Where to put your thumb...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 11, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am having a heck of a time handling my E-P3. I find that I am constantly changing the aperture (without meaning to) with my thumb. I also thought I could reverse the dials so the upper wheel is exposure compensation but then I am changing that all the time because you can't lock out that dial like you can the lower wheel. Perhaps if I switched to the larger grip or used a different wrist strap (although I love my Gordy strap). I'm looking through the controls to see how I can change the setup but I'm open to any suggestions.

:confused:

2. Maybe you could get some of that thin adhesive foam and put a few strips around the thumbwheel so that it becomes partly recessed.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    LOL I actually thought of that...:rofl: Too bad they don't make those EP thumb rests for Olympus like they do for the M8 and M9 (you'd thnik with the name they would).

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    They are available, check eBay for "fuji thumb Olympus" $45 shipped
    Black or silver, I've seen one on an E-P2, looked great. Downside is no hotshoe access, but it may solve your issue. I think the large grip would help, it made a real difference in handling for myself.

5. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

I put my thumb on the silver bit where it says OLYMPUS PEN, right above the speaker hole.

never had settings get changed on me

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I put my thumb ON the speaker holes, and like Grant haven't had any issues really with the wheel turning on me.

Then again I have small fingers. :smile:

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got the same problem and still haven't found a solution I'm happy with, though putting your thumb directly on the thumb wheel can work also since it puts pressure directly on the wheel without any sideways movement to turn it.

I also thought of looking for a thumb rest device but I use my VF2 too much for that to be an option, especially since the VF2 basically lives in my hot shoe.

One of the things seriously tempting me about the E-M5 is the thumb rest.

8. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    On my E-P2 I put my thumb over the speaker and it worked pretty good. I then got one of the thumbs-up knockoffs from ebay and that worked quite a bit better. Lastly, I got a finger loop (just a loop of leather) that goes under the strap lug on the right side and put my index finger through that. That worked awesome.

Then I sold my E-P2 and all of it is sitting in a drawer. :rofl:

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Because of the shape and size of my and putting my thumb on the speaker holes isn't particularly comfortable and feels a bit wobbly. I thought about one of those eBay thumbs up knock offs but it seems like it would sit pretty far in. I'm spoiled by my G2 as it has a lovely grip AND thumb rest (and better placement of controls).

Oh well...

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This just means you need to get an E-M5 with it's dedicated DixeykThumb(tm) knob. :wink:

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    There we go...now, THAT'S what I call constructive. :eek: