Where to buy mu43 lenses in Europe?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramsey, May 15, 2013.

1. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    So i want to buy PL20/1.7. Croatian store has it at around 400€ ($520), and i'm not paying that much. No way.

Adorama and BH have it at $370 but the shipping is attrocious (over $70). That's without freight and customs.
    Ebay has it cheaper, but if you take away first couple (due to possible scams) it's still over $420.

So my question is, where do you (europeans) buy your lenses? Online or local shops? Not limited to panny lenses (but the olympus pricing here is rather competitive).

Thx everyone
  2. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I buy from East Asia, and occasionally the USA, via eBay - never had a problem and I've saved loads in doing so. The only downside is no warranty, but so far that hasn't been an issue for me.
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is about ~300 euro at Amazon.co.uk.
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The bigger issue with imports is taxes and duties, which generally means adding 25% to the bill, and a hassle and more money if you need to return the lens for any reason. I like the second-hand market for quite a bit of stuff, it's worth checking the classifieds here or putting up a want to buy. You should be able to get a 20/1.7 for around the 200-250 mark (bit less, bit more) I should think.

If your heart is set on a new lens, try a german webshop or a dutch one (Cameranu.nl has it for 309 euros excluding shipping, a price comparison site like Geizhals.de will give you several other options. Cameranu.nl is a very good store with a good service record and pricing here in The Nethelands).
  5. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013

For price comparison in Germany
  6. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    330€ from amazon.it :thumbup:
  7. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
  8. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    thx everyone.

I would like to get a second hand lens-the price difference between old and new is not that big, but the customs and freight is where they get you... I tried with the Buy and Sell section here but the fact is that most threads here are USA-centric.

will check the links and decide.

Thx again, and don't be shy do drop the name of your favorite online/local european store...
  9. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I got my 20/f1.7 from Wex Photographic - Digital Camera, Digital SLR Cameras, Lens, Canon, Nikon in Uk. The benefit is that there is no TAX when importing into Germany (Schengen TAX zone). I do not know about Croatia, though.

Another thought: In case you would save 100€ between buying locally vs. somewhere else in Europe, how about going on a city trip and having the lens delivered to the hotel? Flight/train ride + hotel probably exceeds the 100€ price difference, but you still get the city trip (and a very nice first spot to try out the lens) out of it.
  10. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Price differences in the Eurozone are sometimes extremely marked.
    Comparing prices really pays out!

I've just ordered an Olympus 75mm f1.8 for around 750Euro incl. TAX and shipment via amazon.fr
    Price in Germany (amazon.de) is 949 Euro incl. TAX and shipment...

Remember: there are no extra taxes or import duties inside the European Union
  11. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I was thinking about that, as i'm probably going to Austria and Netherlands in fall. Can't wait that long, GAS is getting to me ;)

Yeah, the markups are wild. Even with the EU, we're still a relatively small market. Nice deal on the 75.
  12. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Yes, and still available... (Not on stock, delivery takes 3-4 weeks...)
  13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ramsey, check out dslr-forum.de. I have done many deals buying and selling used on that forum, and have had nothing but good experiences. Don't be misled by the name, they have an m43 section. You are not allowed to sell until you have been registered for 90 days, but you can buy as soon as you have registered. In my experience, used prices for lenses in excellent condition, often with some guarantee time left, tend to be about 70-80% of new.

Otherwise, I second the recommendation for cameranu.nl, but I have also bought from Foto Konijnenberg (NL) and Foto Mundus (DE). I believe amazon.it has good prices on some equipment, and Italy is just round the corner :)

If your German is not so good, there are plenty of Croatians who speak excellent German!