Where in the world am I supposed to get the 20mm 1.7?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by monkeymagic, Apr 19, 2012.

1. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    I heard great things about it but I can't seem to find it anywhere for less than 400 bucks. Is there anywhere I can get one? Used is fine too. Is there just a shortage of this lens these days?
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The P20 seems to go through shortages once or twice a year it seems. A testament to its popularity as one of the best lenses on the platform, even 2+ years since launch. Whereabouts in the world are you located/shopping?

If you don't want to pay the retail premium, your only option is really used. Even still, you're probably looking at $300-350 easily. I would only part with mine if I decided to pony up to a PL25 (possible), or leave the platform entirely (unlikely). That's a fairly common sentiment around these parts at least... :)
  3. skadoosh

skadoosh Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Adorama and BHphoto has (or had) it for about $359. They were in stock earlier this week, but it looks like it is sold out (again)
  4. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    It's kind of crazy right now.

I bought mine in January for $340 new, and the best price I can find on Amazon now for a new one is $529.

Seems really odd, such fluctuations in such short time.
  5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Supply and demand! When demand outstrips supply, prices go up. When supply outstrips demand, prices go down.

It's unlikely the manufacturing plant is set to just constantly churn out this one lens. More likely that they do lenses in batches. If that's the case, then supply will ebb and flow with production runs.
  6. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Since nobody wants to stock unsold inventory, multi tiered distribution chains tend to whipsaw.. the factory sees extremes of high demand and no demand.. this is a side effect of manufacturing and shipping taken months from the time they receive the "high demand" signal..
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I got mine from eBay, just a few weeks ago, under $400- for a used one, it was pristine.
  8. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I got mine from ebay as well, reputable seller and it came pretty quick, it is HARD TO FIND. Good luck.
  9. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Yeah, try and get a good bid on Ebay. If not, I saw someone was selling a GF1 w/ panny 20mm 1.7 for around $500. You can try and negotiate for just the lens, or buy it all and sell the body. Good luck! :smile:
  10. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I told a friend of mine to optimize the sale of his 20mm by squeezing in the GF-1 as an oversized len's cap.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    These type of posts keep making me want to sll my 20 and save up for the pl25! Aaaaaaaaah!!!

- Eliot
  13. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I was just on the B&H website, and right now it shows as in stock.
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Carmen Sandiego has two of them, if you can catch her. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  15. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    No problems in Europe as far as I can see. There is even 50GBP cashback in UK, but this only brings the lens to the normal US price.

I don't mind replacing wide availability with cheap prices :)
  16. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    Well Adorama and B&H are out of stock, and not willing to pay what the third-party sellers on amazon are charging. I guess I'll just keep an eye on B&H. Thanks everyone
  17. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    It's scarce new and everyone selling it used is doing a little price gouging. Too bad: I just sold mine on ebay for $300 in order to finance the PL25mm (which came in today!!!!). The 25 is scarce too and used prices are jacked up because of it.

Grab the one from EVS. That's where I got the 25mm, and I think they may be the only place in the country that has these things new -- and probably not for long.
  18. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Samys had it in stock last week for 340. you can pre order it from crutchfield for 350 and have it sent at that price rather than waiting for B&H to lower their prices.
  19. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    hahaha lolz
  20. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    just keep watching all the usual suspects (or sign up for email alerts) until one shows up for around USD$340-350 (maybe as low as 320!) then pounce! And fast! They tend to go back out of stock within 48hrs or so lately.
    The more patient you are, the more happy you'll be when it's finally yours.
    I just got mine in the UK for GBP£270 (before cashback) this week.:cool: