Where, How Much To Buy Used Kit Lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by magkelly, Nov 12, 2012.

1. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    My Pen did not come with a digital kit lens. I can't really afford a lot by way of new lenses, $150 and up a lens is rather expensive for me right now. I plan on using mostly my regular lenses with adapters but I'd like to pick up a used kit lens at some point in the not too distant future so I have at least one lens with AF.

I've looked but can't find much on Ebay, or at most of the big camera stores that sell used gear, and I've checked the listings here and I don't really see much sans a camera either that's not a more expensive non kit lens. What's a used kit lens going for and where can I find one for this Pen? Is V2 more expensive than V1? Are they that scarce or am I just looking in the wrong places? I'm trying to budget for one but I don't know how much to budget or where to look really.

FYI, if trades are allowed I have several nice kits of regular 35mm lenses I am not using in various mounts. I could actually make a nice swap for one right now but buying one would probably take me another month unless I can get a used one for under say $35 maybe. I thought about putting a wanted ad up but I don't know if that's the best option or if I can offer a trade or not. Stupid newbie questions I guess but when it comes to this camera it's all new to me...

Info appreciated, thanks!
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Let me know what 35mm lenses you have, and I would be willing to make a swap with you for a brand new, never used m.Zuiko 14-42mm II R kit zoom that's sitting in the box right now.

You can send me a PM with what you have to offer, if you like. I have a few adapters, but am open to getting more if necessary.
  4. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    I have a plethora of good MF lenses in various mounts. Pentax (M42&K), Ricoh-Sears, Nikon, Yashica, and Minolta. I also have a fair bit in Chinon/Chinar and Vivitar though I'm very fond of the latter and loathe to sell any of my Viv's. About the only thing I won't sell or trade is those and my best set of Taks though I do have a couple of extra Tak 50's at the moment, I think...

I'll sit down tonight and make up a list of all my lenses I would trade, and I'll send it to anyone who wants a copy or post it here if that's allowed? Making a trade for MF lenses not a problem at all for me. I've got like 5 large kits of lenses, 3 I don't really use. I'm a Pentax-Viv shooter mostly. I don't have but one Canon FD lens, a standard 50, or any Olympus lenses to offer you unfortunately, but I've got a lot otherwise.
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I have an original Oly 14-42mm kit lens that cost me $60 including shipping. Bought on the B/S forum here after lurking for a while waiting for a good deal. Patience pays off.

The pixel-peepers malign this lens and there is a Mk. II lens now supplied by Oly. This has driven the price down to IMHO ridiculous levels. It is not the sharpest lens but it is entirely adequate for most shooting as long as you're not cropping heavily or printing poster size.

Its main virtue for me is that it is a collapsible lens and is by far the smallest of the 14-4xmm lenses. I can carry my 9-18mm on the camera and grab the same-size/very pocketable 14-42 if I need a bit more reach.
  6. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    So the MKII lens is not collapsible then? I don't think I've ever run into that, a collapsible lens actually. I've heard of people using old ones from certain vintage cameras but I can't say as I've seen a modern one.
  7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Seem to be at around $65 - $80 now on E-Bay for the MK I version.

Olympus M Zuiko 14 mm 42 mm F 3 5 5 6 Lens for Four Thirds 0050332170070 | eBay

Olympus Zuiko Digital 14 42mm F 3 5 5 6 Lens for Four Thirds 323 050332158191 | eBay

I've no complains about my Ver I lens - it's part of a small bag I keep stocked with an E-PL1, EV2 and the Olympus 40-150. Not the sharpest lens on the planet, but acceptable for snapshots. (YMMV).

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    No, all versions are collapsible. The MK II R is the most preferred version.

Here's a link to the review of the less desired (and less expensive) MK I

Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 ED review: Digital Photography Review

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, the Mark II version is collapsible. All the m.Zuiko 14-42mm lenses are of collapsible design, including the original metal mount 14-42mm, the plastic mounted version that came with the E-PL1, the first MSC version (14-42mm II), and the second MSC version (14-42mm II R). There are 4 versions in total, all collapsible. The MSC versions are the nicest, as they have a more solid barrel and faster Autofocus. Only the very first original version from the E-P1 and E-P2 however, had a metal mount. The MSC II R version is like the MSC II version but with nicer textured rings, and comes with faster firmware (but the older MSC versions can be updated to match).

I've had every version except the plastic-mounted non-MSC version which came with the E-PL1.

Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm kit lenses on the other hand, are not collapsible except for the Lumix X 14-42mm pancake zoom. That lens doesn't have any focus or zoom rings, only power-switches for both (ew).
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I don't know for sure as I've never owned one. Someone will jump in to say. But when I was shopping lenses I made a size comparison chart including the Panny and Oly lenses and the old 14-42mm Oly was the smallest by a noticeable amount. Sizewise it is virtually identical to the also-collapsing 9-18mm.

Edit: ROFL. They jumped in while I was typing!
  11. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    I have my entire updated kit list almost done except for one mystery tele-converter, some Cokin filters and a couple of Sears Ricoh lenses that my niece has at the moment. I was trying to remember them all but I can't remember the exact numbers on a couple. This took me all darned night, literally, laugh, but at least now I have an updated list of all the gear I own...

(Olympus Pen to be added very soon. Yay! It should be here Monday. I'm waiting on that and the adapters. They have shipped though. Can't wait. The suspense is just killing me. I do hope they get here on the same day. I'd hate to get the camera sans the adapters with no digital kit lens to fall back on. That would just be "Arrgh!!!")

If you don't see NFS or NFT next to something it likely could be had for the right incentive. I'm pretty motivated to get me a kit lens for my Pen. Nothing is set in stone, but likely if I ever sold my Taks or my Viv M42's I'd do it dead last, and never both. :p I'd have to keep one or the other. The Tak 105 is my pride and joy. Love that lens. If I had to pick one for a desert island, that is the one I'd take...

As you will see I have a lot of stuff. FYI, for those of you who don't haunt The Pentax Forum most Sears-Ricoh lenses are decent and cheap which is why I have a few of them. A lot of them are re-branded Tokina's and the like and they can be surprisingly good. I don't think I've ever had one that wasn't decent to very nice actually so I tend to look out for them. Same with Viv's. I've always liked certain zooms but lately I'm getting into their primes as well.

If someone wants my Minolta stuff or Canon lens likely I will send a camera body or two along as a bonus. I will have no use for them once the lenses are gone. Ditto the Nikon EM. I like my Yashica's though so likely they'll stay with me. The Pentax bodies I want to keep I've marked. Have a few I could spare though and most of them are in great shape too. Aperture ring issues I'll take a look at them this weekend. Likely I can fix them. I've done that before and it went fine and I'm not scared to go there. I just haven't gotten time to go there with a couple of new ones I have like that...

Oh, and though I am not positive that's what they are but I do think I have a couple of Miranda adapters of some sort in my kit. I have no Miranda gear so those I could add too. One of them says M to P on it but it's definitely not M42 or K mount for Pentax. I'm thinking Miranda to Practika but I am not sure because I don't have either kind of lens to judge. I'll have to take pics of them and let you see. Someone on here might know...

Anyway here's the rather long list. Trades or no trades, I thought you might like to see this. I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting it. I don't think so but if I am let me know. I could have sent it to the individuals asking but it made more sense just to post it. It's fun for the rest of you to see other people's gear lists, at least I like that when other people do it. I'm not really trying to sell things per se or I'd make a proper listing with prices et all. I just wanted to show off my gear a bit and maybe swap for a kit lens. The notes about NFS and that are more for me and for later use than for here really. I've had a few people asking me what I have though so I wanted them to see the possibilities. I didn't just come on here just to sell off my extra gear, I promise. I'm not that rude!!! But some things on here might be worth a kit lens to someone, I hope as it would save me a few $$$.

Vivitar M42 (Not for sale or trade!!!!)

35mm 1:2.8 Auto Wide Angle #3705707
    Auto 1.1.9 50MM (Japan) (On route...)
    100mm Auto-Tele 1:2.8
    200mm Auto-Tele 1.3.5 (On route....)
    300mm TX 5.6 (On route...)
    Vivitar Close Focus Zoom 1:3.8 75-150mm plus Vivitar 2X Custom Tele-Conv Model 2x1 (Love this lens!!!)
    Auto Telephoto-Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 75-260
    35-105mm Auto Tele Zoom (On route soon...)
    Vivitar 220 SL (On route...)

Takumar (M42) (Not for sale or trade, except for the one extra 55...)

Super-Takumar 1:2.8 105mm (VGC to Mint with original caps and case.)
    Auto-Takumar 1:1.8 55MM (X2) (Good/VGC but with non-original caps and no case...)
    SMC Takumar 1:1.4 50mm (VCG, but non-original caps, no case.)
    Takumar SMC 1:4.2 200mm (Fair to good condition, came with caps and case, but not perfect.)
    Takumar Bayonet 1.2.5 135mm (Cosmetically challenged, but shoots okay. Not for sale...)
    Pentax Spotmatic SP (Might trade this one....)
    Pentax Asahi SPII (Not for sale/trade....)
    Black Pentax Honeywell SPII (Not for sale/trade....)

Misc M42

Auto Capesco 2.8 135mm (Might be Tokina. Nice lens. It's a long closed NYC's store rebranded lens...)
    Cambron Wide-Tele 1:3.5 38-95mm (A Coke bottle bottom would shoot better.)
    Auto Super Lentar 1:2.8 (Fair to Ugly Conditon, cleaning marks, dust. Shoots okay, but...)
    Auto Rikenon 1:2.8 135mm
    Auto Chinon 1:1.4 55mm
    Accura Diamatic 1:2.8 28mm
    Auto Mamiya/Sekor 1:1.8 55MM
    Chinon-Sears GAF-CES-1 (Not for sale or trade...)
    Rikenon 135mm

Pentax K

5 Star 1:3.5-4.8 35-75 MC Auto Zoom
    Sears/Ricoh 28-70mm 1:3.5 Auto Zoom (Ricoh Pin Removed)
    Sears/Ricoh Auto Zoom MC 28-70 1.35-4.5 (Ricoh Pin Removed, A-KR pin removed, fully manual.)
    Sears/Ricoh Auto Zoom 1:3.5-4.5 35-75 (No Ricoh pin...)
    SMC-Pentax-M 1:2.5 50mm X2
    Ricoh-Rikenon 1:2 50mm (No Ricoh pin...)
    Ricoh/Auto Sears MC 1:2.8 135mm
    Chinar 1:2.8 28mm (Aperture Ring Issues)
    Pentax-A 1.1.7 50mm (Not for sale/trade...)
    Pentax KX (Black)(Not for sale/trade....)
    Pentax P3 (Would trade this...)
    K1000 (x2) (Would trade these...)

Pentax K Digital Auto Focus Lenses

Sigma DL Macro 1:4-5.6 70-300mm (Might trade this one...)
    Tamron AF-Aspherical 1:3.5-5.6 28-80 (Not for sale...)
    Tamron AF-Aspherical XR-Macro 1:3.8-5.6 28-200 (Might trade this one....)
    Tamron AF Aspherical 75-300mm (Not for sale/trade....)
    Pentax K-x DSLR(Not for sale/trade....)
    Pentax *ist DSLR(Not for sale/trade....)

Yashica (C/Y)

Tamron-F MC 28mm 1:2.8 (Aperture Ring Issues)
    YUS Auto 1:2.8 28mm (Rough looks, but works fine.)
    ML 50mm 1.17 (EC, not for sale...)
    ML 135mm 2.8 (EC, not for sale...)
    DSB 1:19 50mm (x2)
    Sigma Zoom Master MC 1.26-4.5 35-70mm
    Black FRI and FX-2 Bodies

MD-Rokkor-X 1:1.7 55mm
    MD-Rokkor-X 1.2 45mm (Not for sale or trade...)
    Phoenix-Samyang MC Auto Zoom 1:3.5-4.5 28-70mm
    Super Albinar MC Auto Zoom 1:45 80-200
    MC Soligor C/D 1:2.8 28mm
    X-700/XG-7 bodies

FD 50mm 1:18 (On Canon AE-1...)

Vivitar 3X-1 Auto Custom TC (M42)
    Vivitar 3X-8 Auto Custom TC (M42)
    Vivitar 2X-24 Auto TC (C/Y)
    NA Rokunar Auto Telecoverter (Unknown mount.)
    RMC Tokina Doubler for PK
    Lentar 3X Auto Converter (MD)
    Soligor 2X Auto-Tele (MD)

Hoya Macro Set +1, +2,+4
    Vivitar Macro Set +1, +2,+4 (Not for sale or trade....)

Macro Tubes

Dotline (M42) set no markings
    Vivitar (M42) AT-1-38M 12MM, 20MM (Not for sale or trade....)

E-series 50mm 1:1.8 (X2)
    Ananuma Auto Zoom 1:3.5 75-200
    Nikon EM

There are people on my other boards who would put my list to shame, but still I think I have had a healthy case of LBA the past few years, no? Now you know why I needed the Pen!!!! I have way too many lenses in too many mounts....