Where is the Olympus 100mm macro?

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
I know all the coverage has been on new zooms for the OMD system but I have not heard a single hint about this "future" 100mm macro lens. Has anyone here seen or read anything about this?

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
That's the one other strongly rumoured lens, so it's likely the next in the pipeline, followed by at least one of the two telezooms that are on the roadmap (we do need the f4 telezoom to complete the f4 trinity). Right now it's the only other lens we have any real info on, but OMDS hasn't officially added any details to the roadmap.

If we're lucky, we'll get a little info or some basic specs tomorrow when the 8-25 gets dropped, much as we got the basic 8-25 info a while back.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
The CEO himself hinted the lens and also reassured OM Digital will stay true to the lens roadmap. So it is coming, we don't really know when though. Personally I actually expected to see the 100 Macro announced and released before the 8-25 Pro, but that obviously didn't happen. I'm pretty sure we'll see more products during the third and fourth quarters.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is the lens I love to make fun of because, while I hope it finally comes out, it has been Olympus's unicorn lens showing on various roadmaps for nearly two decades and never quite making it to market. In fact it almost seems like a couple of times it was predicted to be on the verge of coming out, instead a big change happens at Olympus (they dropped 4/3rds to go m43 only for example and the latest was the business sold off to OMDS) so the lens is almost a curse. :roflmao:

My other favorite thing is every time I half jokingly bring this up there is always someone who gets all bent out of shape about it and tries to admonish me for being so out of line. :dance2::rofl:

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
This is the lens I love to make fun of because, while I hope it finally comes out, it has been Olympus's unicorn lens showing on various roadmaps for nearly two decades and never quite making it to market. In fact it almost seems like a couple of times it was predicted to be on the verge of coming out, instead a big change happens at Olympus (they dropped 4/3rds to go m43 only for example and the latest was the business sold off to OMDS) so the lens is almost a curse. :roflmao:

My other favorite thing is every time I half jokingly bring this up there is always someone who gets all bent out of shape about it and tries to admonish me for being so out of line. :dance2::rofl:
You shouldn't be so superstitious! ;)

It is just the invisible hand at work

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You mean the one on the roadmap at the launch of the E-1 in 2003?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You mean the one on the roadmap at the launch of the E-1 in 2003?
Yes that is one of them. It was a bit more vague back then on what it would be other than a "Fast Telephoto Macro" and looked to be closer to something around 85-90mm on the chart, but subsequent road maps (2007) put it at 100mm where it has remained ever hopeful of being spotted out in the wild by someone in the general public. Alas, it remains a myth or perhaps more of a cruel inside joke. ;)

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think there was a rumour of F2.8, IS, and 2:1 equivalent magnification, but nothing concrete, maybe don't expect anything soon. The 8-25mm F4 Pro had a name to confirm focal length and aperture and look how long that took to finally appear. We don't even have any of that info yet for this macro lens. It's still just "Macro Lens" on the roadmap.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The 8-25mm F4 Pro had a name to confirm focal length and aperture and look how long that took to finally appear.
Ya WHEW! Almost an entire whole year after being specifically named. /s

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
I think in this day and age that "video-centric" gear gets pushed to the front of the gear far quicker than "photo-centric" stuff does. We'll just have to get used to it, I think, from both Panny and Oly viewpoints.
I don’t consider the 8-25 a video-centric lens at all. Oly has been working on a set of more mid-range PRO options to come in below the f2.8 trinity and the 8-25 is the second of these.

it’s useful for the video folks for sure, but even more so for the landscape photographer who now has a real 2-lens option for hiking that covers UWA to tele ranges with minimal gaps.

Oly’s targeting of their new lenses is very focused on the wilderness shooter and has been since the 12-100. It’s also the one area where they have a huge systemic advantage over other systems thanks to size & sealing

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I gave up waiting for this lens and bought into another dying mount to get a 100macro. Although a 200mm equivalent is still what I want.
Sorry but I don't understand this?

You want 200mm equivalent Macro lens, which this Olympus 100mm would give, but you bought a FF 100mm Macro lens, because your Olympus 60mm Macro with 120mm FF focal length is too long? And you still want a 200mm equivalent focal length Macro lens?

What problem did this solve for you?

Sorry but I don't understand this?

You want 200mm equivalent Macro lens, which this Olympus 100mm would give, but you bought a FF 100mm Macro lens, because your Olympus 60mm Macro with 120mm FF focal length is too long? And you still want a 200mm equivalent focal length Macro lens?

What problem did this solve for you?
I was being facetious.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well I am still waiting. It seems that there are few releases of Panasonic/Olympus products at the moment. Shops are open again (at the moment). The Olympics is due to go ahead this month. Rather than buy a P20mm, I shall just use my PL15mm. The Laowa 7.5mm is crossed off my list and I shall use my P7-14mm. 75mm prime, I am not paying £100 premium for a black Olympus model, so waiting for this fabled, long awaited O100mm.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nikon 200 Micro is available used.

m43 also lacks tilt/shift and defocus lenses and a fancy flash system...

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well I am still waiting. It seems that there are few releases of Panasonic/Olympus products at the moment. Shops are open again (at the moment). The Olympics is due to go ahead this month. Rather than buy a P20mm, I shall just use my PL15mm. The Laowa 7.5mm is crossed off my list and I shall use my P7-14mm. 75mm prime, I am not paying £100 premium for a black Olympus model, so waiting for this fabled, long awaited O100mm.

If you want a fast prime and you already have macro, then you are probably better off getting 75mm F1.8 instead of this 100mm, which will probably only be F2.8, and it will probably rely on "Sync IS" which is not compatible with your Panasonic bodies. And no doubt the price premium you will pay will be even higher for the 100mm.

I am looking forward to this 100mm macro as well, but I've been wondering if it could really be best macro lens for me. I already have trouble handholding the 12-100mm at 100mm, and this will be macro distance. Handholding a normal macro lens is probably difficult enough, let alone at telephoto focal length. And 100mm is also a much different perspective compared to 30mm and 60mm, right. The Super Macro mode of my C-7070WZ is 55mm EFL, so 200mm EFL for macro could be a big change, and I'm not sure I would like it.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I must declare that I am a member of Tripods Anonymous. Second declaration, is that I often mount the camera on a focussing rail. Yes I also focus manually and have been known to use Auto tubes and a Raynox DCR 250. Sometimes with lighting. I can now admit to using the Panasonic image app on my phone or tablet to preview, take and review shots.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have small tripods, medium sized ones. One that travels and a largish carbon one that stays at home. I have a separate one for my archery spotting scope, but only use this 3-4 days a week. Even indoors on accasion, which I am trying not to, far to dependent on it, even if I am improving my scores every week.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom