1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where to get UK servicing?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Farcanalman, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    I live in the U.K. and would like to get a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 serviced and cleaned.

Well cleaned mainly, the working status of this lens is great... But I can see a hair(how the heck?) and just one mould spot on the inside, very naughty of the seller either not having seen them or declared them!

Anyone know who/where I can get good cleaning at a reasonable price in Britain?

Anyone in Britain had this service that could suggest a guide price?

And finally; with the correct tools and a careful approach, can this be attempted by oneself?

:frown:

2. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    I have not had to use a lens cleaning service yet, but the latest edition on 'Digital Photography' magazine (has lots of orangey colours on the cover) has an article towards the back of the magazine on second hand lens & cameras and within that article provides details of at least one company (in the UK) who service and repair camera's & lens. I can have a look for the details this evening, if you do not get help before then.

• Like Like x 1
  3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Dealing with the last question first, unless you have the necessary competence and tools, there is a risk of doing more harm than good. It's probably best to practice on an old junk lens first.

As for somewhere to get it done, it is best to find a repairer with experience of older equipment and the techniques needed to repair it. I would recommend Newton Ellis of Liverpool who have been in business as long as I can remember (I'm 57) and have a reputation for being both highly competent and reasonably priced.

Ask for a CLA (clean, lubricate, adjust) and expect to pay around £40-£45 plus return postage.

Camera Repairs, Lens Repair - Newton Ellis & Co.

The Tamron 90mm f/2.5 suffers from its lubricants drying out (I know the feeling!) and should come back rejuvenated with smooth and easy focusing.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    The company I was referring to above is Colchester Camera Repair. There is no telephone number listed, but I guess you could get it from Directory Enquiries if you decide to contact them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    I would have recommended Colchester Camera Repair if not for the high prices I have paid them in the past. I've been 100% happy with the work they have done, but it did not come cheap.

• Like Like x 1