1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which adapted lens manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sabeking, Mar 4, 2012.

1. sabeking

sabeking Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2012
    North Carolina
    Hey everybody...

I am fascinated with the adapted lens possibilities I see here. I would like to try some out; however, I want to do it on the cheap. I'm thinking about buying one adapter and trying a lens series with my E-PL1. I don't have a particular thing I want to photgraph, rather, I want find multiple lenses to support that.

Based on the above, does anyone have a specific manufacturer and series I should look into that they have had good success with my camera? Remember, I want to make my cake and eat it too... great quality, cheap price.

Stacey

2. sabeking

sabeking Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2012
    North Carolina
    BTW, I would like to get prime lenses...

Stacey

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Going cheap is easiest by buying lenses with obsolete mounts like Minolta MD (my favourites), Canon FD/FL, Olympus OM, Konica AR, Contax/Yashica, M42 thread lenses and maybe others I forgot.

Spend at most $25 for an adapter from eBay and buy a 50mm lens for a few tens of dollars. The old standard lenses are fast, f/2 or faster, mostly excellent and make a nice short telephoto on your MFT camera. If that really wets your appetite you can start looking for shorter and longer focal lengths; I like 28mm a lot as a longish standard lens for MFT and e.g. a Minolta 28/2.8 can also be had for around $30.

If it turns out you like using legacy glass, you may want to start saving up for a VF-2 viewfinder or a body with a built-in viewfinder. A lot of people prefer using a viewfinder for focussing with legacy glass. I do it all the time like that, but I don't even have a camera without a viewfinder :smile:.

You may want to consult a very nice thread published here on the use of legacy lenses.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Definitely check out the OM Zuiko series. Never gone wrong with any of their lenses. They have a good consistency of quality... some of their lenses are better known of course, but even the most "mediocre" of their lineup is quite good! The Zuiko lenses all have great rich color, and buttery smooth raised rubber focus rings.

I'm also a pretty big fan of the Konica Hexanon and Contax/Yashica lineups.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Check out your local thrift stores. So far I've found Canon FD 135mm f2.5 and FD 28mm f3.5, $4 ea, a Vivitar 55mm f1.4 Pentax screw-mount, $10, and a Pentax SMC M 50mm f1.7 attached to a Pentax ME Super with a B&H 80-200mm f4.5 macro zoom, with several unused filters and all manuals, all in a nice leather bag, for $25. Passed up many other lenses that were over-priced or scratched, but lots of bargains to be found. Still looking for that Leica. ;)

Cheapest place for the adapters appears to be directly from Rainbowimaging's website - free USPS first class shipping.

6. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I agree with Ned on the OM Zuiko lemses. I already had 2 from my 35mm days. I have noticed whilst checking out various used lenses on line that Canon FD ones are relatively cheap and seem to be more plentiful than most other manufacturers...

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There's not a whole lot of difference in quality. The main differences are price and availability. Nikon AI and Canon FD are generally the easiest to find (more were made in the first place). Pricing is more variable, but as long as you don't go for anything exotic, Canon FD, Konica and Minolta tend to be among the most affordable. Generally, the cheaper ones are the ones that can't easily be used today on other cameras (other than m4/3).

DH

8. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Buy m42 lenses since they are universal. You can find top lens from Asahi Pentax, Carl Zeiss Jena, Rollei, Tomioka, etc with m42 mount. This way you only need one adaptor for dozens of brands. M42 is also compatible with Pentax K mount, Canon, Sony, etc so if you buy another camera system, you can still adapt the lens.
    Don't forget that the russian lovely lens also are m42 mount.
    M42 lens are by far the cheapest (good) lens on the market. A Helios 44 (copy of the Zeiss 2/58) will cost 10eur!

• Like Like x 1
  9. sabeking

sabeking Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2012
    North Carolina
    what does relatively cheap mean? I look on ebay at some the suggestions and I don't have context of what is a fair price. Obviously, fair price is what I am willing to pay for it; however, I just need some help...

So, a good 25mm to 50mm prime at F2 of faster would be my first choice.

Stacey

10. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    To get an idea of the going price of lenses, decide what you want, find several of them on eBay, and put them in your "watch" list. When they sale, see how much they went for. If the price is more than you want to pay, select a different lens.
    I've found that often a camera with a lens sell for less than the lens by itself.

11. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Ebay is the worst place to buy lens. The best deals I have made are from those people that don't know nothing about photograpy. If you find someone selling a lens called skylight 58mm... maybe you will find a pearl underneath.

• Like Like x 1
  12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Concerning Minolta, I'd pay at most $20 for a 50mm 1:1.7 and slower. Look around at pawn shops, garage sales, Craigslist etc. and buy a camera with standard lens. That should be yours for again $20 or less.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I bought one of those Skylight 58mm lenses, and it was a total rip! It was some sort of flat pancake lens with no focus or zoom ring, and looked like just a piece of round glass! I couldn't even mount it on my camera because the threads were too wide to screw into the mount!! I'm never going to waste my money on one of those again. Good thing I only paid $50 for it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    LOL Ned, I didn't even know that there is a lens named "skylight". What I meant was that I bought a lens from a guy with a atached 58mm filter. He sold it as being a skylight 58mm lens but actually it was a Super Takumar 1.9/85.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2012
    San Bernardino, CA
    Help, I just received one of these from eBay--
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    and when I mount it with my Super Takumar 50mm f2.0 on my EPL1 the camera screen goes dark except when the lens is at f2.0 and on min focus distance, if I change to a different f stop or distance the screen goes dark, also if I wiggle the lens I can make the screen go dark, not sure what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jerry

16. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2012
    San Bernardino, CA
    This is very strange. The adapter came with 2 threaded rings, a silver and a black, and with the black ring everything works just fine. I can close down the aperture and focus to infinity no problem. So still not sure what the problem was with the silver ring.

Jerry

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I know, I was just role-playing from the dummy's point-of-view if he were the buyer instead of the seller. ;)

18. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    :rolleyes:
    I guess that not being english my first language helps to the confusion.

19. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    English is my second language, my problem is: I don't have a first.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Sabeking where in NC are you? I have a Minolta MD 50mm 1.7 I'm not using. Let me know what you want for it.