1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which 300mm or 400mm for e-m1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Speedliner, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Hi folks,

Been looking for a long lens for the e-m1. It's mission will be a few snaps at the kids sports and birds & things to hold me over until the Oly 300 comes out. The current Oly 300mm zooms and the Pany don't rate so well, so thinking something else, not too expensive to play with.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I think its largely irrelevant which camera, more relevant is "what use"

I am not sure what's wrong with the Panasonic 100-300 and why it "doesn't rate so well", but if sports are your target that's the fastest AF lens you're likely to see till the multi thousand dollar 300f4 comes to town (at at least four times the price for another single f-stop...).

Of course there is legacy 300mm ... I manage OK with a FD300

14933084692_0c908fc533_b.

3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Nice pic. The Pany and the zuiko zooms review as soft. The zuiko even negatively. I'm sure they're good, but I'd like a prime and there are so many legacy ones out there.

Best idea might be to get the 50-200 zuiko which I was thinking of anyway and add a teleconverter.

Thought it fun to experiment with legacy lenses.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Totally is

I'm just so used to the "I can't possibly be expected to manual focus " bent on this forum. Sorry about that.

Myself I like the FD300f4 as it has a great tripod mount and the manual focusing is beautiful and smooth and not too heavy. I often focus with my little finger.

The ciecio7 adapters cost a little more but are fantastic.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2010/07/ciecio7-fd-g1-adaptor.html

Some posts on me FD300 ( have also had the OM300f4.5 ... nice but I sold it)

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/search/label/FD 300

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/08/tale-of-two-teles.html

So far the things I have seen said against the 100-300 come down to unrealistic expectations combined with a lack of real comparison and a touch of user incompetence... plenty of great examples of that lens here and on flicker :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The only thing that the Oly or Pany zona don't rate high on is speed. The aperture are pretty slow.

They are not bad IQ. I personally for the Oly 75-300 and it works well in good light.

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thanks for the info Pell. My first SLR was a Pentax K1000. About as manual and no frills as it gets. The next was a pair of Minolta x-700s. Still have them and the lenses.

Cameras do so much now I have a lot to learn. I like focusing manually. Surely auto is better for action, but there is still a satisfaction in turning the barrel on a subject. Eyes aren't what they used to be though. Peaking is a big help.

Gryphon, I believe the Indian is more important than the arrow. I like unusual and fine things though, so the 300mm+ area just seems like a good place to experiment and have fun.

7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Great pics phocal and thanks for the recommendation.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Stop reading if you're experienced with long lenses like this.

The thing about long lenses is that it is like looking at the world through a soda straw. Sports action and birds generally will not stop and wait while you try to find them in the viewfinder. Repetitive things like horses on a track or polo field, race cars, etc. will come around again so that is not so bad. But random sports like kids play and of course wildlife have to be grabbed in the moment. I bought and ditched the 300mm Tokina mirror for this reason.

So for your application I think the choices are the Panny 100-300mm or putting a red dot sight on your E-M1. The shot you get with a lens that doesn't "rate very well" is vastly superior to the shot you miss because you can't find the subject in the viewfinder. And, btw, I have many shots with the 100-300mm that I find to be very satisfactory. A number of the wildlife shots (like the one below of an Ethiopian Red Fox) were made by finding the animal at 100mm and then zooming in.

Re red dot sights there have been several threads on the topic here recently and Oly has recently introduced one. I haven't used one on a camera but I have four or five on target pistols and I'm sure the same concept will work on a camera although any looseness in the fit to the hot shoe will probably mean that the aim will need to be recalibrated frequently.

P1080237.

10. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I use the Canon 300mm F2.8 L FD alot, if you want to go manual and dont mind the weight it´s a very nice lens and you can get it quite cheap.
    Alot of example pics on my site.

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thanks for the comments folks. I just bought a 50-200 SWD refurb at a great price. Adding a teleconverter might be a good option.

In the meantime I think I'll still look for a long, legacy lens for fun and that occasional really long shot at a heron or other slow-moving subject.

12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    as a shooter you should practice how to bring your camera to bear and know where its pointing almost exactly before it even comes to your eye.

That's one of the things you learn with shooting rifle too ...

practice practice practice ... not once a year and then after using your lens for one day per year turn round and say "I've been using my lens for ten years and still struggle" when the fact is you've used it ten times.

Like shooting, if you want to do it then practice it.

Also like shooting, don't jab the shutter button :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    This is so true........get so tired of people talking about how hard it is to find something with camera when using a long lens. While it may be hard (I have no idea because I starting shooting rifles when I was 8, so guess it is just natural for me), practice and it will become 2nd nature. My 400mm with a 1.4x TC and I have no problem finding a bird in the viewfinder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you and you are welcome