1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which adapter for an old vivitar on a gf2?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Lexi412, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Lexi412

Lexi412 New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2011
    Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm new to photography and just purchased a panasonic lumix dmc-gf2 from amazon. My mom has these lenses from back in the day:
    - vivitar series 1, 170-210
    - And a nikon series e 50mm

What type of adapter do I need for these?

I don't know much about thus stuff so any and all information is much appreciated. :smile:

And by the way I tried searching the forums and couldn't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Are you sure it's not a Vivitar 70-210mm? A 170-210mm would be very unusual. It depends on what mount it has on it. Vivitar branded their lenses for a variety of cameras. It could also be a T4/TX universal mount.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Since she also had a Nikon E lens it wouldn't be surprising if the Vivitar was also a Nikon mount. But you can't really say for sure without more specifics. Let us know what kind of markings are on the lens, or post some pictures of the lens face and mount for us.

Do the two lens mounts look the same? They could very well be, which would be good for you because you would then need only one adapter. ;)

I'm guessing 70-210mm as well, lenshoarder. ;)

4. Lexi412

Lexi412 New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2011
    Oops! you guys are right its a 70-210mm :)
    And yes they both go on to my mom's nikon FE.

Do you still need pictures of the mounts?

Thanks for the quick responses.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If they fit the same camera, you'll just need the same FE adapter for both. :)

6. Lexi412

Lexi412 New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2011
    any tips on where to find it? or what this type of adapter is called?

sorry for all the questions :)

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You need a Nikon F to Micro Four-Thirds mount adapter.

There are many manufacturers out there, but the best are the more expensive ones from companies like Novoflex which include an aperture ring for those newer auto lenses which don't include a ring on the lens. I assume all your lenses would have aperture rings, but if not this is an important feature as you don't want to be stuck shooting wide open. Even though it may not be necessary for you, I would still try to get one of these adapters because it will allow you to expand your lens collection with Nikon F glass from all eras. The Nikon mount, like Pentax, pretty much never changed. Legacy glass is very inexpensive, as long as you have the right adapters for them.

Novoflex brings mount adapters for Micro Four Thirds: Digital Photography Review

Otherwise, you can get lens adapters with no aperture rings from all kinds of manufacturers on eBay and Amazon. If you're in North America, two of the more reputable sellers are Rainbow Imaging and Fotodiox from the US (sorry, no Canadian sellers, US is the closest in North America). Most of the rest are from either China or Hong Kong, but they are all very inexpensive.

8. Lexi412

Lexi412 New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2011
    Wow. Thanks so much!I appreciate all your help Ned!