1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which 50mm for infinity?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Kenny, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Any idea which legacy 50mm is the sharpest at infinity focus for low light? Im planning to use this to take video at night, like buildings, city, fireworks... Preferably less than usd100.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Lots of excellent ones. For low light work, what you care most about is usability wide open. And your $100 budget is going to limit you - in the sense that I can't very well recommend the best choice of all, a Leica 50mm f1.4 Summilux which has another zero in the price - or even worse, a Noctilux, which has another zero yet.

My personal favorites would both be slightly longer lenses: Either an M42 thread 55mm f1.8 Pentax SMC Takumar, or the faster Konica 57mm f1.4 Hexanon AR.

3. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    I dont mind go longer actually.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm partial to the 50 1.8 variants. They tend to be sharper than the 50 1.4 lenses wide open and can be had for cheap. I use a Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS that I bought for $40. I've compared it the fairly new $200 Nikon 50mm 1.8 G lens and optically they are pretty close.

5. Let's see... cheap, fast, sharp and moderately long. Nope,doesn't exist.

You can get 50mm lenses all over the place for under $100 and they will all be fairly fast, f2.0 or better. You will find they all sharpen up a lot when you stop them down one or one and a half stops. A good f1.4 used at f2.0 would be an option

There are a number of fast 85mm lenses as well, but they will cost more. The Nikon f2.0/85 fetches about $250. The Takumar and Hexanons will run you over $300. And, all of these will do better stopped down a bit.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I doubt you'll see a drastic difference in infinity focus in any of the major brand 50mm's. The more important factor might be finding an adapter that allows infinity focus -- most do, but it's an issue with some copies, particularly among the cheaper adapters.

I would definitely look for an f/1.4 as this will allow you to get some additional light if you need it and most 1.4s I've used are sharper at f/1.8-2.0 than a (cheaper, lighter) f/1.8-2.0 lens will be at that aperture (i.e. wide open). You should be able to find a good quality 50/1.4 plus an adapter within your budget.

My personal favorite "nifty fifty" is the Canon FD (like this one), but you can do well with a Konica, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus or Nikon as well.

7. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I'd agree with DeeJayK (except my favourite is the Pentax).

I suspect it really comes down to which adapters do you have, or what you happen to see being sold. Any of the old big names should do just fine, and even he budget C mounts should cope reasonably.

8. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Thanks guys for all the replies. Is it possible for you guys to share your night landscape photo taken with 50mm to me?