1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where to buy - OM-D (EM-5) Body only? Olympus outlet store?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by victorhooi, Apr 5, 2013.

1. victorhooi

victorhooi New to Mu-43

Apr 5, 2013
    Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the OM-D (EM-5) camera as a early birthday present for a good friend.

I'm based in Australia, and the retail prices here are pretty astronomical.

Even US retailers - e.g. B&H Photo and Video have them for around $1000.

I had a hunt online at the user market (e.g. eBay) - and the prices there are also pretty high ($800-$900).

Then I saw that the Olympus outlet store has them for $759 (reconditioned) - apparently these have a 90 day warranty only though. Has anybody had much experience with the Olympus outlet store?

(Apparently around December 2012 they were $699 on the Olympus outlet store, but that may have been a pricing error?).

Are there any other sources that people could recommend for picking up a OM-D body please?

Cheers,
    Victor

2. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    After my experience of receiving a lemon first time around I'd be careful to ensure that any store you bought from had a reasonable returns policy. Do you pay duties and taxes if you import into Australia?

3. rocklogic

rocklogic addict

Mar 20, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mulyadi Robin
    Hey2. I bought mine with some negotiations at jb hifi for under $1100 with the 12-50 kit. Buying in Australia is expensive, but the way I see it, i get a warranty to go along.

I have gone down the grey market before, just beware that you may get slapped with a 10% + admin costs if seller didnt declare it as under aud$1000.

4. rocklogic

rocklogic addict

Mar 20, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mulyadi Robin
    And oh - you can probably get the body only for about $950ish in most places. If you look at the classifieds, livinius who is in Melbourne has an omd for sale at a good price. I bought the 17mm f1.8 off him and he is a solid guy to deal with !