Where to get a GF2 DMWBLD10 Battery?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by roverT, Jan 16, 2012.

1. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'd like to get an OEM battery since I heard that Panasonic puts the chip inside it to talk with the camera? I found some OEM Panasonic batteries that come from China but it'll take too long for them to ship here before I leave out of the country but the price is great!!

So now I am thinking what if I got a decent quality third party GF2 battery? I just need it to make sure that I can still take pics while my OEM battery is charging up. I could care less about the battery life gauge as I know the OEM battery will be charged before I run out of third party battery. What brands of third party have you guys had success with and where can I get it within 2-3 days in the USA?

2. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Can't help you with local sources (I'm in Australia) but I've had a couple of aftermarket ones for my GF2, one off ebay, one from a australian online store (I got that one because of quick shipping b4 travel). Both were identical, I'd say most aftermarket ones probably come from the one factory in china.

They both worked great, got lots of photos from them. No batt meter as expected so you can be taking photos and the camera is suddenly off with no warning, but other than that no probs whatsoever.

Mine look exactly like this:
    Replacement Battery for Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 | eBay
    (random seller, not the one I used).

Andrew

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I heart Amazon. 2 day guaranteed delivery if you have prime or are willing to pay shipping.

4. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I found a great place local to me! They also offer lifetime warranty for one battery replacement should the battery fail which it will with time! They are also advertising that their battery can be charged over 1,000 times and to be safely assured that high quality parts were used to make this battery including digital overcharge prevention circuitry. They are also on eBay too. Their website is http://www.certifiedbattery.com/

5. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    I've just got a 3rd party battery from eBay (item # 370546621084). It came from the USA with a travel charger, that it works off AC or a 12V auto lead, and it shows a full charge on the LCD battery indicator. I've yet to run this battery down so don't know if it will indicate the remaining charge in the usual way. In the light of the comments in this thread about the battery life gauge not working for non-OEM batteries; can I expect some unusual behaviour, please? Or am I missing something ... ?

6. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    That's quite different to the aftermarket ones I've got, I don't have a battery indicator at all, there's nothing at all on the screen where the battery meter normally is.

The description for the battery does call it a non-decoded battery which normally stands for one that the battery meter doesn't work on.

My ones all work fine on the original panasonic charger too, I don't need a separate charger like the ebay description says for yours - have you tried the battery on the panasonic charger?

7. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Michigan
    Kevin
    I bought 2 from them recently for my GF3 from their eBay store - so inexpensive it seemed silly not to get a couple. Work great, battery gauge works too.

8. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My battery gauge doesn't. There must be some special circuitry that Panasonic put int he GF2 to make it that much more complicated and costly to make.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    No more costly to make, just more complicated. Panasonic locked down their batteries years ago to discourage people from buying 3rd party batteries. Think of it as copy protection for batteries. It takes people a bit of time to reverse engineer it. Personally, I think it's pathetic when companies do things like this.

10. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    I haven't tried it as yet ... I've just put the fully charged battery into my G3. Once it's run down a bit then I'll give it a go in the standard charger (unless someone wants to warn me about doing that).

In the meantime, I've found another version on eBay (item # 120830366414) that claims to be fully compatible. And, I have another battery on its way from here (link).

I'll post again in this thead once I know how they perform.

11. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I have two that look identical. They work fine in my G3 with battery meter support and charge OK in my Panasonic charger. Sadly, I paid more than that for them. I always forget to check 7dayshop :frown:

12. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Well the answer is that they both charge OK in the standard charger; and they both show full charge on the meter until they go flat and stop working. So I may be looking for a chipped version (as on Amazon.co.uk).

13. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Mine display OK. The meter goes down as expected. 12 pounds. Here's the link.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

14. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    ... compare and contrast Amazon.co.uk ... £10.50 ish with shipping and "Integrated microchip prevents overcharging & lengthens battery life".

Are there any more out there ... ?

15. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    That ebay.co.uk one looks interesting, the battery basically looks exactly the same as my ones except mine doesn't have the 1010mah text on it, everything else is the same, same font, same logos. Perhaps the same factory has figured out the rest of the chip, would be nice. One can only guess that if the meter chip works for g3 it'd be good for the gf2, they're supposed to be the same battery,

That amazon one doesn't specifically say the chip does battery meter - every aftermarket one has a chip that does overcharging, most just don't do meter as well.
    This one doesn't mention chip but it is much higher capacity apparently, that's tempting:
    Battery Pack for Panasonic DMW-BLD10 / DMW-BLD10E: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

fwiw I pulled apart one of my cheapy's to convert it into a wired power adapter and the battery in it was only 980mah, not the advertised 1010mah. Not a huger difference sure, but you can never definitely believe the stated specs.

16. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25