1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Where to dodge and burn?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by hazwing, Apr 21, 2013.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    How does one decide where to apply dodge and burn? I do find that generally it does add depth and character to an image, and I do like the effect.

However, some post processing videos seem to apply it almost randomly at times. I'm at bit of a loss at times deciding where to apply it and where not to apply it. I get worried at times that it becomes to noticeable.

I'm am referring to more of from a scenery/landscape point of view, rather than dodge and burn in portraits/people shots.

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    whoops, can this be moved to image processing sub forum, instead of post production?

3. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    A few years ago, I asked a similar question on a different forum. The answer I got basically stated to dodge (lighten) the areas of the image that are already lighter in tone (areas that you want to draw attention to), and burn (darken) areas of the image that are already a bit dark in tone. In essence, you're applying selective contrast in this way, which makes the image to "pop".

Of course, all of this should be done with a light touch as you (usually) don't want to blow out any highlights or completely lose detail in the shadows.

I hope this helps.

4. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    That's an interesting take on it, I tend to do just the opposite.

I can see the justification for doing what you said to add contrast/pop, but I tend to use it where the dynamic range in the image is wide and I want to either bring out some shadow detail in a local part of the image (say under some trees), or tone down some highlights in another part (say the sky).

After experimenting with global exposure first, if "fixing" the local parts above with global exposure, greatly affects the rest of the image, then I'll dodge and burn instead.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Done! :biggrin:

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They can be used either to correct too dark/too light or to enhance not dark enough/not light enough. A little goes a long way and remember if you go over the same spot twice it will be doubled. I tend to not use them much and generally only use one or the other, not both in the same image. If using PS you can also use the shadow/highlight adjustment sliders.

8. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran