where is the best place to sell a panasonic kit lens fast?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colbycheese, Feb 3, 2013.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i have a Panasonic 14-42 kit lens that is collecting dust. I just found out about the 99 dollar sigma lens deal. Should i sell it on craigslist or similar, or will a local camera store buy it? I am just looking for a fast way to get rid of it without paying to do it.
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Craigslist is probably your best bet, although you could try a local camera store. Kit lenses usually have less retail value/are less in demand than primes and faster zooms. You can try the buy/sell section here but it may not be any faster.
  3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ok, thanks
  4. funkright

funkright Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    eBay and Craigslist @ the Same time.. First to go gets it
  5. OM Dude

OM Dude Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Ku'u home o Honolulu
    I sold my kit zoom on Amazon and it sold pretty quick for a better price than eBay, but amazon payments take about a week after sale date.
  6. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    If possible I sell my old gear via Amazon. You just find the same item on their site and post it. Takes just a few minutes per item and if you have the lowest price most things sell very fast.
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I'm surprised nobody has pushed you towards the buy/sell forum here. It reaches a large market that is interested in what you are selling and it costs nothing. It's my first choice for selling M43 gear.

In my experience if you post at a fair price or at slightly below market your item will sell. If you reduce your price by the 15-20% or more that eBay or Amazon will cost you, your item will sell really fast.

I'm not too crazy about CraigsList. As a buyer, I have gotten some good deals but many sellers are very unrealistic about their pricing. As a seller, I think buyers for specialty items like M43 are too scarce in a single local market. You might get lucky, but you are hoping that one of just a handful of M43 buyers is looking for what you have.

Selling to a local store might be fast but it will also be expensive. A retailer probably cannot pay much more than 60% of the current market price. He needs that much to cover store overhead and the inevitable fraction of his used inventory that must eventually be deeply discounted to sell. Also, selling a used lens may cost him a sale of a new one, so the used lens must produce a worthwhile margin for him.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    Craigslist. Sold my g3 kit lens for $120 in socal.
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Buy and Sell here and Ebay.
  10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Keh and b&h both buy used lenses.