Which battery?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dogears, Jan 12, 2010.

1. dogears

dogears New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Can you recommend for the G1 - Panasonic or not (3rd party - hoping FW1.3 will allow it)... and how many is safe... 2 extra?
    TIA!

2. Carlarm

Carlarm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
  3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Morning everyone, (in the UK and related time zones, at least)

I am looking to buy a couple of Batteries for my G1 in the UK

I looked on EBay and aftermarket Chinese made ones are about £15

Has anyone bought one or can anyone recommend a UK supplier?

(surprisingly the place I bought my G1 did not have any panasonic ones in stock)

I also read recently that for certain Panasonic cameras the firmware did NOT allow the use of NON Panasonic batteries - has anyone found this happening

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Just to add to this - I have done a little research on what is available in the UK

OEM G1 Battery is – Panasonic DMW-BLB13E – 7.2v – 1250mAh - 9.0Wh – Li-ion – Made in China – notice the E on the end of the reference

PRICES
    OEM replacements seem to range from £55 to £100 - some with, ........ some without the E
    after market range from £14 to £30 – and most are marked 1300mAh, (not 1250 as the OEM one is), - I have not seen any with the E - all I have seen are marked 13 NOT 13E
    All are made in China

Question: Maybe most of the aftermarket ones DO NOT work with Firmware version 1.2 and above – some vendors clearly state that their batteries ONLY work with firmware 1.1 or earlier

Can anyone comment – is the E to do with firmware 1.2 upgrade

Does anyone know the difference?

Amazon list a few
    The battery sites on the web have them
    The crafty ads do not let you see the spec side of the Battery

If you look at the comments here

which I do not quite understand in relative to what they are selling, it seems to state what has happened

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill, I've uploaded the rogue firmware v1.4 which supports third party batteries here.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    when you state "rogue" what do you mean?

presumably this has been modified from what panasonic have released?

"What's it all about Alfie?"

sounds better than Brian

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Brian - your safari site - what a great site with marvelous images - you should be very proud - there are some very talented photographers around

On the battery/firmware thing - won't the situation just be brought back to "no non panasonic batteries" which the next firmware update - or will a rogue update be produced every time

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Bill,

I'm not sure what the current state of play is wrt 3rd party battery compatibility - I have the feeling that there are some manufacturers who've overcome the Panasonic protection... as for the rogue firmware - this was a mistaken release with the battery protection not enabled... I don't expect Panasonic to make the same mistake again.

Cheers

Brian

9. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Ordered a Panasonic battery for my G1 from
    <a href="http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/" rel="nofollow">www.newworldvideodirect.com/</a>
    and they called to say that they were back ordered. They offered a 1500ma battery but I said that I was worried about incapability. I was told that the battery manufacturer had the chip and that it would work.... well guess what...
    no worky.

Be advised to stay away from...

<a href="http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/" rel="nofollow">www.newworldvideodirect.com/</a>

:dash2:

10. Carlarm

Carlarm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Brian,

See my earlier post. The (non-Panasonic) battery I got from BestBatt.com definitely works with my G1 with (non-rogue) 1.4 firmware.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
  12. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Hi.

Best price i could find in U.K. is here

John.

13. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    John

Thanks -I'll give one a try - just ordered one - US prices are a lot lower, but that's par for the course for most of this stuff

14. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Hi Bill

Yes, always cheaper in the U.S. The link to bestbatt works out £3.50 cheaper than Amazon when you include shipping to the U.K., so not a big saving, but a longer delivery time. Hope you find the one off Amazon ok, going to order one myself. :wink:

John.