down the lens gradually which results in that horrible sound.

12. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks Pavel - not only for the reply but for all your help and support (on and off this thread) throughout my whole ordeal :blush: You're a good mate, and the first round, when me meet one day, is certainly on me! :drinks:.

Well it appears the single click is common behaviour for the PL25 on Panasonic bodies. I don't want folks walking away with the impression that it's all like monks in silent prayer. There is some sound associated with this stellar lens on their native (Panasonic) bodies. But, from my testing on GF1, G2, G3, GH2 bodies the sound is apparent but short and sharp. The racket on the PENs is a long, loud protracted ratchet and so I, personally, would not recommend the combination.

...an expensive lesson, but one that sees me happier on the other side. But even more relieved once the PEN is sold.

To everyone who replied on this thread, my sincerest thanks. What a place this is! :biggrin:

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Woohoo!!

Thanks Amin!!

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    For now!!! Just kidding! I'm sure it's for a lifetime!! Just being a jokester! I know nothing about marriage. At least not yet!

Congrats on the new GF1 Mark! I wasn't fortunate enough to find a good priced GF1 when I was trying to mate my PL25 subsequent to the EP3 and Mini experiments. So ended up with a GF2, which I have grown fond of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.