1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where to send 12-32 for repair?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by brettmaxwell, Dec 30, 2014.

1. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    My little 12-32 pancake zoom suffered some drop damage, and from what I'm seeing (https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=50623) Panasonic's service/repair doesn't have the best reputation. Where should I send it? The optics seem to be totally fine, but the zoom ring is dislodged from the body, so it spins freely unless you really squeeze it to apply pressure.

2. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
  3. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    Interesting. I actually don't know that it was dropped, or how hard. Last week I was at my parents' for Christmas and my mom found it on the ground in its padded neoprene case I use.

Did you get it fixed?

4. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    I bought it as a kit with a gm1 and the shop just gave me a replacement lens. So far the new one is still holding together. Knock wood.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I had the same thing happen to mine. I put a few very small drops of super glue on the lens body and slid the zoom ring back into place. Works fine.

Probably to keep the diameter of the lens as small as possible, there is no form of mechanical interlock between the lens body and zoom ring to transfer torque. The torque goes through a glue joint which doesn't work very well.

6. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    FYI, I bought another of this lens because I really like it, but even without any drops the shell has become loose on the new one as well. I'm in a quite warm and humid environment, and perhaps that plays a role, but it's only been about 2 months of very light use (I mostly use my primes).

Very disappointed in the build quality of this otherwise excellent lens.