1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where is the m4/3 equivalent to Fuji's 18-55?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, May 10, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    My friend picked up an X-E1 kit a few weeks ago and let me play with it a bit last weekend. I don't really have strong feelings about the camera, but the 18-55/2.8-4.0 kit lens left a very favorable impression - compact, solid, very good sharpness and suprisingly nice bokeh. All that for a lens that cost $400 when bought in a kit.

The question is why doesn't m4/3 have anything similar?

Between Panasonic and Olympus it seems like they ought to be able to manage at least one zoom lens to use as a kit for the higher-end bodies that isn't either slow (f/5.6 on the long end), expensive ($1100), or both.

I realize that a fully equivalent 14-42/2.2-3.1 lens is probably out of the question, but something in the same neighborhood would be nice. Yes there is the adapted Olympus 14-54/2.8-3.5II, but at 2x the size of the Fuji, and without the ability to AF on anything moving faster than a yard snail, it's not exactly a compelling alternative.

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    IMO that needs to be Olympus's next step, namely m4/3 versions of their HG/SHG 4/3 lenses especially the "fast" zooms.

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i have exactly the same question! thanks for bringing it up :frown:

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    As much as I enjoy the high value primes that m4/3 offers the lack of this exact lens is what made me mostly walk away from the format. I've always thought that m4/3s hit a sweet spot between overall IQ, cost and size, but the lack of a moderately priced fast-ish standard zoom makes me wonder if that is a technical shortcoming somehow.

5. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Its a fair question, but if I were a Nex or X-System owner, I'd be asking where the heck are all those Oly-PanLeica-like primes!

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's fair enough, but I'd wager that you'd be in the minority! Zooms, even among advanced amateurs, seem to still be the order of the day.

7. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    The funny thing is, Olympus was mostly known for its phenomenal zooms more than its primes for 4/3. Now they seem to place the utmost priority on physical size, and primes are always going to be smaller, and also hence the SLOW zooms they have. They need to realize not everyone wants the smallest combo all the time, I'd gladly accept a fast, high IQ zoom that is a little "big".

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Doesn't even have to be big. The Fuji 18-55 is smaller than my 12-50. It's not a tiny lens, but it's certainly not large. It's not as if all the primes are tiny either - the only pancake they have is the not-so-well-regarded 17/2.8.

9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I suppose "the grass is always greener on the other side" but I agree, the Fuji zoom looks great and I'd love to know what Olympus has up their sleeve.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I guess that's the question though - do they have anything up their sleeve? Or is it all slow zooms and primes from here on out...

11. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    All the primes are small (except maybe the 75) when compared to there equivalents in other systems. Thats what Olympus seems to always want to emphasize, m4/3 lenses are significantly smaller than the equivalents. Which is easier to do with primes and slow zooms.

Really they already had kit zooms, so the 12-50mm should have been a better lens, at least a stop faster, and better IQ, more along the lines of the 14-54mm. Especially at the non-kit price Olympus was listing them for.

Bottom line I would gladly exchange some size to get a fast, OPTICALLY corrected zoom.

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I guess it's going to come down whether olympus is going to head to head with panasonic on the 'premium' zooms. I've had the P12-35 now for 2 weeks (borrowed) and I gotta say, I think it's a gem. I've been doing my own non-scientific pixel peeping tests and I have to say that i do not think it is optically poorer than the PL25 or the 23mm/f2 Fujinon from the x100s (tested equivalent exposures at 17mm and 25mm, corners, centre, sides etc)....BUT, I will hold off a little longer to see if anything competing comes from Olympus.

There can be no denying though, weather sealing aside...Fuji really looked after its customer with that superbly priced kit zoom of theirs.

13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I always thought of the Fuji as kind of a freak. Small, good, fast, and relatively cheap. I don't think there are too many if any OEM zooms that fit that description. Third party yes.

14. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    In my opinion the lack of a moderately fast, compact, high-IQ, reasonably priced mid-range zoom is the biggest hole in the MFT system. For me, the Fujinon 18-55 is the biggest draw of the Fuji X system (although ultimately not nearly enough to get me to trade in my EM5 and lens kit). The second biggest draw of the Fuji system is the 14mm f/2.8, another lens that has no MFT equivalent. I'm hopeful that Olympus will, as has been rumored, release a new mid-range zoom this Fall that will be comparable to the 18-55, but I'm not optimistic that we'll ever see an MFT ultrawide rectilinear prime.

MFT certainly has an advantage overall when it comes to availability of lenses, but the Fuji lens line-up (released and promised) has been extremely well thought out and would fully meet my needs.

15. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    I'm guessing "yes"

If you recall there were a couple of patents on the "rumors" site for fast(er) zooms. One was a 2.8 constant and the other was 2.8 - 4. Also, recall the 12-50 was actually released before the E-M5. If they were to release an E-M6, that would be the time - or a little before - to release a new higher grade zoom. While the Pany is nice, it's a bit short. A lot of folks want something that sneaks into the portrait range.

Full disclosure: my crystal ball was fetched from the bottom of Lake Erie, so take all of the above as a gigantic WAG:dance3:

16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Curveball - maybe a third party lens maker like Sigma or Tamron will release a fast zoom for m43 to come as a budget alternative to the P12-35.

17. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    better than nothing, for sure :thumbup:

18. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I really think Olympus will try to 1up Panasonic in zoom lenses' development. Let's not forget f/2 zooms in 4/3. If they bring them to m4/3, they would be the zooms that every working photographer save for.

f/2.8-4 zooms are also something that wouldn't be competing directly against Panasonic f/2.8s.

19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    My preference would be for a 12-40mm f2.8/4. That would have a decent wide end and just about cater for portrait requirements at the long end. With the variable aperture it should be smaller and cheaper than the Panny 12-35mm but still be a stop faster at the long end than other :43: kit zooms. A compromise in almost every way, sure, but nethertheless a well balanced and affordable compromise - just like that Fuji lens!

20. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I just want a m4/3s version of the 12-60 f2.8-4.0. That would make me veeerrrry happy. :smile: