1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where in Canada is the best for film processing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by colbycheese, Jan 5, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I shoot film sometimes and was wondering where is the best place to take the film to be processed. I live in Canada, if that makes a difference. I had used Walmart once In the past but they didn't do a good job. The film was all scratched up when I got it back. :(

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Which city/town are you in ?

Even in lil old NZ I can get 35mm colour C-41 developed and scanned in a day at a local shop; medium-format, slide & black/white take a few days longer but I'm usually not in a huge hurry.

3. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    McBain Camera is my local option, but you didn't say where you were at so that may not be helpful. If you're in Alberta, they'll develop film and scan it to CD for you for $14.99 (for a 36 exposure roll) which is a good option these days.

4. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    London Drugs. Works for me.

5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Canada being such the small place that it is, it surely would not help to mention which city or even province you're in.

Btw, do you actually want 'best' or 'cheap' or 'good enough'. Best and Walmart doesn't usually go together.

There's lots of pro labs that process film, but you probably won't like the prices.

6. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Toronto area: Pikto

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    for the people asking what area: I live in southern Ontario. I'm trying to find a place where there is more than one location so I don't have to drive to Toronto which is a pain

8. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    yeah I figure it would be more expensive but if the quality is better than I don't mind. It would only be a few times a year anyways.

9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    If it's 35mm Costco will actually do a decent job with C-41. Any E-Series film will get shipped out.
    Same with Loblaws.
    Loblaws have Noritsu or Fuji on site and are pretty much the de-facto machines for automated C-41.

There's not much of a point sending C41 to a more expensive lab in 35mm unless you want them to do push/pull processing.

I used to have Costco and Loblaws bulk-develop all my film in batches with a scan and burn to CD/DVD. The disc serves as a kind of contact sheet and then I load them into my film scanner and work away.