1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which body best charms the rattlesnake?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by stillshunter, Nov 13, 2011.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Well I am excited and yet nervous and apprehensive...

The PL25 (Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm f1.4) has arrived onshore and is only days away from my postbox. I have been keen on this lens since its announcement and bought into :43: for this lens primarily, as well as the 12/2 and 45/1.8. Now when I bought into the platform and chose cameras I tried them all and settled on the EP3 as I found the ergonomics the best for what was at hand - GF2, GF3, G3, GH1, GH2, EPL2, EPM1, EP3.

I was torn at the time, and am even more torn now, about how the EP3 will receive the PL25. I've read much of the dreaded rattlesnake (clicking aperture in bright light). I will know more once the camera and lens are united, but I am expecting the worst. Just to prepare me psychologically - and noting that the PL25 stays - I wondered what the alternative were if the worst was realised and I cannot live with the sound....which :43: body is the nearest to silent with the PL25?

Also I have been given some advice that a variable fader (ND) filter helps - with the (LCW) Light Craft Works and Polaroid both being recommended. So screw in the fader when the light is strong and dial in the darkness enough so the lens isn't provoked so much by the light. I wondered if anyone has tried this and whether it was a success?

I just want to be excited about the PLs arrival, so your help in addressing the nerves (other than downing a stiff Scotch) is greatly appreciated.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So, you buy an expensive wide aperture lens to throw out a couple stops of light by running an ND filter? Huh?

I have always said this lens didn't make sense when the 20/1.7 is in the lineup, and I would suggest that if the "rattlesnake" is too much of a problem for you, there is a much cheaper solution than switching bodies ...

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    With use on the GF1.

Only when indoors and the house is in complete silence (no tv, no radio, no people movement or talking) only then is the rattlesnake 'barely' audible.

Outside......the same applies.

If there is even minimal background noise, the normal hum of the day, in either situation, it is almost completely overpowered and audible only by placing the camera close to my ear.

Can't comment on other bodies.

4. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    G'day Livnius! Mate, 'regressing' to a GF1 is always an option... Glad to hear it (and that you don't :wink:), and sounds like you're enjoying the lens.

@ ~tc~ - I hear what you're saying, but note that you can still take full advantage of the widest aperture with an ND onboard. Actually, even without the rattlesnake I'd probably still employ one in those cases where I want minimum DoF but where the light is too strong.

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    :) stunning bit of kit that ep3 by all accounts and I wouldn't imagine going the gf1 will ever be a real option.

A shame though that both Panasonic and Olympus let a couple of annoying issues slip through to the keeper with the 25mm rattlesnake and the hit & miss focus with the 45mm. Killer lenses, I'm fortunate to have both, but even luckier that I haven't experienced issues with either.

Good luck.

6. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    With you 100% mate. The EP3 is a cracker and the AF speed would be sorely missed! Like I said, I've not got the lens yet so it might all be storm in a teacup.

I'd never heard that about the 45/1.8. Makes sense though, because I noticed this when watching Kai's (digitalrev) review of the lens. Seems a lot of the shots hit the background and missed the target. Still looks sweet though and will be in the bag straight after the 12/2.

7. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Firstly, you may not have a problem. It doesn't seem to affect all lenses.
    Secondly, you can programme a function button to set exposure lock and that stops it.
    Thirdly, it does still click on Panasonic bodies, but its so quiet its virtually unoticeable.

8. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I just got this lens the other day. Using it on my gh2 I notice no noise or difference in use from any of my other lenses.

As for it not making sense next to the 20mm, I couldn't disagree more. This lens realizes the dream hinted at by the 20mm. To me it was so frustrating to have a fast lens with such slow focus. It really ruined it for many of the fast action uses I had in mind for it. Also, no AF noise when shooting video. Also having a lens hood and even faster aperture is very nice!

Did it need to be a priority for Panasonic with the other holes in their lineup? Probably not, but I'm one happy customer nonetheless :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Shoot in M mode and rattlesnake goes away

10. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks fellas. Well she arrived today from Kenmore cameras - a whole 3 business days from pressing the button to arrival here in Oz...great store that!

The PL25 is a thing of beauty. Perfectly weighted on the EP3 and I even don't mind the hood :blush:

But alas it came with a free rattlesnake and a rather aggressive one.
    So is it loud?
    You bet!
    Can I live with it?
    Time will tell.

But even from the meagre test shots so far the outputs are enough to convince me that the EP3 goes well before the lens does. Man is this thing sharp where you need it to be and what you choose to throw in the background looks pretty creamy for an (equivalent) f2.8!

So at worst I'll trade in the EP3 for something less inciting of the snake's rage. Funny thing is Zach that I've heard from folks (such as Pavel - aka stratokaster) with the GH2 who have also claimed the rattle remains. Hmmm...

@ntblowz, tried it in M mode and the sound remains.

...but a great hint with the exp. lock. I'll try that tomorrow - as the sun has gone down here. That would help when I'm cruising and have it on, then just flick the switch and let it rattle its tail. Again if it gets too much then I'll look to the tally on here, and test the lens on cameras in-store. Surely, there will be something to charm it....maybe the GX1 :blush:

Again, folks, the sound is loud but man this lens is something else!!!!

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I use the E-P3 and PL25 combo, and the noise is aggressive as ever, but as long as I am not shooting video, I can live with that "rattlesnake" noise, because photos taken with this lens is just beautiful. The AF speed is so much faster than the 20mm that it allows me to capture more keepers with my kid running around than the 20mm could ever manage.

12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    It did get to me and I did what you are considering. I went to a store and tried it on a G3, which was a lot better. Its still there, but way quieter and I really don't notice it.

I'm also considering a GX1 as I prefer that design over the G3, and the lens does do wonders with those extra pixels.

As you say, it is a wonderful lens and its a real shame that it does this with the Pens. Whether Olympus or Panasonic ever get round to some kind of "fix" for it remains to be seen.

13. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have the same problem with my 20mm, but I just try to live with it. I don't think I've ever noticed it on the 17mm though. If I could only afford the PL25. Oh well, at least I could afford some other lenses.

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    With the GH2 there is no rattlesnake unless you have the 'Constant Preview' setting set to on. Which I don't recommend anyway because for some bizarre reason this setting introduces significant shutter lag in certain circumstances.

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Congrats on the PL25! Enjoy the lens Mark. It's a good one, with or without rattlesnaking. It bothered me enough to return the EP3, but it doesn't bother others.

16. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    Well I'll persevere for the present, but would love the whole unit a whole lot more without the presence of the rattlesnake. The GH2 looks like the best 'back-up' option, but I simply can't get passed the feeling of the EP3 in hand. It's just right.

In a vain attempt to see if anything can be done to satisfy my selfish need, I wrote the following letter to Olympus:

I don't expect any resolve.....but then again when I complained about the touch-screen and the havoc it played with my generous European schnoz.....well first firmware had a "automatically disable touch-screen when VF enabled" fix :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    +1 for the letter. You've got nothing to lose for trying... :thumbup:

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Hmm... Does the rattlesnake sound occur in low-light situations too, or only in bright light?

Cheers,

DH

19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    With the EP3, under indoor conditions, it only rattles if you point the camera at or near a bright light source.

20. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    OMG, I just experienced rattlesnake! Are you guys serious? The noise is very loud, nothing like 20mm. It's very distracting; I'll be returning the lens no doubt. It's unacceptable! Everyone in the room could clearly hear it even with a TV on!