Which adapted lens to get for a concert?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by JohnMetsn, Aug 31, 2011.

1. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Hello all :smile:

I've been quite busy lately and had just enough time to edit some pics from our last trip for my family...can't wait to post some of them here though :biggrin:

Anyway, to the point, in October I'm going to visit one concert. As it'll be probably one time opportunity for me, I would like to take few pictures for my memories. But it seems, that all my lens (see my signature) are not really ideal for that.

The concert will be in a big hall. I'm planning to get as close as possible, but not sure how it will be in reality. Also I expect relatively dim light, even though performers usually have enough light behind them.

I'm planning to take my 20mm with me, but I guess it'll be too sort. So I was considering picking up some adapted lens.

The first on the top of my head was Canon FD 50mm f1.4 S.S.C.

What would be your suggestion?

I'm opened to some kind offers as well, if you got some spare lens to sell :wink:

Thank you :smile:
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    If you can get close to a stage any legacy 50mm f1.4 would do the job.

The Pen 40mm f1.4 tends to be my weapon of choice for low light concert shooting just because its quite compact and makes the camera easily pocketable if the front of stage mayhem gets out of control (then again it might not be that sort of concert . . .)

An 85mm f2 might be handy too (the Zuiko one I have is pretty stellar) but you'd need to crank up the ISO a bit more.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

It might :wink:

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YNQ97dY_zE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you for your suggestion...but I just got reply from the organizer, that taking pictures is strictly prohibited and any camera will be closed to the locker at the entrance check. Oh well...such a nice opportunity to buy a new lens it was ;)