Where to take my 4/3 system next

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Rider, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I took a leap of faith and got a E-PL1 without knowing a whole lot about it. I wanted to take a break from my Nikon DSLR for a while, and thought it would be fun to try my Nikon lenses on another, compact platform. I've found the E-PL1 to be a very capable camera, not perfect but really fun, easy to carry and able to prodcue outstanding images under the right conditions. I could probably shoot exclusively with it for a few more months.

But eventually, I will want to have faster AF, better low-light performance, and outstanding video (and audio) capabilities.

So the question is whether I build-out the m4/3 system some more (mostly lenses, but also lens adapters, off-camera Olympus flash, external mic input and EVF) with an eye towards adding a GH2 in the future. Or just sit tight and enjoy the E-PL1 14-42 combination (maybe with a 20/1.7 thrown in) and not try to resist the inevitable pull of a Nikon D7000 or (gasp) D800.

2. Chuckr53

Chuckr53 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2010
    Estero, FL
    Resistance is futile.:eek:

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Rider,
    Take the camera out and make images..... that's where you'll find the answers you seek...
    shooter

4. Chuckr53

Chuckr53 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2010
    Estero, FL
    Camera Choice

Get the camera/lenses that you really want and can afford. If you do otherwise you'll just be settling, and ultimately dissatisfied with your purchase.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Where to take it next?

Take it outside and take some photos. Take it out and push it until it breaks. Be that person that other folks look at and say..."how the heck did you manage to get it to do that?"

We've all know someone in our lives that could do the most amazing stuff with gear that everyone else thought was a joke. For me it was this guy I knew that drove this funky old dodge dart that looked like it was one step from the junkyard. It was a collection of parts scrounged from everywhere but d*mn that guy could drive that thing like nobody's business. Turns out he had run moonshine for years back east. Didn't matter what kind of car you had he could drive a car in ways I thought were impossible. I always wanted to be that kind of guy when it came to photography. I'm as much a gear head as anyone (I like toys) but I'd rather be the guy with the duct taped POS camera that turns out stuff that people are amazed by.

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
  6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    d800 will be nice. But I have found the the m4/3 has a place in my camera lineup. So I built it out a bit. I will be getting the new canon 5dmkIII when it comes out. But I do not see myself giving up such a useful compact system. The 2 can co exist.

I have the epl-1 with the 13-42, panny 45-200, 20mm 1.7 and a oly 35mm 3.5 macro. This setup is my travel kit. Dragging a DSLR with a bunch was a bit much at times for short trips.

7. My Nikon D300s gathers dust since getting my E-P2 and 20mm 1.7 Panasonic lens. Life is good again. As an aside the E-P2 pairs very nicelly with the GPS4Cam App. There is a learning curve. Also an older Eye-Fi card PLAYS nicely with the E-P2.

8. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    As stated there is room for both. I shoot Nikon (D700,D90) along with G1, EPL1. There are times I don't want to lug the Nikon gear around, but if I want some portraits I'll choose the D700 every time as I enjoy shallow DOF portraits.
    Another time I'll pick up my EPL1 with 20/1.7 and laugh as I slip it into my pocket