1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where's the BLN-1 battery for the E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Has anyone received spare batteries yet? I'm constantly charging mine everyday, though I'd prefer rotating my batteries out. Does anyone have any idea when they will be available? Strange that Olympus releases the camera with no spare batteries!

2. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    To make things even more annoying, the battery grip doesn't come with a battery. So, I can't use the battery grip as a BATTERY grip. :)

If anyone has found any place carrying a battery let us know!

Thanks!

3. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I don't believe I've ever bought a battery grip that included a battery. Or maybe that's a Nikon thing…

• Like Like x 1
  4. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    At least you can buy a battery for your Nikon grip :) The problem I have is that I can't even use the battery grip as a battery grip because there are no spare batteries :)

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I pre-ordered these from olympus on april 6th and have not received any indication that I'm getting it anytime soon. Not that I have an E-M5 yet either, heh.

6. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    You can have the lone battery installed in the grip. This is how I have been using it. I'm glad, because I always have the battery grip on, and it would be a pain to have to remove it every time just to charge the battery.

I too am on a waiting list to get a spare battery. I think it is possible that the hold up on shipping for the EM-5 is not a manufacturing backup of the cameras, but a delay in getting these batteries made quickly enough.

7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
  8. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    • Like Like x 1
  9. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Oh, I know; I have a spare battery on preorder. I want to try to use the E-M5 without the grip because
    1) My reason for getting the Oly was wanting a small camera
    2) I'm tired of paying hundreds of dollars for battery grips :biggrin:

It's a moot point for me anyway, since my order status hasn't changed for a month!

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I have another BLN-1 pre-ordered at two different places. Same thing happened when the E5 was released. I think it took 5 months to get a spare battery then. I hope the wait is not as long this time. Does anyone know why the battery, which is surerly manufactured under subcontract, is not readily available this time? Just curious.

11. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Maybe some cheap Chinese knockoff will come out. I've heard they can throw up a factory in a day, and tool it in another.

I sweat through a gallery shoot Tuesday night with only one battery -- because I couldn't keep myself from playing with the new toy during the day and didn't know how much juice was left. Enough, it turned out, just about enough.

14. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    I have a bln-1 that I scoffed on Craigslist the same time the camera was released. It is a used demo (I knew right away to get as many batteries as possible!) and I also have 2 pre-ordered the same day I pre-ordered my camera. At least I'll be one up when the EM5 comes in. For now though I can't charge the darn thing so I hope it lives until 2019 when my EM5 comes in!

Cheers
    Ed

15. olydebut

olydebut Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    Got my OM-D from olympus direct, but no spare battery nor the grip. I guess there is some shortage. Big demand I guess . I can wait though. Anywho, thinkin' about getting a leather skin like the Gariz since I dont have my grip yet.

16. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Rick_B

Rick_B Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    West Haven, CT USA
    Rick Baumhauer
  18. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    At least with the E5 there were options with the older E1 to 3 batteries, there are sadly no options for the BLN-1.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The good thing is the E-M5 battery last quite a longtime. Though it would be nice if they'd get the spares out soon!

20. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    No battery from Oly store

I received my camera, but no spare battery from Olympus yet. My pre-order was on March 8th.