1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where to get cheap lenses in Seoul?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lenshoarder, Apr 10, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    In one of the threads, someone mentioned there was a cheap place to get lenses in Seoul. I can't find that thread again. I thought it was in the 14mm lens thread from Ebay but I didn't see it there. I'll be flying in to get Korean BBQ for lunch and will have some a couple of hours. It would be cool to pick up some cheap lenses.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Cheap compared to where? When I was in Korea a little over a year ago, lenses were a better deal than bodies, but about the same, in some cases more, than in the US.

3. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree. The US is the bargain basement for cameras/electronics. But I could have sworn that in the 14mm ebay lens thread, that someone said that the prices were similar at blah blah blah in Seoul. Since that ebay price is $165, that would be pretty cheap even compared to the US.

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Namdaemun. Light blue line on metro, hoeyeon (?) station next to myeongdong i believe. Got my 14mm for 150 cad. Could have bargained but meh...

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What? You'll be flying into Seoul to get some Korean BBQ for lunch? That must be some damn good BBQ!! :biggrin:

6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010

Strange. My response didn't seem to post. Anyways, is it easy to find the stores after I get off the metro?

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Namdaemun is a big place.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The camera stores are generally clustered near the front. There are some giant Nikon and Olympus signs right on the street across from the metro IIRC

9. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Also you can check out across from the big olympus store.... I believe its out from exit 2... Actually the way to find the underground place is kind of complicated. There is a underground complex from the street restaurants. But other than that you can also just browse the stores facing the big street where the olympus store is at.

You can also try chungmuro. I will post a link for you after my work if you need it. Chungmuro has a lot of vintage film cameras though.

10. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Dude, I would totally appreciate a link to Chungmuro. Vintage film means MF lenses.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Tons of places in Yongsan too, but nothing stuck out as good prices

12. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Ug... I dont have the link handy, but if you do a quick search for "mijonju, korea, chungmuro" on youtube you will find his directions which i used to find the place. However the average price is not that good though... A little bit overpriced but they always been quick to lower prices when i haggle.

Also, as TC said yongsan has a electronic complex but thats like a "mainstream" place where you wont find much good sale prices. Namdaemun has that kind of bazaar atmosphere (where theres always a hint of something illegal happening behind the scenes).. But i love that!

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    x2 - whether you buy camera gear or not, Namdaemun is a "must see", especially if you can go during the day when they are working on repairing the gate. They are using the ancient techniques, forging all the items by hand - its quite a flash back in time!

My Korea pix are here
    http://troyandmollyalloverthemap.shutterfly.com/795
    http://troyandmollyalloverthemap.shutterfly.com/691

• Like Like x 1
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Beware of the salespeople. I bought an American made pair of shoes in Namdaemun at a considerably higher price because the salesperson sold me on the better quality. I think I'm the only person to ever buy a pair of American made shoes in Korea.

G

15. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I got back from Namdaemun about an hour ago. I found all the camera stores. Prices are not cheap. I found one store that had a stack of opened 14-42mm X lenses on display. I thought they would be cheap like the ex kit 14mm lenses on ebay. Nope. He wanted 420,000 won, about $400.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Probably the same salesperson that sold me the American made shoes.

G

17. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    If you ever decide to come down to busan i can tell you about some local places for vintage stuff. Its definitely much harder to find gems down here compared to seoul.