Where to develop 120 film?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RichardB, Oct 5, 2014.

1. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I discovered that my scanner has negative holders for both 35mm and 120 film, so I'm tempted to get a cheap MF camera. But development of 120 film seems hard to find, so I assume I'll need to mail it away. I do not want to try to develop film myself, and I plan to shoot color negatives for scanning without prints. Do you MF photographers have favorite labs?

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Depends on the country and city I expect.

I take mine into my local camera shop and they can develop/scan C41 film in a day and Slide/Black&White in a couple of days regardless of format.

3. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I should have mentioned that I'm in a Maryland suburb of Washington, DC. I didn't even think about camera stores because the ones in my immediate area have closed, but it might be worth a little drive if I can find one in the metro area.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm in Wellington, New Zealand so can't help you on that front.

I suspect there will be some local places and good postal options for you in the US.

Good luck ! Don't forget to post your pictures under the film thread.

5. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    So apparently all those hours I spent listing to analog photo podcasts was not to waste!

Ones that spring to mind that you might want to google that seem to have good reputations:

Richard Photo Lab richardphotolab.com
    Blue Moon Camera bluemooncamera.com
    North Coast Photo northcoastphoto.com
    The Darkroom.com
    Dwayne's Photo dwaynesphoto.com

And before you complain about having to send film away, just remember I used to send Kodachrome from New Zealand to Dwayne's in Kansas :)

Cheers,

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  6. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    I've used thedarkroom.com successfully many times. I suggest you expose a few rolls before sending them in. They charge a flat rate for shipping regardless of number of rolls, so you will save on shipping this way.

• Like Like x 1