1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by curveshooter, Feb 25, 2013.

1. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have a Nikon Series E 50mm/1.8 lens and a Fotodiox Nikon(G) adapter. I guess this adapter was made for G series lenses (aperture control in the body, not in the lens) because the adapter has an aperture ring. The adapter works with the Nikon E lens, but once mounted to the adapter, I cannot open the aperture beyond f/4 using the lens' aperture ring. I can open the lens farther using the adapter's aperture ring, and while this works, it's less than ideal.

So what would be a good adapter to use with this lens that will not interfere with the lens' aperture control?

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  3. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the explanation.

So if I get that adapter, I can use it without any issues with any Nikon F mount film lens? Besides the E series lenses, what other Nikon lens series would work? Would it work for Nikkor lenses?

If it makes a difference which m4/3 camera body I'm using, which I'm guessing it doesn't, this is going on a Panasonic G3.

Anywhere besides Amazon (which has it for $24 but out of stock) to get this adapter for less than the $40 MSRP?

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All Nikon/Nikkor lenses with the "F" mount will fit this adaptor but some will not fully function. The "G" lenses would fit but there would be no way to adjust the aperture. The PC-E lenses fit but would be all but impossible to use because of the magnetic aperture adjustment that they have{only the top Nikon bodies can use those lenses!}

Nikon lenses that wouldn't work would be the old rangefinder lenses, the Pronea APS lenses, Nikon 1 lenses and lenses for special uses. I think there are adaptors for the rangefinder lenses, called "S" mount. Enlarger lenses can be fitted using M39 screw adaptors, especially good for macro work. The Pronea lenses sucked and the Nikon 1 lenses would be too small.

Makes no difference which m4/3 body is used. The only thing is that Panasonic handles adapted lenses a little differently than Olympus does. With Panasonic you have to go into the menu and tell it to shoot with no lens. With Olympus you just mount and shoot! You can order direct from Fotodiox as well as their Amazon store. You can also try ebay although Fotodiox does not sell there. Some of the ebay adaptors are not as good as others.

• Like Like x 1