Where is your wrist strap?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BAXTING, Jul 6, 2013.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    So I enjoy using my wrist strap as much as the next, and especially since I am prone to breaking things including bones. :eek:

I have always carried my camera in my right hand, with the wrist strap attached the to the right side of the camera which works very well with point and shoot. I shoot pretty often now with my PL25 and find myself holding onto the lens and being less worried about the body and then fumbling to get a shot. Also when only using my right hand I habitually shoot with one hand. Then it hit me, I will use the wrist strap on the left side of the body and hold the lens and when a shot reveals itself I will be forced to use both hands and then all my shots will be spectacular! I tried it and it was actually exciting as silly as it sounds. Just doing something different I guess was fun and thought it may be fun to see how others are shooting.

Choose more than one if you like :thumbup:
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    In the store. I never use a wrist strap.
  3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I always use a wrist strap, even indoors. Just after I got my E-PL2, I was shooting photos out the window and backed up slightly. I didn't realize the coffee table was so near. When it stopped my foot, I instinctively threw out my arms to regain balance. Without thinking about it, I opened both hands wide. The E-PL2 flew out of my hand and then dangled harmlessly from the wrist strap.

P.S. In my eagerness to promote the safety offered by a wrist strap, I just realized I didn't answer your question! I attach the wrist strap to the right lug and use my right hand. I always use both hands when I shoot. I may try left lug / left hand after seeing the comments here.
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm trying something new. On my backup EPL-1 I've removed the VF2 and added a Delkin screen shade, removed the strap and added a wrist strap from a Canon G9, and mounted a body cap 15mm lens.

The strap goes on the right side.

The entire rig fits easily into a jacket or dress slacks pocket (not quite so easily).

The body cap lens on the EPL-1 is not a match made in heaven, but it's fun to play with.

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I keep my wrist strap on my left hand, attached to the left lug, but more to have my right hand free for other things.

Lift up to my eye, right hand on the shutter button, shoot.

Works for me :)
  6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I use one on my GX1, keeping it in my right hand when walking around. The ergonomics of the camera are such that I can grip with my thumb and middle finger, using my index finger for the shutter.

I don't use one on my G5 though, I prefer a slight strap for that body style.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Are there no left handed m43 users? :tongue:

Not that use wrist straps I see..
  8. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I built myself an across-the-body sling based on an adjustable rifle sling design. That's what I use. I'm buying more material to be able to clip it off and clip on wrist strap.

I'm also building both kinds of straps for my wife, and a sling for prone shooting rifle competition.
  9. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    I'd love to see which kind of wrist straps you guys use.....still trying to find one for my OMD that is simple but solid.
  10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wut he said. Always felt they were more trouble than they are worth. Haven't dropped a camera yet :biggrin:
  11. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I lied ... sort of ...

I checked Left Handed / Right Side, but I don't really use a wrist strap. Instead, I use a short narrow neck strap (Nikon AN-4 series) attached conventionally. I very frequently loop this over my right wrist so that it works as a wrist strap. I find it the best of both worlds.

Attached Files:

12. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    A Gordy's wrist strap is the first thing I put on a camera (after a lens). It doesn't get in my way. It doesn't pinch up my neck. It simply gives me the freedom to use the camera as I wish.