Where to get framed prints using 4:3 aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Printing' started by alehel, Jul 22, 2011.

1. alehel

alehel New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2011
    I'm having a hard time finding out where I can purchase framed prints of my pictures in the 4:3 aspect ratio. When I take a picture, I think about the framing and the majority of my images will look terrible if I crop them down to 3:2. Can anyone recommend a place that ships in Europe which I can order ready framed prints from?
  2. Why not pick up a matte cutter and cut your own mattes? It's not difficult and framing shops tend to be very costly. With your own mattes, cut to standard outer frame dimensions, you could pick up any frame you want.

I've had good luck with Pictureframes.com – Picture frames, ready made picture frames, custom picture frames, custom canvas printing, wood picture frames, metal picture frames, discount picture frames for low cost metalic frames and they will make any size you want. They have a zillion styles. I'm not sure if they ship to Europe.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Other than 4x6 most standard print sizes are very close to 4x3 ratio.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    At Adorama, you can order prints and choose to keep or lose the aspect ratio. If you keep the aspect ratio, then the print has curtains or letterboxing. You just cut off the excess, unprinted area, and voila. I'm sure other printing companies might support the same thing.

The issue after that, of course, is framing.

It's, of course, much easier if you just manage the crop to a 5X7, 8X10 or 11X14 aspect ration. It is funny how, in digital cameras, they haven't offered in-camera/in-viewfinder crops of common print sizes. Maybe because most viewing is done on computers (hence the 16:9 aspect ratio commonly available in-camera), but how much harder would it be to support true 5X7 and 8X10 (3:2 is the same as 4X6, so no need there)
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm sorry to be blunt... but this makes no sense whatsoever. 3:2 aspect is the furthest thing from common picture frame sizes there is. Many picture frames are a 5:4 ratio like Large Format film but 4:3 aspect like Medium Format film and Four-Thirds digital, is usually close enough to use the same sizes with very minor cropping.

Why would you want to crop a 4:3 photo to 3:2 to fit picture frames? As Fred Long says, 4x6" is the only common print size made for 3:2. Everything else is very close to 4:3. Well, I would add that there are poster sizes which fit 3:2 well (ie, movie poster size), but that's irrelevant to framed prints.

Some common frame sizes would include: 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20. 5x7 is the closest to 4:3, whereas the other 3 sizes are closer to 5:4 (large format). 8x10 and 16x20 are exactly 5:4 aspect. 4:3 can easily be cropped to that, but a 3:2 image would lose most of the image cropping to those frame sizes!

35mm film which uses the 3:2 aspect, was originally a "double-frame" format made by putting two 35mm movie frames together. That's why it's extra-wide, and not standard to print sizes. The original Pen was a single-frame system which used that original 35mm frame length.

If you're used to framing 3:2 aspect photos, then I assume you must be using 4x6" prints? If so, then I highly suggest you try upping your print size to 5x7" from your 4:3 images. I think you'll like that size a lot better. ;) Just beware of your two short edges, that they will have minor trimming.
  6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Have you thought about setting the aspect ratio of the camera to 3:2 before taking pictures? I know that option is available for Panasonic models and I would guess that Olympus does as well. If you're really committed to 4x6 prints going forward, that may be the simplest solution.

Another trick is to frame your image, then zoom out some to give room for cropping. Technically, that's doable, especially if you're using a zoom lens. However, aesthetically your image may work better with some custom aspect ratio - which brings you back to cutting your own mats...