1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Whew

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Jul 20, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    No more trips to the post office. I just did a complete switch of my gear. I went from 4 bodies and half a dozen native and a dozen adapted lenses to a GX1, P14, PL25 and PL45. I have for adapted lenses I use on my NEX and

...I FEEL GREAT.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rE0EakhG8]Nutrigrain Ad - YouTube[/ame]

...and I am DONE with changes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    ...for the next fifteen minutes. :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    :rofl: :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Okay I deserve that. :eek:

FWIW I did the math and after all the horse trading, shipping and PP fees I managed to end up $500 in the black. Rather than let it sit in PP and tempt me I decided to put into the Panama trip fund.

5. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    dix... Do you have the EVF for the GX1? Is it a goodie? I can't imagine that you don't.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The cool thing is, if my math is correct, that by the end of 2012 every active mu-43 member who buys any used kit will own a lens, camera or some accesory that you once owned. You are like the Grandfather of Used :43: Gear.

All kidding aside, sounds like the Panny set up to back up NEX is making a ton of sense to you. Enjoy it before the itch comes back....:eek:

7. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    dix... Now you've got me thinking of picking up a NEX for using my Zeiss Planars: 85/1.4 and 50/1.4. I haven't paid much attention to the NEX, really. Do you think the NEX would handle the Planar 85/1.4 well?

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    LOL...yes I am patient zero of mu-43 :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I feel your lack of pain :biggrin:.

Today the check came in from B&H for the final bit of my old Nikon gear.

I am now committed to :43: and have all of the kit I'll ever need (pause to allow the laughter from the crowd to die down...).

The only issue I have left is the Wasabi charger that replaced the Wasabi charger has the same fault - the 'green' light indicating 'charge' is on all of the time. Seems to charge the batteries O.K., so I plan to completely discharge one of the Wasabi batteries this weekend and see if the charger indicates 'charging' as it should. Hard to believe that I could receive two defective units in a row.

I've now the OM-D body, the E-PL1 body, five :43: lenses and the Nikon 'nifty fifty' with adapter, and the FL-300 flash, and the rarely used D300 and associated lenses and flashes are at B&H. No cash out of pocket, the trade in covered the new gear with cash left over :thumbup:.

And like you, I feel great.

Oh, and I need to pickup a new Domke bag to fit the Olympus gear.

And I hear good things about that 2.8 12-35 lens... :rofl:

Regards,

Jim

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Uh-oh... :biggrin:

Don, the LVF2 works very well on the GX1 - my take is it's at least as good as the G3's built-in EVF, and I don't feel it lacking going from one to the other.

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Jay... I haven't seen a GX1 in person, but I would sure like to. On the other hand, I reaaaaally don't need another body. :eek: I need to shed a couple of mine at least. I've preordered a silver G5 for myself and one for the lady. Will be selling my very idle GF1 and giving my G3 to a good friend of mine who need to be forced into m4/3... Giving him one is the only way for me to do that! I ordered a Canon FD 50/1.4 and Fotodiox adapter to go along with the 14-42 kit so he can discover first hand what a nifty fifty on a G3 can do.

As for getting a NEX to use my Planars on... With further thought, I really don't need to do that... And I don't need another format. It would be specifically for portrait use with the 85/1.4 and for me, manual focus with paper thin DOF just isn't fast nor accurate enough for use with live subjects. (OR... Would it be with the NEX body???) The Oly 75/1.8 will handle the portrait task well enough and have AF and keep me from adding another format.

Sorry, dix, for the topic migration... but your comments triggered these thoughts about my own gear.

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahah Kevin , I think you should apply for a part time job at post office as you spend more time there than their casual staff ..lol
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

About the only MF lens I still want for the NEX is the Konica 85/1.8 so yes I think the Planar 85/1.4 would be spectacular. Size wise it's pretty compact. My Konica 24/2.8 and 50/1.4 are not particularly compact and work great. I find that I use the lens a lot more as a grip on the NEX than on m43 but they sit pretty comfortably in the hand. In use focus peaking would make it a breeze. FL wise the 85 is going to be about 128/1.4...sounds pretty great to me.

Hyubie just did the same thing. He was posting over on a thread I started at SC. It's really different from m43 and the NEX has more than its share of quirks but it's also REALLY addictive (especially the IQ). Oh yeah, and the shutter sounds just like my old Konica T2.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Maybe that should be the Godfather of :43:. :biggrin: Make us an offer we can't refuse! Actually, I still have one of those cameras. I think it was Kevin's first E-P1. (or was it the second . . . or the third . . . or . . .) :wink:

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Seriously, I know more about shipping than most of them do by now. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Don,

No prob...BTW, the GX1 is nice. It's pretty much a modern GF1. Feels REAAAALLLY good in the hand. I see your point about the NEX. If you get a chance to play with one though you should. I'd never recommend it as an only system but as a platform for manual focus lenses...it's cool. I think of it as a nice compliment to my m43 gear.

I'm Kevin BTW.

17. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Kevin.... Duh, I knew that once... and since forgot! Sorry. :redface:

I have never experienced focus peaking, so I have no clue what it looks like... I take it it makes seeing when focus is sharp much easier? What's the best NEX model for FP and IQ? Before I sell my Planars I guess I should see if it does make focusing manually quicker and easier than before.

18. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hey, a little bird told me it heard my name somewhere hereabouts :biggrin:

But yes, for some reason the idea hopped from Kevin to me :smile: Didn't read his post until I decided, but I'm happy with the decision. I also got the first impression of Nex being ugly (I liked DigitalRev's description of it being a camera having a massive er#ction), but I got past that quickly. Love my :43:, but there's always room in my bag for another one. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Don - I had the same question a while back, this video helped:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPQroziHz-M]Sony Nex 5 Focus Peaking Indicator - YouTube[/ame]

This one from Steve Huff looks like a good example too:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHDEOLREGk]Quick Sony NEX-7 Focus Peaking Example and Demo - YouTube[/ame]

20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Jay... You beat me to a Google search.... what superb technology. Should be on all m4/3 bodies... here's hoping for the GH3?

Thanks for providing those!