Which 85mm or similar?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mnhoj, Feb 10, 2012.

1. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I was all excited with the 75mm announcement. But now I'm not. :frown:

So I'm going to adapt a similar length to get me by until December. My first thought is the Nikon 85mm F2(coming from shooting Nikon for the past five years). Although I've never owned one it would seem to be a good choice for me. 52mm thread, reasonably priced, and fairly compact for it's focal length.

I also thought about the Rokinon 85mm 1.4. It seems a bit large but images look great.

I was hoping some of you here would point me toward a few other choices. Something in between 70mm and 105mm. F2-F2.8. Small size and small price are bonuses.

Thanks.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    They're all great, a long-focus lens is relatively easy to make. Canon FD, Minolta Rokkor, Konica Hexanon, Leica M, you name it. Just choose a brand and jump in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think your best bet would be the Samyang/Vivitar/Rokinon 85mm f/1.4. Very respectable aperture, native Four-Thirds mount (even though it's manual), and it's a modern lens with good quality coatings and optics. You should have no problems shooting it wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks guys.

I think I like the ROK F1.4 best from my research so far. Everything except the size. Not a deal breaker but smaller is king.:smile:

Ned - Is there an advantage to the 4/3 mount vs. Nikon/Canon?

Any ideas for something slightly shorter? 60mm-75mm?

5. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Tamron adaptall sp 90/2,5

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    Fan of the Nikon 85mm f2

I was given this lens and have used with my G2 and I am believer.
    Can't compare to any other 85s but I appreciate this lens for small size, 52mm filters and the way it allows me to seperate subject from background.
    I've seen them on EBay for around $200.
    What ever you get I'ld be interested in know how you like it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Quality-wise Samyang is the winner (= Rokinon/Bower/etc - it's the same lens), it's also faster and has nice bokeh, and quite affordable. Only the size spoils the picture. I've briefly used Samyang 35mm and 85mm with a DSLR, great lenses, but at the same time they were actually the reason I've switched to m43... too freaking heavy and hard to work with, at least for a beginner in photography like myself.

8. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks.

I used to have one(52b) and the thought did cross my mind. I love the size and performance. Plus the added ability to do close ups.

9. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    I believe tamron sp 18 ext tube to get the 1:1 magnify,yes it is great macro

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

• Like Like x 1
  10. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    As to the advantage of 4/3 vs Canon/Nikon, in te case of this manual lens there's no real difference. It will make a difference if you use other 4/3 lenses or if you adapt your other SLR lenses to 4/3 (both would apply to myself). Otherwise, it 's just a more modern lens than most, and delivers overall good performance.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Beginners overshooting their equipment needs and then giving up is the number one reason I always advise beginners to start small. No offense, but a beginner has no place to be jumping in straight to large aperture, manual lenses such as you mention, especially if you were pairing it with a fairly advanced SLR like a 7D, D7000, D700, etc. That is absolutely what turns people off to serious cameras, and in many cases what turns them off to photography as well. Go look at the legions of people picking up an intro-level camera and kit lens as their first camera, and even without learning photography, they are loving it. Advanced features and performance are just going to frustrate new photographers. I came from years of film experience, was working as a photographer for a newspaper using early Canon DSLRs like the D60, and when I finally bought my first personal DSLR (Nikon D40, current version is the D3100), it still took me months to be familiar and confident with it. People often think that they're saving money going straight to the top as well, but this isn't the case. By the time I felt the D40 was holding me back, the D80 was heavily discounted. I was able to keep my D40 and buy a D80 (all bought new) for less money overall than if I had just bought a D80 at the beginning of my journey, and I didn't miss out on any experience or capabilities.

Yes, that's the one many others are speaking about as well. Since the lens doesn't communicate with the camera, it actually doesn't matter which mount one chooses. Just go for whichever lens + mount combo you can get the cheapest, especially if you plan on using the mount for other lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The 85/2 F-Mount is a good lens, very compact. They used to have a bad reputation because they are not quite as sharp as the 105/2.5. "Bum Rap".

Other lenses : The Canon 85/1.8 in FD mount, the Russian Jupiter-9 85mm F2 in M42 mount.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks.
    For some unexplained(dumb) reason I was thinking the 4/3 version might be different physically from the other mounts and provide an advantage.

Otherwise it would seem that the other mounts are more popular and would make it easier to find used or for resale.

Too bad there's not a m43 sized version.

15. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I actually have my eye on the CV 75mm 2.5. Focal length and size just about perfect. Pricey though.

Anyone have any experience with?

16. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
  17. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I ended up ordering two lenses.

A cheap, bargain grade Nikon 75-150E F3.5 and an expensive minty Tokina 90mm F2.5 aka la Bokina.

I've had great experiences with both and am excited to see how they handle with the smaller bodies and 2x crop. I will post samples of both once I get them. Thanks again everyone for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I sent the 75-150E back. It was too much of a beater and just wasn't a pleasure to use. Images looked OK.

The Tokina 90mm is a pleasure and I am happy with the output. It is a beast however. Here's a few samples..
    6927741517_ae65638f32_b.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    There is an adaptall 2 tamron sp 90/2.5, from the price quite a bargain but dont know about the condition, try to look at the trading room:)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Ep-L1

• Like Like x 1
  20. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
    • Like Like x 1