1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which µ4/3 bodies have focus peaking AND which ones works the best? (list will be kept current)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RDM, Jun 28, 2014.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

This is the Lazy mans way to find out which µ4/3 bodies have focus peaking & which one works the best.
    I know the Gx7 and E-M1 have it, but what others?

Update
    List of µ4/3 Bodies with Focus peaking:
    Olympus
    • E-M1
    • E-M5 (Peaking Not currently available but Olympus sources said it would come, in a future Firmware update)
    • E-M5 Mark II
    • E-M10
    • E-M10 Mark II
    • E-P5
    • E-PL7
    Panasonic
    • G-6
    • G-7
    • GF7
    • GH-4
    • GM-5
    • GM-1
    • GX-7
    • GX-8

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    GH4 has one too, and it's the latest.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    EM-10 and E-P5 have this too. On EM-10 it works fine for stills, no idea for video. You can enable it for manual focus-assist, with or without magnification, or assign it to a fn button.
    I think Panasonic lets you choose more colours for the peaking outline: with Oly is only black or white.

EM-5 should get this with a future firmware update, but...

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks Guys, I knew about the E-M5 firmware report, who knows when they may happen, but I didn't know the others. I put it all in a list on the 1st post. in-case anyone else is wondering the same thing and does a search.
    I was thinking of upgrading my camera recently (I have a GH-2), but I have decided to hold on to it a little longer and be on the lookout for my future camera purchase. The one feature I have decided that I Must have in my next camera, is focus peaking. SO I wanted to know which bodies to keep an eye out for. Even tho I have never used peaking yet, as a legacy User I feel that feature should help me tremendously.

5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

You may not be in the same position as I am for using it (novice using it for macro on a P5 with VF-4 EVF) but I found the Olympus implementation to be not amazingly useful for my purposes. The only thing it's really useful for is having the macro set to 1:1, MF, or sometimes Single AF+MF, and then moving the camera around to obtain focus and previewing it through the LCD. For any other work at any distance or wide field of view the magnify function through the EVF is much faster and more accurate. Also, the frame rate of focus peaking is ... not good. It's basically similar to what you can see on videos of the FP hack on the E-M5 - eg -

http://youtu.be/OM5QHcfwFS0

It would not surprise me at all to find that on the Olympus models with "real" FP, it's handled pretty much identically to that, as an art filter. Which means running at around 5-7 frames per second and with significant lag (~300ms+) as each image goes through the ordinary sensor-to-guts-to-displayable-image lag and is then re-processed again with the focus peaking filter over it.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The G6 has peaking, probably the GM1 also (but get verification)

On the GX7 it seems well implemented. You can choose from 6 different colors and can use it while magnifying or shooting video. I don't have much experience with other systems, but it seems well done to me.

7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Oh, yeah, on that - you have two choices on the Oly implementation - black or white highlights, and that's pretty much it. I believe you can alter this somewhat further by selecting other in-camera settings (contrast/sharpness) but IME I haven't noticed any vast differences. It's basically "make a black/white blob with a white/black outline around areas of contrast >N amount in the scene". I've seen it get fooled a few times just testing it out randomly (power lines through a dusty window was one) where it seemed there were a few distinct zones where it didn't have focus but would produce contrast highlights on the LCD. Really I've found it more useful as kind of a backup confirmation as to where focus "isn't" in a scene - magnify will tell you easily where it is at a point in the scene, whereas FP tells you where the dropoff into OOF is.

8. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Peaking on my GX7 is nearly flawless. I really like it, you can custom set it to your needs. And on the GH4 I think it's even more accurate. Your mileage may vary.

9. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    The GM1 and G6 both have focus peaking. This will be a very useful post for those searching, good idea starting it!

+1 on comments on GX7 peaking, it's great, with the physical AF/MF switch the whole thing just gets out of the way and lets you shoot, no messing with menus although I do find you need to change the sensitivity from High to Low for some circumstances.

10. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    My Panasonic DMC-G6 has got it....But the implementation on my Olympus PEN E-P5 is lightyears ahead of it....it works really really well on the e-p5, nice and quick and accurate, I've got the lever on the back switch between auto/manual modes making it nice to have a physical switch. And naturally on Olympus lenses that have the pull back ring it is automatic as well...I use it a lot with my SLR Magic 12mm, and with my old Nikon lenses...

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Just curious... my experience is that high and low refer to the contrast of the color shade and not to high or low sensitivity. Can anybody confirm?

12. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    I love the GX7's focus peaking!!

The clarity of the image however on both the screen and the EVF is about good enough to not need the peaking all the time. Certainly with longer lenses it can be quite easy.

Like wise the peaking can often be used solo such is it's accuracy.

I have the Fn 1 button set to turn on the centre magnification. My natural shooting position is finger on the shutter and thumb on the AE lock. This means that the joint of my thumb is always over the Fn1 button, making activating the Centre Focus Box very easy. And when you half press the shutter, the box disappears so you can confirm composition before taking the picture.

IT's Perfect for MF legacy glass. That is ultimately why I recently purchased this camera over the E-M10, it is just so good for MF.

13. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    It's sensitivity definitely, just double checked and "High" lights up a lot more of the scene.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

Focus peaking works very well on our Panasonic G6s. Edges in focus shimmer in a turquoise color that jumps out in the EVF display. Results are right on. The focus peaking process is very quick. An insect flying into the frame shimmers as soon as it comes into focus.

For our macro/closeup work, focus peaking is the single biggest improvement over using Nikon DSLR gear.

15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes, one of the big reasons I want my next camera to have it.
    Darn i wish Panasonic could ad it to previous models like my GH2 with a firmware update..lol.. but that's not likely .. Panasonic is not known for being that nice to their consumers.

16. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I'm surprised at the report of the Olympus P5 having very good focus peaking. I still thought that Olympus had the worst focus peaking implementation of all the mirrorless manufacturers. Maybe I was wrong :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Even if you are correct, and it does have the worst, that doesn't mean it's not any good..
    Its a comparative statement.
    It's like saying, the 1996 Dom was the worst tasting Champagne of all the Champagne bottles costing $100 or more, that I have tasted.
    Its still some dame good Champagne.

• Like Like x 4
  18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Your appreciation of focus peaking is MUCH greater than mine...
    :wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, you try not using any AF lenses on a Pana Body without any FP for a few years; then you tell me if you rather have an oly camera with FP or another camera body without it, for use with all your Manual focus lenses :smile: I think you would appreciate having any camera with FP that works.

20. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    could "key-line" on e-pl5 be considered a focus peaking? :p